Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Resmed S9 Autoset - Pressure problem - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Resmed S9 Autoset - Pressure problem (/Thread-Resmed-S9-Autoset-Pressure-problem)

Pages: 1 2

Resmed S9 Autoset - Pressure problem - Chrono9084 - 03-13-2013

Brief History: I started using my Resmed S9 Autoset about 2 months ago. I started on Autoset mode using the Swift FX nasal pillows. I found that I could not prevent mouth breathing (and taping my mouth shut was not an option) so I swapped to the Resmed Mirage Liberty which worked pretty well but I ended up getting leaks if I rolled over. I have finally settled on my Mirage Quattro as the best option even though that it will leak now and then.

About three weeks ago I went in for my first download. My machine was set to CPAP mode and set at 11 for pressure. Two nights ago my wife mentioned that I was snoring with my mask on yet the machine showed 11 pressure and 0.1 AHI for the the night. Last night I woke up with the machine barely giving me any pressure at all (I was gasping for air). When I looked at the machine it was still on (not on cooldown mode). When I looked at the readout for that night it showed 11 pressure with 0.2 AHI.

The mask was not leaking. The hose was not leaking. I could not hear any leaks coming from the machine.

So...any ideas? The fact that it is reading 11 pressure for the night (even though I was not getting that) makes me think there is some malfunction within the machine but I just am not sure what it could be.

Thanks in advance!

RE: Resmed S9 Autoset - Pressure problem - trish6hundred - 03-13-2013

Hi Chrono9084,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Did you try unplugging your machine for a few minutes?
Hang in there for more suggestions to your post and best of luck getting your machine working.

RE: Resmed S9 Autoset - Pressure problem - vsheline - 03-13-2013

(03-13-2013, 01:29 PM)Chrono9084 Wrote: About three weeks ago ... machine was set to CPAP mode and set at 11 for pressure. Two nights ago my wife mentioned that I was snoring with my mask on yet the machine showed 11 pressure and 0.1 AHI for the the night. Last night I woke up with the machine barely giving me any pressure at all (I was gasping for air). When I looked at the machine it was still on (not on cooldown mode). When I looked at the readout for that night it showed 11 pressure with 0.2 AHI.

Hi Chrono9084, welcome to the forum!

If you woke up gasping for air (or even if merely snoring) I think that is an indication the pressure was set too low. (But also, it may help to prevent sleeping on your back by wearing a teeshirt with a tennis ball in a sock or pocket sewn between the shoulder blades or higher.)

You may want to call and ask that the machine be put back in Auto mode as soon as possible.

If your doctor or therapist wants to limit the minimum pressure to 11 for some reason then fine (and maybe you can use Ramp and/or EPR to make that more comfortable), but I suggest the max pressure should be set at or a little above above whatever was the max pressure the machine adjusted itself to when it was in Auto mode for several weeks.

Regarding your machine reporting a pressure of 11, maybe it was reporting the median pressure for the whole night rather than the pressure at that moment.

If you have SmartStart enabled, perhaps a momentary big leak caused the machine to interrupt treatment, but in that case the machine should have turned itself off and started the cool-down period.

It would be a good idea to install ResScan 4.2 and to look over your detailed data for yourself, and ask your therapist (or the forum) about anything in your data you have questions about.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

RE: Resmed S9 Autoset - Pressure problem - zonk - 03-13-2013

Its normal not feel the pressure as much as we get used it after a while.
At times I had to put my hand in front of the mask to feel the air coming out from the vents holes
For piece of mind, take machine to your supplier and have pressure checked by manometer

As you,re using your AutoSet CPAP mode at 11, it will show and blow 11 all night except during Ramp period

To view leak rate, press both silver button for 3 seconds and then set period to one day. Shown here in pictures and video setup instructions
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

If you have got yet, the manual is available via email, scroll down to bottom page (section three)
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pressure/change-cpap-pressure-settings-adjusting-your-machine-with-a-clinician-setup-manual

Snoring might indicate some pressure adjustment but why don,t you download the software so you can see for yourself if snoring persist during the night or just for brief period which might not be that significant to do anything as set pressure doing its job

The important question ... how you feel?

