Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
There is at least one Truck Driver here - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: There is at least one Truck Driver here (/Thread-There-is-at-least-one-Truck-Driver-here)

There is at least one Truck Driver here - Tiny - 03-17-2013

Hello

I have been on the hunt for Cpap info since Oct. last year . That's when a Goat roping series of events lead me down an unknown path .

You we have to hunt up " Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here page 17 post 162 " It's a long story so grab a cup of coffee if you read it .

Now that the biggest part of the compliance issues are out of the way , I will have other questions for you .

RE: There is at least one Truck Driver here - jgjones1972 - 03-17-2013

Hi Tiny,

Welcome

I read about your ordeal.

Unfortunately; many of us have gotten a bad shake from the "system". Looks like the "system" gave you a little harder shake than most of us - but you made it through. You know what they say, "whatever doesn't kill you...can hurt you really bad for a very long time". (I think that's the way that goes)
Laugh-a-lot

Anyway; you came to the right place.

Sleep-well

RE: There is at least one Truck Driver here - SuperSleeper - 03-17-2013

(03-17-2013, 04:37 PM)Tiny Wrote: Now that the biggest part of the compliance issues are out of the way , I will have other questions for you .

Hi Tiny,

I worked for two trucking companies here in the greater Chicago area in my distant past. (first as a dispatcher, Confused then as a Fleet Manager Shock - promise not to to hit me?!!) BigwinkToo-funny

Sleep Apnea is a terrible thing for truck drivers to suffer through, and the problem is that many drivers have it, but are afraid of reporting it to their company for fear of being taken off the road for an unbearable amount of time until they have gone through a sleep study, been diagnosed, titrated in a lab, given a CPAP and then proven that they are compliant enough with it to drive safely. The problem is that the regs and some company rules are set up to discourage drivers from seeking out treatment (by taking them off the road when OSA is discovered), rather than encouraging them in a way that doesn't hit the drivers in the pocketbook. Wish I knew the answer to that problem.

If you read my story in that same thread you refer to, you'll see that I feel asleep at the wheel a couple of times, which opened my eyes to sleep apnea. Sure glad I wasn't driving an 80,000 pound semi at the time. Shock-2

Anyway, I'm glad you're getting treatment and if you have any questions regarding your treatment, feel free to post them on the Main Forum.

Sleep-well

RE: There is at least one Truck Driver here - PaulaO2 - 03-17-2013

Moving this thread to the main forum so others can participate.

LolaboveOkayEat-popcorn

RE: There is at least one Truck Driver here - Tiny - 03-17-2013

(03-17-2013, 05:15 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Hi Tiny,

I worked for two trucking companies here in the greater Chicago area in my distant past. (first as a dispatcher, Confused then as a Fleet Manager Shock - promise not to to hit me?!!) Bigwink:too-funny

LOL , I promise not to swat a former dispatcher . However my trucking isn't over the road . I work for a construction company moving heavy cranes and equipment so 80,000 lbs on my truck is a light load . My daily driver is a tractor mount boom truck . It's heavy enough that if there is a permit load I get it because I'm overloaded with anything considered normal .

(03-17-2013, 05:11 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: "whatever doesn't kill you...can hurt you really bad for a very long time". (I think that's the way that goes)

More truth in that statement than I'd like to see Smile