Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Cpap & Tinnitus - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Cpap & Tinnitus (/Thread-Cpap-Tinnitus)

Pages: 1 2 3

Cpap & Tinnitus - David001 - 05-17-2020

Hiya
I'm new here and new to Cpap, would appreciate some advice from experienced members.

I have sleep apnea and need to use a CPAP machine, but the sound of the air, seems to elevate my tinnitus to much higher levels that I’ve ever had, so much that I cannot use the CPAP as the tinnitus is so bad. Once I stopped, the tinnitus calmed down, although not to the pre CPAP level.

Usually, I cope with my tinnitus, it does not disturb me to fall asleep, I don’t need any external help like masking with other sounds.

I was wondering, if anyone can advise.

Was thinking of two options, 1) get a good quality custom made ear plug, that might cut out the CPAP machine sound or 2) sound masking with other sounds, though with my hypercusis, that might make it worse.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Cpap & Tinnitus - SarcasticDave94 - 05-17-2020

The tinnitus I have did not seem to worsen with CPAP machine use. Regardless, I find that I have a need of some sound going on always. Call it sound masking I suppose. This sound could be a radio in the daytime. I almost always have a fan running in the bedroom as well, both for noise and air circulation. To me, I would think earplugs would make tinnitus seem worse by itself, but it would attenuate the machine noise if that bothers you.

Best wishes on your success however it comes about.

RE: Cpap & Tinnitus - Gideon - 05-17-2020

Mine, though severe, is not impacted by CPAP in any way. I've had it for a very, very long time. Doesn't everybody have it?

RE: Cpap & Tinnitus - SarcasticDave94 - 05-17-2020

FWIW I know my hearing test for tinnitus about 2 years ago pinpointed my ringing as about 65 dB and 2.1 kHz. It has increased in loudness since then. So disappointed, as this isn't a good musical sound, just a constant eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
However, I'm sure it does block good musical sounds.

Coffee

RE: Cpap & Tinnitus - Deborah K. - 05-17-2020

I run an old fashioned fan driven cool mist humidifier every night due to sinus issues.  When I began apap use, I just used the humidifier as always.  One night I laid in bed awake for a long time wondering why my mask seemed to be making so much noise.  I finally fell asleep, but it was hard.  I woke up for a bathroom break, and when I returned I noticed that my humidifier was not running, so I turned it on.  Hopped back in bed, got the apap running and immediately fell back to sleep.  In the morning when I was fully awake and alert I realized that the lack of white noise from the humidifier was my problem.  Boy, I have never again forgotten to turn it on!

Maybe a fan driven humidifier or possibly just a fairly small fan would help you too.

RE: Cpap & Tinnitus - StevesSp - 05-17-2020

Another tinnitus sufferer here. Mine isn't severe, generally speaking, but I have good and bad days.

I do find that CPAP makes it worse though, or rather, I think a night using CPAP is a little like spending eight hours in a room full of machinery noise - it leaves my head buzzing and ears ringing in the same way a noisy concert used to do when I was younger. Obviously, the noise from my CPAP machine isn't 'loud', but the low-level noise of air moving in and out for many hours, through my mouth, nose and sinuses, seems to leave a similar effect behind.

I find it diminishes an hour or so after waking though, which is why I think of it as 'additional tinnitus' rather than exacerbating the existing tinnitus.

RE: Cpap & Tinnitus - Big Guy - 05-17-2020

I've had tinnitus for decades. Can't really pin-point how long ago when I first became aware of it though. I have it in both ears, and they seem to be about equal. 

It's pretty bad. I was told years ago, there's no remedy for it, only treatment, which can be spotty at best. Even as bad as mine is, I've come to ignore it for the most part. It's 24/7/365, non-stop. 

Pitches and tones change regularly. Some actually stop, and then start back up. It's mostly consists of a hissing or rushing sound. 

It probably originated from years and years of riding m/c's w/o using ear protection. I did though, always wear a helmet. Having jumped out of airplanes and helicopters while in the military didn't help matters any either. The ear plugs the Army provided were pretty lame. Spent a lot of time around weapons that usually surpassed the noise rating our ear-plugs were rated for. No one ever used ear muffs. 

Anyways, it's with me til death do we part.  Oh-jeez

RE: Cpap & Tinnitus - KSMatthew - 05-18-2020

Tinnitus is a side effect of hearing loss. Different sound patterns can mask it. I haven’t done any experiments, but I suppose that if some sound frequencies can mask it then others can amplify it.

As others have suggested, a white noise generator may help.

RE: Cpap & Tinnitus - Gideon - 05-18-2020

Interestingly, I have passed every hearing test I have ever taken.

RE: Cpap & Tinnitus - KSMatthew - 05-18-2020

(05-18-2020, 02:54 PM)bonjour Wrote: Interestingly,  I have passed every hearing test I have ever taken.

It's possible to have hearing loss that isn't enough to fail a test.  I can pass, but I have significant loss in one ear at particular frequencies.  The only hearing tests I've had to do that were pass/fail required me to hear a normal conversation at 6ft.  This test was nothing more than the doc asking me some questions while standing behind me.  At an audiologist you can get tested and be given an audiogram that shows your hearing ability at a range of frequencies.  You'll probably see a loss in some of the high freq ranges (not unusual).

Tinnitus, as it's been explained to me, is the brain's way of compensating for missing frequencies.  It fills in sound where it thinks it should be.  The ringing, literally, is "in your head".  Hearing aids can help because they will amplify those frequencies and cause the ringing to move into the background.  However, at night, without my aid, my tinnitus is very noticeable...until I turn on the CPAP and the white noise drowns it out.