RE: Resmed S9 Autoset - Pressure problem - Shastzi - 03-14-2013

what zonk said.
I would also hook up a tee fitting with a digital manometer just to check on the machine itself now & then. Wink

RE: Resmed S9 Autoset - Pressure problem - mybipap - 04-04-2013

Hello, I have been on the VPAP S9 Auto for about a week. My AHI is 54 and the Doctor wrote the Rx for 13/9. I requested the auto over the VPAP S. The clinician set it at ipap 20, epap 4 and Support pressure of 4.
The problem I have is it goes right up to 19.1 even if I'm wake and setting up on the bed, don't seem right to me. I think the VPAP is defective. but,
The clinician seems less knowledgeable about the operation of the unit than me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

RE: Resmed S9 Autoset - Pressure problem - trish6hundred - 04-04-2013

Just a thought, if you have ramp and it is turned off, your pressure probably will go up to the higher pressure. But hang in there for more suggestions to help you get your problem worked out.

RE: Resmed S9 Autoset - Pressure problem - vsheline - 04-04-2013

(04-04-2013, 01:53 PM)mybipap Wrote: Hello, I have been on the VPAP S9 Auto for about a week. My AHI is 54 and the Doctor wrote the Rx for 13/9. I requested the auto over the VPAP S. The clinician set it at ipap 20, epap 4 and Support pressure of 4.
The problem I have is it goes right up to 19.1 even if I'm wake and setting up on the bed, don't seem right to me. I think the VPAP is defective. but,
The clinician seems less knowledgeable about the operation of the unit than me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi mybipap, welcome to the forum!

Is your AHI 54 with treatment using the S9 VPAP Auto, or was 54 the untreated AHI?

I consider the S9 VPAP Auto (which I used for about a year) an excellent machine. It has 3 modes: the basic CPAP mode, the VPAP S mode (which is just the standard bi-level mode with the machine Synchronizing itself to your breathing rate) and the VPAP Auto mode (which is like the VPAP S mode except, like an S9 AutoSet machine, the EPAP pressure self-adjusts to minimize Snore, Flow Limitation, and obstructive events).

So, if desired, the machine can be set up to operate exactly like an S9 VPAP S machine with your prescribed pressures of 13/9 (that is, EPAP=9 and PS=4).

If you suspect the unit is defective, however, perhaps your DME can contact ResMed to open an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization). I think ResMed Customer service would help your DME to verify whether there may be a hardware problem before opening the RMA.

Good luck, and take care,
--- Vaughn

RE: Resmed S9 Autoset - Pressure problem - sleepyays - 06-05-2013

Hi @ Chrono9084,

I have exactly the same problem with the same settings after about 6 months of satisfied usage! Did you find out what the cause was?
I should mention that I am a sleep researcher (data analysis, algorithm development) who has looked at thousands of recordings. The fact that the machine saves data to SD claiming that the pressure is all right and even worse the AHI is low is quite disturbing to me. Just from my own observations and the independent complaints of my wife I am pretty sure that the saved data and AHI are wrong! I suspect a calibration or firmware issue as manual pressure increase to 16 seemed to result in a substential pressure increase. I don't have have the proper tools to check exact pressure.

Thanks!

you wrote:
(03-13-2013, 01:29 PM)Chrono9084 Wrote: Brief History: I started using my Resmed S9 Autoset ... I have finally settled on my Mirage Quattro as the best option even though that it will leak now and then. My machine was set to CPAP mode and set at 11 for pressure. Two nights ago my wife mentioned that I was snoring with my mask on yet the machine showed 11 pressure and 0.1 AHI for the the night. Last night I woke up with the machine barely giving me any pressure at all (I was gasping for air). When I looked at the machine it was still on (not on cooldown mode). When I looked at the readout for that night it showed 11 pressure. The mask was not leaking. The hose was not leaking. I could not hear any leaks coming from the machine.

RE: Resmed S9 Autoset - Pressure problem - CJ Maloney - 06-27-2013

For the life of me I can't find out how to reset the pressure on the ResMed S9. Is this a big secret? I was able to adjust my old ResMed from 16 to 14. I've lost 50 lbs since the original machine was set to 16.

Can't someone tell me straight out how to lower the pressure or is that a criminal offense punishable by death. Honestly, they're going to make me go through another sleep study and who knows when it will be scheduled.

If this is an inappropriate question, please forgive my ignorance.

CJ