Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
ResMed Noisy (Pnuematic Block) Replacement - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: ResMed Noisy (Pnuematic Block) Replacement (/Thread-ResMed-Noisy-Pnuematic-Block-Replacement)

Pages: 1 2

ResMed Noisy (Pnuematic Block) Replacement - 3rdMarDiv - 03-17-2020

Dealing with a noisy ResMed CPAP machine and noticed that no recent posts have been mad regarding this issue and possible causes and costs. I am dealing with Supplier #27 and have authorized this "Pneumatic Block" repair. I also had a problem that my heated tube was not being recognized.

Prior to sending in the machine Supplier #27 did an over the phone preliminary diagnosis.

The tech I spoke with felt that the heated tube issue was a communication cable and likely not the PC Board, which, is a possible $250 expense. (Whew!)

By noisy I am saying it was making an odd higher pitched noise depending on inhale or exhale. I placed the unit into a good sized duffel bag (well larger than the machine) in order to quiet it down. It should be quite quiet...LOL There could also be slight burnt wire smell.

After receiving the unit the Tech let me know that a cable had became unplugged and fixed it at no charge. They also made other tests to insure that possible foreseeable problems were eliminated. Calibration was preformed.

Very polite, fast and professional service.

[attachment=21099]

If you have any further questions about my experience with supplier # 27 feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer the questions.

Coffee

RE: ResMed Noisy (Pnuematic Block) Replacement - jaswilliams - 03-17-2020

Thanks for your review glad to know the costs and prompt efficient service

RE: ResMed Noisy (Pnuematic Block) Replacement - SarcasticDave94 - 03-17-2020

That's good to know. Thx.

RE: ResMed Noisy (Pnuematic Block) Replacement - Sleeprider - 03-18-2020

Thanks! Acbio is a really good service provider and at one time was active on the forum.  It's very helpful to put some $ numbers to these kinds of repairs.  Much less thaan a new machine.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=21099]

RE: ResMed Noisy (Pnuematic Block) Replacement - johnsnoreba - 03-18-2020

The invoice shows "Air 10". Must be an AirSense 10? Mine has a small air noise at the machine hose swivel joint which gets louder during exhale. A new hose has not fixed it. Heat is OK. Did your problem start like this and get worse?

The smell could have been arcing in the loose connector. Even with what must be small DC voltage, the tiny gauge wires can do this. 
As an example in the automotive field, my resistor block for the heater fan had crappy terminals and arcing resulted, eventually building enough residue to kill the circuit.

RE: ResMed Noisy (Pnuematic Block) Replacement - Sleeprider - 03-18-2020

(03-18-2020, 09:52 AM)johnsnoreba Wrote: The invoice shows "Air 10". Must be an AirSense 10? Mine has a small air noise at the machine hose swivel joint which gets louder during exhale. A new hose has not fixed it. Heat is OK. Did your problem start like this and get worse?

The smell could have been arcing in the loose connector. Even with what must be small DC voltage, the tiny gauge wires can do this. 
As an example in the automotive field, my resistor block for the heater fan had crappy terminals and arcing resulted, eventually building enough residue to kill the circuit.

John, the outlet swivel for the Airsense 10 is easily replaceable for under $10. It includes the silicone seal that fits on the inside.  Search ResMed Air Outlet Adapter for AirSense 10, AirStart 10 & AirCurve 10 Machines. Check Supplier #26 or #1

RE: ResMed Noisy (Pnuematic Block) Replacement - 3rdMarDiv - 03-26-2020

(03-18-2020, 09:52 AM)johnsnoreba Wrote: The invoice shows "Air 10". Must be an AirSense 10? Mine has a small air noise at the machine hose swivel joint which gets louder during exhale. A new hose has not fixed it. Heat is OK. Did your problem start like this and get worse?

Unfortunately, no as it was that way when I got is used but only 3900 hours.

What I can tell you is that the noise was irritating.

I can also tell you that I used it last night and had trouble discerning if it was even running. Huge difference.

I can also recommend you call the Supplier #27 as you should be able to speak with a tech and get an over the phone prognosis.

I am cheap and would have continued to use it if the noise was tolerable...It was not.

Coffee

RE: ResMed Noisy (Pnuematic Block) Replacement - 3rdMarDiv - 03-26-2020

Great point SR $ amounts make a big difference going into any repair.

My summary after return from Supplier #27 report is:

Ground FedEx shipping came back in 4 days.
Well packaged and arrived in good condition.
Sent me a tracking number.

They stayed at their original quote seen above. No surprises..!

Used the machine last night and was very happy. Almost could not tell it was running.
Climateline heated hose was recognized and worked great.

As they say "Whisper Quiet"...

RE: ResMed Noisy (Pnuematic Block) Replacement - ragtopcircus - 03-31-2020

Great to have a ballpark idea! My spare Vauto is kind of loud. When I travelled with it in December, I put it on the floor beside the bed with a pillow on it. My home use Vauto is pretty quit. It sits right next to my head and doesn’t bother me. I’ve thought about getting the PB replaced, but didn’t know if it would be worthwhile.

RE: ResMed Noisy (Pnuematic Block) Replacement - 3rdMarDiv - 04-01-2020

(03-31-2020, 08:47 PM)ragtopcircus Wrote: Great to have a ballpark idea! My spare Vauto is kind of loud. When I travelled with it in December, I put it on the floor beside the bed with a pillow on it. My home use Vauto is pretty quit. It sits right next to my head and doesn’t bother me. I’ve thought about getting the PB replaced, but didn’t know if it would be worthwhile.

Yea, I was putting the entire machine in a large travel case/duffel bag and zipping it about 3/4 closed. That worked well, but I'm the kind of person that feels if something is wrong that I may be doing more damage by waiting or creating my own work around.

The Supplier #27 did a good job diagnosing the problem over the phone and I had a rough idea about price before sending it in. Once they got it they gave me quote quickly and stuck with that price.

I guess used hours would make a big difference. My machine was at 3900 hours and from my reading 20,000 hours is considered normal wear. However, I also saw that, if the machine is well cared for, that 50,000 hours is easily possible.

At roughly $1,800.00 new cost it was a no brainier for me.

They also do a thorough inspection, testing and calibration. It's like a new machine now.

With money I put into it and repair cost I'm around 500 dollars. Can't beat that..!

[attachment=21504]

This is a pic of the tub, on tap water, when I got the machine. A lot of people are referring to this failing pneumatic block as a design issue. Imagine what that pneumatic block went through with regard to abuse.

You can clean the tub but you can't clean inside the machine. Use distilled or purified water.

Coffee