Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New to This since January 31 - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New to This since January 31 (/Thread-New-to-This-since-January-31)

New to This since January 31 - Bugbitten - 02-22-2020

[attachment=20237][attachment=20236][attachment=20235]

Trying to make this work!
I can't seem to get through a whole night without taking it off for a while or just laying awake until exhausted and fall asleep. Terrible problems with dry mouth. I have used tape, chinstrap and both with full mask.
AHIs are worse now than before.

What am I doing wrong?

RE: New to This since January 31 - ApneaQuestions - 02-22-2020

Just a hint on organizing your charts..

Check my sig for the links talking about reordering the graphs in OSCAR and removing the pie chart and calendar etc.
When you upload future charts we'll then be able to see all the important information including the statistics area and the machine settings area on the left.

Other comments will come soon from others.

RE: New to This since January 31 - Dormeo - 02-23-2020

Welcome, Bugbitten. Sorry to hear you're having a tough time of it. How long have you been using a machine?

You'll benefit from some expert advice (which I'm not qualified to give), but let me mention one thing that some people find helpful for dry mouth. Xylimelts are discs that stick to your gums or teeth and help your mouth to produce more saliva. They are slow-release, so they're often good for the whole night, users report. A few people have diarrhea using them, but I think that's pretty uncommon.

RE: New to This since January 31 - Gideon - 02-23-2020

Try a soft cervical collar, it frequently does the same thing a chin strap is supposed to do and even can replace taping. Your UA and Hypopnea are clustered and it may even clear that up also. See my signature.

RE: New to This since January 31 - Dormeo - 02-23-2020

Oops, your subject line says how long you’ve been at it!

RE: New to This since January 31 - Bugbitten - 02-27-2020

Thanks for your replies.

Attached is last night file highlighting 2 minutes of a high apnea period.

I'm interested in the flow rate the the associated apneas.

During the 2 hour period that this comes from I am totally awake and to my best knowledge breathing normally.  Why do I have zero flow?

Thanks

edit: wrong pics posted, will redo
FIXED

RE: New to This since January 31 - MitchS - 02-27-2020

A soft cervical collar would be my suggestion for controlling mouth leaks, as well. I started out using a chin strap and a nasal cushion mask which worked for a while. Leaks started increasing, however, and I ended up having to switch to a soft cervical collar and full face mask to get them under control. 

I use ACT lozenges for dry mouth. They have the same active ingredient as Xlimelts. They can be purchased at Walmart.