Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Heated tube: Any disadvantages? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Heated tube: Any disadvantages? (/Thread-Heated-tube-Any-disadvantages)

Pages: 1 2

Heated tube: Any disadvantages? - drmaestro - 05-18-2020

Hi,

I have bought a CPAP unit and it comes with a slimline tube. I saw that there are heated versions available (climate control). It is mentioned that it provides a better comfort. But isn't the heated humidifier enough for this purpose? Does the air circulating in the standart tube get significantly colder until it reaches you? Can you get higher temperatures compared to the heated humidifier if you use the heated tube or does it only preserve the temperature provided by the humidifier? As a more broad question, is there a definition about the ideal temperature provided by a CPAP unit? ( I also read that it prevents water droplet formation on the tube, which would be useful for cleaning purposes, but that's not comfort related).

Thanks....

RE: Heated tube: Any disadvantages? - SarcasticDave94 - 05-18-2020

Given the correct combination of humidity and temperature, a standard tube has little defense to combat rainout. Rainout is water condensation like a glass of ice water gives on a hot summer day. A heated hose can reduce rainout by adding a bit of warmth to the hose. You can also buy a hose cover.

RE: Heated tube: Any disadvantages? - Sleeprider - 05-18-2020

A heated ClimateLine tube is a little more expensive so a DME is unlikely to issue one unless it is prescribed. If you ever experience condensation you can just ask your doctor to prescribe the ClimateLine, or do it proactively. The heated tube is not expensive online, so if you have high deductible or copay, it might be cheaper to buy rather than pay DME markups.

RE: Heated tube: Any disadvantages? - Big Guy - 05-18-2020

I have a heated tube, but never turn it on. I've never experienced rain-out as far as I know. I do use a hose cover and I do recommend that.

RE: Heated tube: Any disadvantages? - Shulamet - 06-12-2020

good answer about DME .... It supply time. I  was looking at getting a heated tube and the new Dreamwear head gear with arms.  I use distilled water so I don't change the water tank yet. But filters I change.
 I have a 20% copay, should I try to  shop around and find a DME  aligned with Aetna that's less expensive? is it worth it? do any have decent customer service? How can I get the original DME Respitech changed or do I not need to?
Should I assume none provide good info? on 4th DME in two years ( insurance changes and dissatisfaction with service), maybe give up talking to Respiratory Therapists who don't  know or share anything.

RE: Heated tube: Any disadvantages? - Deborah K. - 06-12-2020

I like to use a heated hose because otherwise the air blowing into my nose feels too cold and makes me uncomfortable. Once I switched to a heated hose that problem was completely solved.

RE: Heated tube: Any disadvantages? - Hydrangea - 06-13-2020

For me, an advantage of a heated hose is reducing rainout.

RE: Heated tube: Any disadvantages? - Homerec130 - 06-14-2020

One disadvantage for me is they are not long enough. I run a 10 ft hose as it is easier to bring it up and over which makes it easier to sleep at night. The longest heated hose I could find is 6 feet. On the other hand, don't really need a heated hose here in southern AZ with the heat and low humidty.

RE: Heated tube: Any disadvantages? - Snowman511 - 06-14-2020

The purpose of a heated tube is to prevent rainout.  Rainout is when there is a lot of condensatiin in the tube, so much as to force one to disconnect the mask and tube.

In the pre heated tube erra insulation was used to reduce rainout.  Not completely effective.

The heated tube is very effective at reducing rainout.  There are two small problems that remain:  First is the Auto mode may not be comfortable for some users.  Second, the manuel mode requires constant attention. Set to warm the tube will add to dryness, to low, rainout.

Personally i use maximum humidity and set the tube to just prevent rainout, i like some moisture in my mask.

RE: Heated tube: Any disadvantages? - Sleeprider - 06-14-2020

A little history might be useful. When started CPAP, there was not manufacturer heated tube option. We used to use fleece hose covers, and later, a heated hose from Australia that cost over $100 each and was powered by a separate AC adapter (Aussie Heated Hose). It was much warmer than current CPAP tubing. I think the first heated tubes were available on the Philips System One 60 Series and Resmed S9 units as an option, and today they are common. I think they make a big difference in comfort and are worthwhile, but you can certainly get along without it. My approach to PAP therapy is to make is as comfortable as possible. So do what you need. Heated tubes support higher humidity levels, but if you don't like the warmer humid air in therapy, it won't be for you.