Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Struggling... Is my AirSense 10 machine broken? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Struggling... Is my AirSense 10 machine broken? (/Thread-Struggling-Is-my-AirSense-10-machine-broken)

Pages: 1 2

Struggling... Is my AirSense 10 machine broken? - JonnyCPAP - 05-01-2020

What are some signs that your machine is broken or not working properly?

For several months now and for most nights, I've been having what I call "violent apneas" that jolt me awake right as I'm about to fall asleep. This repeats for hours until I finally fall asleep somehow. This is much different than what used to happen when I first got my machine a few years ago. I used to just open my eyes quickly or gasp a bit when I was woken up. They were never so violent. 

Anyway, I noticed last night that my pressure didn't noticeably increase during these 4 hours or so while I was trying to fall asleep. In the past when I first got my machine, if it took me awhile to fall asleep, I could tell the pressure was increasing. I have never used ramp up. 

Could this be a sign my machine isn't working properly. I bought it out of pocket so wasn't through insurance. 

I have also gained about 50 lbs. in the last couple of years so maybe this is a result of that instead?

RE: Struggling... Is my AirSense 10 machine broken? - Melman - 05-01-2020

It's hard to tell without seeing data from the machine. Suggest you download OSCAR and post some data as shown in the links below.

RE: Struggling... Is my AirSense 10 machine broken? - Sleeprider - 05-01-2020

Here is a guess in the absence of data. You are experiencing positional apnea, and the solution will be pretty easy. As Melman suggested, it will be a lot easier to do something better than guessing if you post some data. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Optimizing_therapy#Positional_Apnea

RE: Struggling... Is my AirSense 10 machine broken? - StevesSp - 05-01-2020

Whether your machine has a fault or not, that 50lb weight gain will definitely have a detrimental effect on your apnea and your sleep quality. Has your collar size increased significantly?

RE: Struggling... Is my AirSense 10 machine broken? - JonnyCPAP - 05-01-2020

(05-01-2020, 07:35 PM)StevesSp Wrote: Whether your machine has a fault or not, that 50lb weight gain will definitely have a detrimental effect on your apnea and your sleep quality. Has your collar size increased significantly?

Yes, a good amount. My headgear is basically always too tight now for the most part. Especially on my side.

Here's part of last night. With my current work schedule, I sleep past noon everyday. Is there a way to adjust or blend the range in OSCAR?

RE: Struggling... Is my AirSense 10 machine broken? - StevesSp - 05-01-2020

(05-01-2020, 08:53 PM)JonnyCPAP Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 07:35 PM)StevesSp Wrote: Whether your machine has a fault or not, that 50lb weight gain will definitely have a detrimental effect on your apnea and your sleep quality. Has your collar size increased significantly?

Yes, a good amount. My headgear is basically always too tight now for the most part. Especially on my side.

The problem with weight gain - especially in the neck and face areas - is that the physical issues leading to OSA are made worse. The palate is more crowded and, usually, the airways generally get compromised. Add to that the fact that excess weight often goes along with poor diet and nutrition, high calorific intake, eating late in the evening, less exercise, etc and you see further impacts on your sleep quality, which itself can increase apneas.

A couple of years ago, I lost around 22lbs in weight and was able to decrease my pressure from 14.7cm to around 11.0cm or so, while maintaining good AHI. Since lockdown, I have put 8lbs back on and my pressure is back up to 13cms. Oh-jeez

RE: Struggling... Is my AirSense 10 machine broken? - MarkAB - 05-02-2020

Johnny,
I have the Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset also for six years.  I have always used a Mirage FX nasal mask, but lately I awake with a very dry, parched mouth no matter how tightly I cinch up my chinstrap.  I can't imagine how my mouth could get open enough to breathe through it so I have tried switching to a full face mask and adjusted the settings.  That has solved the mouth dryness problem, but i have been startled awake with shortness of breath many times during the night.  I have been using a Mirage Quattro and have tried increasing my pressure from 8 to 10.  It hasn't helped.  I'm wondering if my machine is wearing out too.  I haven't missed a night on the machine for 6 years, and I can't sleep without it.  At 74, I'm feeling good, but can't afford to take any chances with sleeplessness.  Goo luck to you.

