Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New Device no data? not sure about options - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New Device no data? not sure about options (/Thread-New-Device-no-data-not-sure-about-options)

Pages: 1 2

New Device no data? not sure about options - coraxwolf - 04-12-2020

I am hoping someone can advise me here and that this is the right place to ask these questions.

I had a ResMed AirCurve 10 BiPAP for a few years and used it with the Sleepyhead software.

That device died 6 months ago and I've just managed to get a new device.  The company that supported me with my old device vanished (Global Sleep) 
and my current doctor and insurance got me setup with APNIX and they ended up giving me a ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP only.

This new device isn't like my old machine, despite looking similar, and didn't even come with a SD Card.  I used my own and get told in the software that there isn't usable data.

I am understanding that not all machines record the same data, and that this machine doesn't record more.  I don't know why I was given a CPAP and not a BiPAP as I've always been provided a BiPAP before.  I don't fully understand the difference.  The rep over the phone deferred any questions to insurance or my general doctor.  I've never had any full discussions about my sleep with my general doctor before.  They were always handled by the sleep tech/nurse that I got the device from.  Is my general doctor the right person to talk to about the device that I have/get?  Especially now I don't want to make pointless appointments.  

Is it permissible to ask the device provider to provide another machine for me to use?

RE: New Device no data? not sure about options - Gideon - 04-12-2020

I would insist on it!!!
I would honestly take back the CPAP and flat tell them no *^%!( way!!! and leave it in there office and ask for a receipt for it. This is IMHO an essential Medical trip.
The ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP has nothing more than basic summary data, we call it a brick!!
A BiLevel, do you know what model? A BiLevel works on 2 pressures that can be widely separated, specifically a different setting for exhale and inhale. This difference allows much better treatment of Flow Limits, RERAs, Hypopneas, UARS, and even snores. It is not trivial.

do you know why you were on a BiLevel?
The biLevel we mostly recommend is the ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto, but it does depend on what is being treated.

RE: New Device no data? not sure about options - coraxwolf - 04-12-2020

Thank you for the reply.

I meant pointless appointments was about talking to by general doctor about my sleep when he's just going to tell me to talk to the sleep doctor again (actually never talked to the actual doctor just the techs and sales reps).

My old machine was a ResMed AirCurve 10 with pressures at 16 - 22.  My first diagnoses (about 5 years ago) I was told that my events were "off the charts".  That was with a different general practice doctor and insurance with a previous job.  This is with my current job and a new doctor (they use a clinic so I don't see the same person each time) when my old machine broke I had to go to him for a prescription and that took a few months to get the tests approved and then approved for the machine.  

I can call them (APNIX) Monday and request they swap out the machine with an AirCurve 10?

RE: New Device no data? not sure about options - pholynyk - 04-12-2020

If you still have SleepyHead on your computer, you could take a look at one of the last Daily charts. In the left column somewhere below the calendar it will give you the model name of your old machine. Or on the Statistics page, at the bottom under Machine Information it will give the model name and number. The number there in Parenthesis will give us the exact model that you were using; and should - almost certainly - get again.

RE: New Device no data? not sure about options - coraxwolf - 04-12-2020

Silly me uninstalled Sleepyhead to install the new OSCAR software.  thought it would help.  The uninstall removed the software cause in the new software I only have 2 days of results.

but I still have the old machine and it's serial number so I should be able to get the same model.

RE: New Device no data? not sure about options - Crimson Nape - 04-12-2020

Did you delete the Sleepyhead Data file as well?

RE: New Device no data? not sure about options - pholynyk - 04-12-2020

We are a persistent bunch, aren't we?

It's possible to import the Backup folder from your SleepyHead profile...

But it's easier to find the model number on the old machine...

RE: New Device no data? not sure about options - DeepBreathing - 04-12-2020

coraxwolf Wrote:but I still have the old machine and it's serial number so I should be able to get the same model.

Excellent!  
[Image: excellent-fhzel1.jpg]  

The machine model will be printed at the lower right corner. It should be something like "Aircurve 10 VAuto" or "Aircurve 10 ASV".  The model number will be on the label on the back.

[Image: ResMed-AirCurve-10.png]

The problem I see it is that you previously had a bilevel machine which would have been prescribed for a particular condition such as COPD, central apnea or obstructive apnea requiring higher pressures. This machine does and you have been provided with a bare-bones bottom of the line machine which is highly unlikely to treat your condition. Further, that machine won't give any usable data to track and fine tune your therapy.

Let's be charitable and assume there was an honest mistake. The links in the chain are 1) The DME, and 2) the doctor.
  • Approach the DME, tell them you will not accept delivery of the Airsense 10 CPAP as it is not the appropriate machine to replace your bilevel.
  • If you have a copy of the prescription, what does it say? This is important as the DME needs to dispense what the doctor has ordered. If you don't have a copy, get one from the doctor and ask the DME to send you a copy as well.
  • If the prescription calls for a bilevel, then the DME must dispense that. They can't substitute a basic CPAP.
  • If the prescription calls for a CPAP, then you need to ask your doctor what's going on. Presumably this can be done by phone or Skype so you don't need to physically attend.
  • In any event, do not accept the brick machine.

RE: New Device no data? not sure about options - coraxwolf - 04-13-2020

Don't know what to say.  Didn't expect this.

Called the DME (APNIX) today and the lady told me that my device was recording data and I wasn't able to view it only they could.

When i started explaining the model of the machine that I had and the model the I use to have she informed me that the ResMed didn't make an AirCurve for CPAP and they only made the model that I have now.  She got more upset when I asked about my prescription and directed me to speak with my doctor about my device.

Long and short she told me that I only have one option for a device and Insurance won't cover any other device and only my doctor can change my device.

RE: New Device no data? not sure about options - Gideon - 04-13-2020

I would tell APNIX, thanks, but no thanks, here is your machine, I refuse to do business with you. (this is easier if you have not used the machine.)
I would get your device from another DME. Ask your Insurance which DME's are "in-network" and call all of them to find a better one.
If you are without insurance, you can still get a machine.
Call your doctor and let him know what is going on. Include that this DME is one that you refuse to work with, etc and so on. Also discussions on a different machine.

Exactly what machine do you have, and again why do you have a BiLevel? This is to help us to help you.