Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
cpap eye bags - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: cpap eye bags (/Thread-cpap-eye-bags)

cpap eye bags - hegel - 04-04-2020

I started using a full face mask recently, moving on from my beloved P10 nasal pillows due to mouth leaks. The face mask is working and I've achieved excellent seal, as far as I can tell--and the resmed tracking site confirms this. However, I'm getting new morning puffy bags beneath my normal bags. These last quite a while. this never happened with my nasal pillows, which vented differently. I think it's the venting air which is causing this (?). I use the Airfit f20 resmed mask and it vents upwards, towards my face.

Any advice/suggestions? The mask works great other than this. 

--Jeff

p.s. I sleep on my back on a gentle reclining 'pillow' so my head is raised up from flat. I also spend some time on either side.

RE: cpap eye bags - Melman - 04-04-2020

I also have the airfit F20 but don't feel any venting on my face. The mask may be leaking where the cushion fits against and over the bridge of your nose. I sometimes experience that. Often I can get a better seal by simply lifting the mask slightly from my face while the machine is running. Sometimes I need to adjust the straps slightly slightly.

RE: cpap eye bags - hegel - 04-04-2020

thanks Melman. I do exactly what you do every time: gently lift the mask and then make any adjustments to my straps. You may be right about the nose bridge area. However the resmed 'my air' report indicates a perfect seal--except for the few nights when I experimented with loosening the straps around my nose and cheeks. I got the cheek farts and the resmed site picked up on it.

When I first started using the mask I got some air vented around my eyes but learned to adjust it so that stopped. I just wonder if it reflects off of my blankets or pillows or...something. something is causing the bags, that I never had with my nasal pillows for a decade.

the stupid mask liners are really expensive and you have to experiment to find the right ones. so I'm reluctant to try them. I have a bump at the top of my nose bridge. mabe it's just anatomy.

RE: cpap eye bags - Hydrangea - 04-05-2020

Can you rotate the direction of the tube, so the venting goes away from your face?  That's what I have to do.

P.S. I gave up my beloved P10 because of the same reason - suddenly not being able to keep my mouth closed.  I thought it was a *me* problem. What I've come to learn is that it's a P10 venting problem. The vent seems to get blocked up over time, causing re-breathing... which the body inherently dislikes and rejects, thus causing the mouth to get air instead.  Sure enough, I use *any other nasal pillow/mask*, and my mouth stays closed just fine.

RE: cpap eye bags - mper6794 - 04-06-2020

....my experience with with airfit f20: it looks not provoking eye-bags.

....eye-bags for me, I kind of wellcomming them: they look associated with  quieter better nights, less moves due to PLMS/RLS.

....Leaks sometimes due to minor/significant shifts (sedation/hanging falling head, just prior and after entering in REM, etc). When aware, I have been correcting leaks with minor adjustments on straps or pull out and back. 

.....Main problem with AirfitF20, for me: leaks tend to become detrimental under pressures higher than some 11.8/12.0.

good luck