Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
What does machine class as apnoea event? [Ockrockets Thread] - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: What does machine class as apnoea event? [Ockrockets Thread] (/Thread-What-does-machine-class-as-apnoea-event-Ockrockets-Thread)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

What does machine class as apnoea event? [Ockrockets Thread] - Ockrocket - 05-09-2020

I have noticed recently that my Respironics Dream Station AHI number will go up for no apparent reason.. 

To clarify what happens - 
I sometimes wake up just before dawn to go to the bathroom, and out of curiosity I have been checking my session AHI at this time, and then afterwards I go back to bed for an extra couple of hours sleep.

However there are times when I can't go back to sleep, so I lay awake listening to neighbourhood "waking up to start the day", or reading posts on Facebook / checking emails and so forth without sleeping at any point before getting out of bed for the day.
This morning for instance, when I got up for my "wee walk" my AHI was reading 1.2 - but after not being able to go back to sleep and finally getting up about an hour and a half later it reads as 1.5 for the night's sleep session hours. 
My breathing has no significant pauses while I'm awake and on Facebook etc..

So my question is exactly what does an APAP/CPAP machine class as an apnoea event?
How long a pause in breathing is classed as apnoea?

RE: What does machine class as apnoea event? - jaswilliams - 05-10-2020

The pause needs to be for 10 seconds to be classed as an event. Note our awake breathing is much more irregular than our asleep breathing.

RE: What does machine class as apnoea event? - SarcasticDave94 - 05-10-2020

It sounds like SWJ so I'd disregard.

Second opinion? Take 2 of these and call me Coffee

RE: What does machine class as apnoea event? - Ockrocket - 05-10-2020

(05-10-2020, 02:11 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: It sounds like SWJ so I'd disregard.

Second opinion? Take 2 of these and call me  Coffee

SWJ? 
What is that? (not an abbreviation common in Australia.  Thinking-about )

I am also having issues with a widely varying AHI, my numbers range from 0.6 to 3.9 without anything that seems to be a common denominator for the variations. 
There is no consistency with alcohol consumption, sleep hours, food, or anything else I would expect to be a trigger for an anomaly.
One night I can have a good number under 2.0, the next night it can be a 3.8  Oh-jeez

SWJ or sleep wake junk is consistent with various apnea events that show up at the very beginning or end of a sleep session. It sounds like it's probably what increases your AHI according to your description.

(05-10-2020, 07:32 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: SWJ or sleep wake junk is consistent with various apnea events that show up at the very beginning or end of a sleep session. It sounds like it's probably what increases your AHI according to your description.

To me the mystery is why my AHI goes up between the time I checked it when first waking to get up and use the bathroom and the time I actually get out of bed.. it has gone up in the hour to our and a half that I was sitting awake in bed before finally getting up for the day, I had not gone back to sleep after the bathroom visit. Thinking-about

I am awake and breathing, definitely not stopping breathing for a 10 second period.. or even for 5 seconds.  Dont-know

Ideally I'd like to have my apnoea consistently below an AHI of 2.0 - even though I only need to be under 4.0 to comply for keeping my professional driving endorsements. 
And I would feel happier if it maintained a relatively even set of number with minimal variation from day to day, although the variation last night wasn't great I'm now curious as to possible causes.. 
I have a bit of a Sherlock Holmes trait in my genes I think. Rolleyes  Oh-jeez Laugh-a-lot

Thanks for the feedback.

(05-10-2020, 01:10 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: The pause needs to be for 10 seconds to be classed as an event. Note our awake breathing is much more irregular than our asleep breathing.

Interesting that it is more irregular, but I doubt I'm stopping breathing for even close to 10 seconds when I'm awake.  Dont-know

I will pay more attention..  Thanks

I believe the very reason this SWJ exists is that our sleeping and waking breathing control mechanisms handle breath rates and other respiratory aspects very differently. If we introduce waking breathing to the CPAP, it gets confused and flags things as apnea events even if they aren't actually so.

RE: What does machine class as apnoea event? - Ockrocket - 05-12-2020

Thanks Dave..
Next time I will just leave my mask off if I'm struggling to get back to sleep. (as long as I'm over my minimum 4 hours component of my compliance conditions)

RE: What does machine class as apnoea event? - SarcasticDave94 - 05-12-2020

You're welcome. I find that if sleep doesn't return in a few minutes, it's best for me to not fight it and get up and go to the living room and climb in the recliner for a bit. Then later try sleep again. Since I'm disabled/retired I don't need to consider work schedules and such and am permitted to sleep as needed.