Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] Still Tired!! - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] Still Tired!! (/Thread-CPAP-Still-Tired)

Still Tired!! - jgunnin7 - 01-30-2020

Hello,

I began using a CPAP one month ago after my sleep study came back with 87 events per hour. I couldn't believe it. I have never thought I snored or stopped breathing, I am just exhausted every day and didn't know why. I am on my third mask, my first nasal mask and hoping this will be more comfortable. I felt like I was struggling to breathe through my nose and my mouth gets extremely dry at night, but the FFM were too constricting and I was having seal problems. However, I have used the machine every night and had fairly decent sleep scores according to MyAir. Why don't I feel any different? I am beginning to fear I will not see any progress. Today I had a sleep score of 100, a good mask seal, and I was still falling asleep on my lunch break. 
How long does it take to see results?? Should I expect to have much more energy? Any suggestions to keep clear nasal passages and cure dry mouth while using a nasal mask? Thanks!

RE: Still Tired!! - OpalRose - 01-30-2020

Hi jgunnin7,
The first thing we ask of you (if you have it) is to post a copy of your sleep study, the entire report (not just the summary.)

Also, download the OSCAR software. Be sure there is an SD card in your cpap when you are sleeping. You can use the links in my signature line below to guide you in organizing the daily page in OSCAR and then use the attachment feature to post that data here.

It's likely your pressure settings are not set optimally for you. We would only be guessing without seeing your data. You really can't count on "My Air" to give you any detailed data.
Its just a summary, and is designed to be sort of a cheerleader.

Read the Mask Primer. Link also in my signature line. This will give you some hints on how to adjust your mask. If you are using a nasal or nasal pillow mask, then you have to work really hard to breathe through your nose. It seems your jaw is dropping and letting air escape through your mouth and that will cause that awful dry mouth feeling.

Let us know the make of the masks you've tried and I'm sure you'll get more advice.

Untill you are able to post your data, can you look on your machine display and give us the AHI number and leak rate.

RE: Still Tired!! - ragtopcircus - 01-30-2020

Getting a dry mouth with a nasal mask suggests you may be opening your mouth in your sleep. Oscar data would be needed to confirm it, and as already stated Oscar is vital to getting your settings right.

Meanwhile though, it is safe to suggest you consider a soft cervical collar to both reduce chin tuck (for better breathing) and reduce mouth leaks.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Soft_Cervical_Collar

Nasacort or Fluticasone may help with the congestion. I also like a product called Xlear Max (saline spray with xylitol and a mild dose of capsaicin). If you have a high tolerance for spicy food, a product called Capsinol is even more effective, but it is a potent hit of capsaicin and may be too strong. Whatever you do, stay away from stuff like Afrin!!!

What do you have the humidity set at? Do you use a heated hose?

RE: Still Tired!! - SarcasticDave94 - 01-31-2020

Hi jgunnin7,

Welcome to the Apnea Board.

As suggested, keep an SD card in your machine to capture your nightly data and get OSCAR on your PC to view the data. A redacted detailed sleep study report would be helpful as well. This serves to give us a bit of history to suggest what you're dealing with and for us to help you optimize the therapy. You may want to read some wiki info on masks, dealing with a DME, and other helpful articles on machine choice, etc.

CPAP therapy takes a short amount of time to become beneficial. Having the right settings and tackling the mask issues will speed things up a bit.

Best to your success,

Coffee

RE: Still Tired!! - Dormeo - 01-31-2020

Some people immediately experience unbroken sleep and complete relief from daytime symptoms when they start PAP therapy, but for most of us it is a more gradual process. Patience will be one of the virtues you will benefit from, as will a spirit of problem-solving, which you are already showing.

Finding the right mask for your face and sleep habits can take a while too, and you are right to persevere. Meanwhile, others have given you a lot of good suggestions. If you keep us posted with more information, the experts here can help you move along toward feeling better.

RE: Still Tired!! - jgunnin7 - 02-04-2020

Thanks everyone! I am now using a Resmed Nasal Mask (AirFit N30i) and it is now at as constrcitive as the FFM but I am still awake a lot at night because I am not used to having something on my face. The chin strap and nose spray helped with the dry mouth (thanks RagTopCircus!) but it feels like I am struggling to breathe through my nose.
The only setting I can see by looking through the options on my machine is the humidity which is set at 4. I see the doc in a few weeks for a first follow up and I want to beg for surgery!! I am trying to upload my sleep study with this post. I think I did it correctly. Please let me know if anyone has any other suggestions. Thanks!

RE: Still Tired!! - SarcasticDave94 - 02-04-2020

Edit: according to the sleep study, we're only dealing with vanilla Obstructive Apnea. That's good because anything else gets complicated.

To adjust pressure settings, you will need to enter the clinician menu. Click the Home and push in on the dial, hold those both in for about 5 seconds. You're now in the clinician menu. When we see OSCAR charts, we can coach on the settings to optimize. You can also get a manual from the top banner. Search for your exact machine.

As for fatigue, etc.: you probably have been suffering with apnea longer than you're aware. That means you have a sleep debt to repay, which takes time, like possibly some months before starting to feel better. Don't give up though.

Best to ya.

Coffee

RE: Still Tired!! - jgunnin7 - 02-05-2020

Thank you.