Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[How to] TELEMEDICINE - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [How to] TELEMEDICINE (/Thread-How-to-TELEMEDICINE)

TELEMEDICINE - srlevine1 - 03-28-2020

Does anyone in the forum use "telemedicine" and willing to share computer requirements and setup instructions for both windows and mac computers?

RE: TELEMEDICINE - Crimson Nape - 03-28-2020

In Atlanta, one hospital/medical group is starting to use "ExamMed". You are sent an email with an invitation link to a protected connection. When you select the link, you can elect to use your browser or download the app, "ExamMed", from either Google Play or the Apple Store. The only requirement is to use a device that has video capability. The hardest part was opening firewalls and computer permission configurations on the hospital/medical group's computers.

RE: TELEMEDICINE - DeepBreathing - 03-28-2020

Not telemedicine, but I'm just about to start remote cello lessons. The requirements are a device (phone, tablet or PC) with camera, microphone and speakers, and somewhere to place the device so that its camera captures your face, bow and left hand. I'm using Zoom on an old iPad.

For a medical consultation I would imagine very similar requirements would apply. Maybe also have a thermometer, pulse-oximeter, and a microphone capably of hearing internal processes such as heartbeat, lung sounds (especially bubbling).

RE: TELEMEDICINE - Stom - 03-28-2020

I'm thinking it's really going to depend. Teleedicine is any remote diagnosis and treatment, so it's everything from phone calls to specialized apps. There is no one answer and will depend on what kind of medicine your care provider uses.

RE: TELEMEDICINE - Damiansd - 03-29-2020

(03-28-2020, 08:46 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Not telemedicine, but I'm just about to start remote cello lessons. The requirements are a device (phone, tablet or PC) with camera, microphone and speakers, and somewhere to place the device so that its camera captures your face, bow and left hand. I'm using Zoom on an old iPad.

My son has started providing piano lessons from the music school he works at. At this stage they are just using Skype. Same requirements as DB mentioned.

RE: TELEMEDICINE - Jeff8356 - 03-29-2020

Whatever electronic method you choose for telemedicine make sure the connection is secure (meaning encrypted). If it's via web browser you should get the little lock near the address bar. If it's an app, check the documentation first.
Your doctors office should have info available about which type of telemedicine they use (if any), and what is required. Many Insurance companies have a "nurses hotline" you can call for basic stuff. Local county health departments usually have hotline number setup, although they may be overwhelmed at the moment. Some third party medical places offer remote medicine, just be aware of any costs upfront.

Will also depend on whether or not your insurance company covers telemedicine, and what type. You wouldn't want to get stuck with some enourmous bill....