Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Haven't slept in a week - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Haven't slept in a week (/Thread-Haven-t-slept-in-a-week)

Haven't slept in a week - Justwannasleep1 - 04-14-2020

I’ve recently struggled with my Phillips Dream Station. I’ve been a CPAP user for about three years with moderate success. The truth is that I never adjusted any settings up until about a year ago when it wasn’t acting properly. I have no idea what my initial settings were. Currently I have my dream station set on Auto with a min of 7.5 & max of around 16. Over time most of my struggles have been with humidity and air actually irritating my cartridge in one nostril from a deviated septum. My most recent and biggest problem has been air coming back into my mouth, causing my cheeks to push up until a basically open my mouth to burp it out. To me, this feels like a setting. I’ve never had this issue before. I’ve attached my graphs from OSCAR but this is my first time doing this. I appreciate any support whatsoever as I JUSTWANNASLEEP

Facts
*Currently have it set on auto with a min of 7.5 and a max of 16. I have zero idea if I need that much pressure
*Flex setting is on 2, it’s previously been on 1 for the past three years until last night. I changed it because I’ve been having this air in my mouth problem for about a week.

Added more graphs

RE: Haven't slept in a week - SarcasticDave94 - 04-14-2020

Welcome to Apnea Board.

A few things to get us all on the same page. Read the chart setup in my signature; it's linked directly to the AB wiki involving what OSCAR chart setup is preferred unless directed to otherwise show specific items. Make sure VS2 is off; the calendar and pie chart are also off.

Tell us which exact DreamStation you have and add that to your sidebar info for reference. On the bottom or back of your CPAP is an ID sticker with the DSX and some numbers. Remove the water tub before looking or you will encounter unexpected puddles and other nasty surprises. Post that DSX Number please.

I'm the greeter this fine Tuesday evening so Howdy. Others will be along that are far better than I at OSCAR. I'm pretty good at reading my own, but I'm still in chart 101 at times that I'm not in the coffee or radio shop.

RE: Haven't slept in a week - PoolQ - 04-14-2020

When I started I had the same issue, on and off, I found an exercise that helped. without your gear on, watching tv or computer or something, take a sip of water and don't swallow. Just relax and breath normally. This is what you need to do with your muscles in your mouth to stop the leaking of air back into your mouth. I got used to it pretty quickly and from then on could seal my throat without thinking about it.

It could be a setting, but for me this did the trick. Lets see what others have to say

RE: Haven't slept in a week - Justwannasleep1 - 04-14-2020

(04-14-2020, 07:38 PM)PoolQ Wrote: When I started I had the same issue, on and off, I found an exercise that helped. without your gear on, watching tv or computer or something, take a sip of water and don't swallow. Just relax and breath normally. This is what you need to do with your muscles in your mouth to stop the leaking of air back into your mouth. I got used to it pretty quickly and from then on could seal my throat without thinking about it.

It could be a setting, but for me this did the trick. Lets see what others have to say

My one concern is this hasn't been an issue for me in three years. That's what made me think it's some type of setting. Generally I have a sleep pretty decent on the CPAP. One obvious thing that appears to be showing its head is drinking. Drinking alcohol wreaks havoc on my sleep even with the CPAP. However, my consumption hasn't really changed over the years. A lot of day I have none, some days I have a lot.  Oh-jeez None of these seems to make sense as to why I'm filling up with air. 

Also, I noticed the my dream station USED to turn off if I removed the head gear and let it set. It would know that it wasn't being used and shut off within a minute or so. Now it will run all day if I let it. I think this may be why someone noticed that my pressure held at 16 and maybe needed more.

RE: Haven't slept in a week - SarcasticDave94 - 04-14-2020

There's some sort of Auto Start Stop feature, I forget exactly what Philips calls their flavor of this. Just check to see if it's still on. If the DME is accessing via remote without your permission, call them on it. They should not do so unless you gave permission.

RE: Haven't slept in a week - Sleeprider - 04-14-2020

I have no idea if it will help but I'm going to suggest lowering the maximum pressureto 14 to see what happens. Your pressure is pegged to maximum based on a response to snores, but your event rate is low. I'd love to put you on a Resmed that offers a real bilevel pressure, but with what we have, I'm just going for lower pressure to see if it reduces the sleep disruption. Consider adding a hose cover to prevent any noise from rubbing on your nightstand or bed that the machine might interpret as "snore". Nothing in your results suggests to me that you need a maximum pressure of 16, but I do think you would benefit from bilevel pressure. A few zoomed screenshots of the flowrate (2-minute segments), might help us to sort out what is really going on.

RE: Haven't slept in a week - Justwannasleep1 - 04-14-2020

I do sleep with one of those physical adjustment round sound machines. I wonder if it picks that up as vibration

RE: Haven't slept in a week - Sleeprider - 04-14-2020

Strong possibility.The Philips algorithm is highly sensitive to snores (however those are detected). The consistency of the snores and persistence of high pressure makes this very suspicious.