Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Is this apnea? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Is this apnea? (/Thread-Is-this-apnea)

Pages: 1 2

Is this apnea? - crave303 - 02-04-2020

I finally have a doctors appt next week and i would like to understand this better before then if possible.

can anyone interpret this report?

11 times under 88%, but doesn't look catastrophic...?

thanks
[attachment=19673]

RE: Is this apnea? - geauxdbl - 02-04-2020

Doesn't look catastrophic, but there are enough dips into the 80s that I think you can expect a trial of CPAP. How do you feel on a normal night?

If you end up getting a diagnosis, stick with us and we'll help you through it.

RE: Is this apnea? - JoeyWallaby - 02-04-2020

Any other information?

RE: Is this apnea? - harrywr2 - 02-04-2020

Welcome to the forum
1.3 minutes below 90% isn't enough to qualify for supplemental oxygen. Medicare requires 5 minutes and sleep apnea, if present, to be treated.
23 Oxygen desaturation events per hour is a strong indicator of moderate sleep apnea.
You probably want to precomplete the Epworth Sleepiness Scale test as well(can be found online if you search).
Depending on your Doctor a confirming sleep study will probably be required before issuing a prescription.

RE: Is this apnea? - crave303 - 02-04-2020

always feel knackered but if i am allowed to sleep 12 hours (when off work) then i feel a lot better than normal.

could a badly deviated septum cause any of this? (oxygen desats)

i cannot breathe through a mask, feels like breathing through a tiny straw because of damaged nose... so is a sleep study is possible like this? or would i need nasal surgery first?

my SPO2 is down in the low 90s when AWAKE a lot of the time, and i have seen it at 88%... is that the deviated septum??

do other sleep apnea patients have low SPO2 when awake? or just when sleeping?

RE: Is this apnea? - harrywr2 - 02-04-2020

The desats generally indicate that you have stopped breathing. 
A desat is dropping more than 4% for 10 seconds. The change is Sp02 is what counts.
Breathing through your mouth is an option and is common among sleep apnea suffers and people with chronic nasal congestion. 
A nasal mask is 'preferred' by some physicians but many people end up using a full face mask.
I was a mouth breather for decades as has been the case for others here. 
With the help of the humidifier in the CPAP machine and flonase I do fine at night with nasal pillows rather than a full face mask. We are all individuals.
Pre-CPAP I was sleeping 10 hours a day and struggling with staying awake by lunch time. Now I sleep 7 hours most nights and have more energy than I had in years.

hmmm.... here is an oximeter i did while awake (across only 4.5 hours this time)

does that show desats too? if so what does that mean? if this normal?

[attachment=19676]

RE: Is this apnea? - Crimson Nape - 02-04-2020

Our breathing and SpO2 patterns are more sporadic while we are awake.  The oximeters record all results and don't filter out artifacts that can be caused by bumping the sensor.  Unfortunately, the reporting data only knows that this was a low point and not how it was created.  I prefer to look at the overall waveform to determine if this may be a trend or not.  In your case, it isn't.  

Bottom Line; Your results appear normal.

(02-04-2020, 12:03 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Our breathing and SpO2 patterns are more sporadic while we are awake.  The oximeters record all results and don't filter out artifacts that can be caused by bumping the sensor.  Unfortunately, the reporting data only knows that this was a low point and not how it was created.  I prefer to look at the overall waveform to determine if this may be a trend or not.  In your case, it isn't.  

Bottom Line; Your results appear normal.

Maybe i am reading it wrong (probably), but the bar graph at the bottom suggests i am spending nearly all my time in between 95% and 90%.

I thought anything below 95% SPO2 was considered abnormal/low?

It says here 0.0 artefacts.

RE: Is this apnea? - Crimson Nape - 02-04-2020

Your average is 95.6 and you didn't go below 88.