Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Near death experience last night. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Near death experience last night. (/Thread-Near-death-experience-last-night)

Pages: 1 2

Near death experience last night. - Big Guy - 02-25-2020

I forgot to put water in the humidifier tank. First time this has happened.  Oh-jeez

Woke up my usual 3 or 4 times to use the restroom. Didn't realize my mistake, until I got up for the day. Pulled the tank to empty it, and only then was I aware of it being dry as a bone lying in the desert. 

Talk about a dry mouth............  Rolleyes

RE: Near death experience last night. - bobc322 - 02-25-2020

Do you have heated moisture ?  I live in Az.  This happens to me once in awhile. I don’t feel the tank on my dreamstation in large enough.

RE: Near death experience last night. - Big Guy - 02-25-2020

Although I do have and use a heated hose, I don't turn it on. I keep the humidity option on auto. I have tried different humidity settings in the past, but really didn't feel much of a difference. 

Our elevation is close to, or more than a mile high. I'm 17 months into my SA Therapy. There's only been a few times that the water reservoir was really low or it actually ran dry. 

If I do take the humidifier off auto, I usually run it at a pretty low setting. Usually a range of 2-5.

RE: Near death experience last night. - bobc322 - 02-25-2020

I have a heated hose and a heated water chamber however there is no adjustment for amount of moisture. I have found no advantage to heating either one. This is my fourth or fifth machine and not my favorite.

RE: Near death experience last night. - mrmagloo - 02-25-2020

LOL, before I started using a cervical collar, I had a bad habit of opening my mouth, the pressure would skyrocket, and I'd wake up with a tongue stiff as a rock. Definitely, no fun.

RE: Near death experience last night. - Big Guy - 02-25-2020

I'm a mouth-breather, and there's no way that I can breathe via my nose while sleeping. My AirFit F30 FFM does make breathing via my nose easier, but I simply cannot get into the habit of doing it. 

The longest I've gone via my nose has been but for a few minutes. Once I'm no longer distracted, it's back to my mouth.

RE: Near death experience last night. - srlevine1 - 02-26-2020

(02-25-2020, 11:14 AM)Big Guy Wrote: I forgot to put water in the humidifier tank. First time this has happened.  Oh-jeez

Woke up my usual 3 or 4 times to use the restroom. Didn't realize my mistake, until I got up for the day. Pulled the tank to empty it, and only then was I aware of it being dry as a bone lying in the desert. 

Talk about a dry mouth............  Rolleyes

Post it note on bathroom wall.

RE: Near death experience last night. - Homerec130 - 02-27-2020

I'm in AZ and have my humidifier set at 1 on my AirSense10. Normally it is set at 0 and I never have any issues with drying out. I live in the southern part of AZ and it gets hot and dry in the summer. I bumped it up a little as I have been fighting a nonproductive cough for the last month and the 1 helps. My hose is a 10 footer so it is NOT heated.

RE: Near death experience last night. - srlevine1 - 02-27-2020

(02-27-2020, 10:50 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: I'm in AZ and have my humidifier set at 1 on my AirSense10. Normally it is set at 0 and I never have any issues with drying out. I live in the southern part of AZ and it gets hot and dry in the summer. I bumped it up a little as I have been fighting a nonproductive cough for the last month and the 1 helps. My hose is a 10 footer so it is NOT heated.

Best thing for a non-product cough appears to be an expectorant (with no cough suppressant) like guaifenesin. It works great for me.

RE: Near death experience last night. - StevesSp - 02-28-2020

For us older blokes.

Beware some cough medications if you have an enlarged prostate.

I almost had to take myself to hospital when on holiday in Italy last year, when the old waterworks threatened to cease working entirely. this can be a very serious situation. It was especially bothersome because, at the time, I was feeling like cr*p due to catching a cold and cough.

Thankfully, it sorted itself out the next day and, though it bothered me off and on for a few days, it didn't get too serious, just uncomfortable and inconvenient.

Well, I found out later that any cold/cough medication with the decongestants pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine will make the symptoms of BPH (non-cancerous prostate enlargement) worse. Sufficiently worse, if you're unlucky, to cause total retention, an emergency trip to the hospital and some rather painful intervention.

Be warned.