Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Advice - First night with new machine - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (http://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Advice - First night with new machine (/Thread-Advice-First-night-with-new-machine)

Pages: 1 2

Advice - First night with new machine - YYCBrian - 03-25-2020

Good morning all,
I am currently trialing machines prior to purchase.  I used a Phillips Dreamstation for 15 days.  Last night was my first night with a Resmed Airsense 10 autoset.  My numbers are attached below.  Do any of you experts with experience with this machine have any advice on settings?  Some of the settings I  would appreciate opinions on are Ramp (on or off?  I am pretty comfortable with adapting to pressure, so should I just turn it off to get to higher pressures sooner?), and EPR (on or off, which level if on?).

Any other observations on my numbers you would care to share?
[attachment=21343]
Brian

RE: Advice - First night with new machine - Sleeprider - 03-25-2020

With pressure at 7.6 to 16.0 and EPR 2, you seem to be sensitive to the EPR and are experiencing CA events. I think you can cut your EPR back to 1 and do better until you adjust, and I don't see a need for maximum pressure more than 9.0. Based on what I'm seeing here, minimum pressure to 7.0, maximum to 9.0 and EPR at 1

RE: Advice - First night with new machine - Sleeprider - 03-25-2020

Brian, it would be interesting to see how you did on your Dreamstation as well You have a significant amount of central apnea here, and if that was also true for the Dreamstation, you might need a different therapy from CPAP. ASV is used to treat central apnea and therapy onset central or complex apnea. Was there any central events noted on your sleep study?

RE: Advice - First night with new machine - YYCBrian - 03-25-2020

Thanks for the ideas Sleeprider. Later tonight I can dig up some of the details from the dreamstation, and check my original sleepstudy to see if there was Central Apneas documented.

I'll drop the EPR to 1 on the Resmed for tonight as well.

Brian

RE: Advice - First night with new machine - Dormeo - 03-25-2020

About ramp. Especially with the adjustments recommended by Sleeprider, I think you can just turn the ramp off. I bet you'll never miss it.

I'm curious: have you noticed a difference in comfort switching from the PR machine to the ResMed? Like a lot of people, I found that the PR machine seemed to be trying to rush me into inhaling, while ResMed machine does a nice job of following my breathing. But not everyone has this same reaction.

RE: Advice - First night with new machine - YYCBrian - 03-25-2020

(03-25-2020, 11:09 AM)Dormeo Wrote: About ramp.  Especially with the adjustments recommended by Sleeprider, I think you can just turn the ramp off.  I bet you'll never miss it.

I'm curious: have you noticed a difference in comfort switching from the PR machine to the ResMed?  Like a lot of people, I found that the PR machine seemed to be trying to rush me into inhaling, while ResMed machine does a nice job of following my breathing.  But not everyone has this same reaction.

I found the Resmed accommodated a more natural style of breathing, as opposed to a more forceful or intentional breathing required for the Phillips.  It seemed very comfortable last night, so I was a little surprised by the AHI numbers when I downloaded them to Oscar.

RE: Advice - First night with new machine - Dormeo - 03-25-2020

Good, I'm glad the ResMed is more comfortable. You are in good hands for strategies to bring your AHI down.

RE: Advice - First night with new machine - YYCBrian - 03-28-2020

Here are three additional nights of data.  I welcome any suggestions.  I am feeling pretty good overall.  Brian
[attachment=21405][attachment=21407][attachment=21406]

RE: Advice - First night with new machine - Sleeprider - 03-28-2020

Well on second thought the CA events are not too bad, and I think some of it is caused by the frequent leaks. A more steady pressure between 8 and 10 might help. Again, higher pressures don't seem to have much value to your therapy.

RE: Advice - First night with new machine - YYCBrian - 03-30-2020

Sleeprider, you had asked about central events from a sleep study.  It took a while, but I found this one.  It is my most recent one.  It was done while I was wearing a mandibular advancement device.  I hope it helps.  Brian
[attachment=21465][attachment=21466]