Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
How do you sleep on your back?! - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: How do you sleep on your back?! (/Thread-How-do-you-sleep-on-your-back)

How do you sleep on your back?! - Davidacarrick - 02-10-2020

Stupid question but how do you sleep on your back as when I try to do it my wife tells me to stop snoring! Is my minimum starting pressure too low? I start at 8 on my Resmed 10 auto?

How can I still be snoring??

RE: How do you sleep on your back?! - Gideon - 02-10-2020

Don't know with reviewing your current charts, can you post them please.

What is your EPR? EPR is the best treatment with the AutoSet for snoring.

A range of 4-20 almost invariably says you will have trouble, so please correct your profile.

RE: How do you sleep on your back?! - Davidacarrick - 02-10-2020

Sorry will do my settings are currently 8-15

RE: How do you sleep on your back?! - car54 - 02-10-2020

The snoring might be caused from chin tucking. Depending upon the height of your pillow and where you place your head, your head could be tilting down which can narrow or collapse you airway passages. I use a thin pillow which seems to help. You can also use a soft cervical collar which prevents your head from tilting.

car54

RE: How do you sleep on your back?! - mesenteria - 02-10-2020

The snoring is caused by air speeding up over slack tissues.  If you have a plugged nostril (which happens surprisingly often to most of us at least some time during the night, often closer to waking), or if the mask is pressing hard against the nose on one side (you're side or stomach sleeping, or you have an arm folded over your face), you make the indrawn air accelerate down the open channel, and that will cause a snore.  If the snore is in the throat, it's still the same thing...restricted cross-section and the inrushing air has to move like the dickens to get through it.  Causes vibrations of the tissues.

More volume or pressure may help, but I wouldn't put much money on it.  I get really low AHI under 1.0, often less than 0.5, but I still show the odd snore here and there scattered throughout the night in my OSCAR readouts.

RE: How do you sleep on your back?! - Hydrangea - 02-11-2020

I am able to sleep on my back if I crunch up a bunch of my pillow and put it at the crink of my neck. (Those are not technical words. LOL)

I use a My Pillow or a buckwheat pillow, which allow me to shift where the bulk of the stuffing is. I put it under my neck, so my head can tip back a bit - that makes it so my chin does not tuck.

RE: How do you sleep on your back?! - yrnkrn - 02-19-2020

I can't help but sleep on my back even though it makes my symptoms worse. Had tried all methods but couldn't avoid supine position.