RE: Struggling... Is my AirSense 10 machine broken? - Sleeprider - 05-02-2020

This chart shows a persistent high leak rate, lots of flow limitation and unusually low pressure in light of those other factors. With this level of flow limitation, I would expect the machine to increase pressure, and we are only seeing about 1-cm of pressure variation. With the leak rate this high, there may be a leak in the system or at the mask.  Your concerns about this machine working properly seem valid.  Try to resolve any leaks you find, checking humidifier connections and the mask vents.  Let's see what happens if you increase the pressure range from a minimum of 8.0 to a minimum of 10.0.  I'd like to see a close up of the respiratory flow rate. Please make the zoomed image about 2-minutes in duration where we can see the inspiration / expiration flow wave.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=22486]

RE: Struggling... Is my AirSense 10 machine broken? - JonnyCPAP - 05-18-2020

(05-02-2020, 08:18 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: This chart shows a persistent high leak rate, lots of flow limitation and unusually low pressure in light of those other factors. With this level of flow limitation, I would expect the machine to increase pressure, and we are only seeing about 1-cm of pressure variation. With the leak rate this high, there may be a leak in the system or at the mask.  Your concerns about this machine working properly seem valid.  Try to resolve any leaks you find, checking humidifier connections and the mask vents.  Let's see what happens if you increase the pressure range from a minimum of 8.0 to a minimum of 10.0.  I'd like to see a close up of the respiratory flow rate. Please make the zoomed image about 2-minutes in duration where we can see the inspiration / expiration flow wave.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=22486]

I didn't see your post until now, unfortunately. It seems to only email you of the first reply and then never again. 

Attached are what you asked for, I think. I think that's about 2 minutes of the sections you asked for, but I may have done it wrong.
I had crazy leaking last night, and the pressure didn't increase much. I remember when I first got my machine a few years ago and tried out Sleepyhead, my pressure max would always hit about 14-16cm of pressure, now it won't go past 10cm.

As far as the leaking goes, I've always had issues getting a good seal once I fall asleep, but it has definitely gotten worse it seems, since these other issues started happening. 

So not sure if these two things are related, but my biggest issue/concern is having so many strong apneas while trying to fall asleep, that jolt me awake, I can't fall asleep for hours.
Someone mentioned positional apneas, but this issue happens on my sides and back, so it's all the time. 
I would love any suggestion for that, I'm not sure what I can do about it now? Other than probably lose weight.

RE: Struggling... Is my AirSense 10 machine broken? - milboltnut - 05-18-2020

(05-01-2020, 07:10 PM)JonnyCPAP Wrote: What are some signs that your machine is broken or not working properly?

For several months now and for most nights, I've been having what I call "violent apneas" that jolt me awake right as I'm about to fall asleep. This repeats for hours until I finally fall asleep somehow. This is much different than what used to happen when I first got my machine a few years ago. I used to just open my eyes quickly or gasp a bit when I was woken up. They were never so violent. 

Anyway, I noticed last night that my pressure didn't noticeably increase during these 4 hours or so while I was trying to fall asleep. In the past when I first got my machine, if it took me awhile to fall asleep, I could tell the pressure was increasing. I have never used ramp up. 

Could this be a sign my machine isn't working properly. I bought it out of pocket so wasn't through insurance. 

I have also gained about 50 lbs. in the last couple of years so maybe this is a result of that instead?

I had that problem, waking up violently, not alot. Then it turned into I was paralyzed and had to "shake out of it" per say. But I did have those episodes of being awakened like you describe. Something I believe you need to address to your Dr. When you experience Central apneas you are awkened to breathe...... last night I had a bunch of centrals that lasted 25 seconds !