Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Feel like I'm suffocating. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Feel like I'm suffocating. (/Thread-Feel-like-I-m-suffocating)

Pages: 1 2

Feel like I'm suffocating. - Respir8 - 02-29-2020

Does anyone else feel like they are not getting enough air when they first go to bed.? I turned the ramp off and so it starts at 7. I notice the pressure averages about 12.5 so should I turn the starting pressure up a bit?

The air also feels too warm I have the humidity set at 2 but I don't know how to turn the heating off entirely. I have turned the preheat off. I sleep at 66 degrees and do not like warm air.

RE: Feel like I'm suffocating. - OpalRose - 02-29-2020

Respir8,
First thing is to order a Clinicians Manual for your machine.  This will show you how to make all the necessary adjustments with the humidifier.
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pressure/change-cpap-pressure-settings-adjusting-your-machine-with-a-clinician-setup-manual

Then download OSCAR software.  Follow the links in my signature line for instructions to post a screenshot of the daily page here.  This way we can see what's going on and advise accordingly.

You may need a pressure increase, but post some data first so that we are not quessing.

RE: Feel like I'm suffocating. - Sleeprider - 02-29-2020

My starting pressure is 13/9 in bilevel, so I get quite a bit more air than you do to start. We are all individuals and have our own needs. Experiment with pressure and see what feels best. Reducing the range of pressure so that you are much closer to your median pressure is a good strategy for comfort and to reduce sleep disruption. When coaching for optimization, my rule of thumb is to keep the starting pressure to within 3-cm of the 95% pressure.

RE: Feel like I'm suffocating. - Gideon - 02-29-2020

I find that I feel starved for air at 10 and under, My starting is 11 for comfort, and it sits there all night most nights, very little variance. I'm sure if I titrated down I'd have a very good AHI well under 10, but for comfort, I'm above it. Otherwise, I'm one of those ripping the mask off and that is not good (77-93 AHI, depending on which study, without CPAP).
This is one reason you always see me asking how you feel, and getting negative feedback is very important.

RE: Feel like I'm suffocating. - SarcasticDave94 - 02-29-2020

As for the humidifier, your setting range should be Off then 1-8. Try a switch to Manual mode and Off for the setting. If it feels uncomfortable, you may actually need to keep water in it and go from Off to 1.

RE: Feel like I'm suffocating. - Nightynite - 02-29-2020

I use to always run my humidifier on 4 and always had congestion problems, In my on mind I believed the humidifier with heat was the cure for congestion. WRONG!

I then turned it off and I was surprised. Very little congestion. But every once in a while I will feel dried out in the early hrs. of the morning and reach over and turn it to 1 or 2.

I always keep water in the chamber, but bounce back and forth between off and 1 or 2.

Nightynite, heat IS the answer for some, but as you discovered the opposite is true for you. Always check both directions when humidity is an issue.

RE: Feel like I'm suffocating. - Nightynite - 02-29-2020

(02-29-2020, 12:41 PM)bonjour Wrote: Nightynite, heat IS the answer for some, but as you discovered the opposite is true for you.  Always check both directions when humidity is an issue.

Yep so true!    For over a yr. I always thought you had to have the humidity. I never really though about not using it. I wish I would have experimented sooner.

I may be wrong but even if it is in the OFF mode. Your still getting moisture, it’s just not heated. Correct?

yes, as long as water is in the chamber

RE: Feel like I'm suffocating. - Respir8 - 02-29-2020

I have the manual for my machine and changed the lowest pressure to 8 instead of 7. I'll try turning the humidity right off. I haven't got oscar running yet, my laptop is having issues (spouse related - don't even go there)

What about the epr? 2 or 3?

Thanks for the input. I felt like I was doing better when I first started so it is discouraging.