Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New Cpap after 5 years? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New Cpap after 5 years? (/Thread-New-Cpap-after-5-years)

New Cpap after 5 years? - signal13 - 05-22-2020

What experiences have people had obtaining a new Cpap machine from their insurance companies after their machine reaches a certain age?   It seems that my insurance company "may" replace units that are at least 5 years old.  More importantly, has anyone had to return their old machine after they are given a new one?

Thanks

RE: New Cpap after 5 years? - Gideon - 05-22-2020

You shouldn't have to return the old machine as you likely purchased it at a premium price.

RE: New Cpap after 5 years? - OpalRose - 05-22-2020

Most insurance or medicare will replace a machine after five years, but you may need that request submitted by a doctor and DME for approval.

Never give the old machine back. Use it as a backup.

RE: New Cpap after 5 years? - Homerec130 - 05-22-2020

Depending on the insurance company, you may have to get a new sleep study. If you do, and you are not happy happy with your current DME, this would also be a good chance to find a new DME.

RE: New Cpap after 5 years? - Hydrangea - 05-22-2020

Definitely don't give your old machine back. You paid for it through CO pays and insurance. It's yours.

RE: New Cpap after 5 years? - signal13 - 05-23-2020

Thanks for all of your replies. I definitely plan to keep my old one as a spare/travel cpap. My sleep doctors office, who never cared for one second after I got my sleep study 5 years ago, now wants me to come in for a visit if I want a prescription.. I said no thanks, I'll have my family doctor prescribe it.

RE: New Cpap after 5 years? - Aludj - 05-23-2020

My ResMed S9 was a dozen or so years old, when replaced by the A10 without having a sleep study.

Neither the insurance company, nor the DME supplier wanted the S9 back. Since I did not want to keep it as spare, it was donated to the sleep center treating me for sleep apnea.

RE: New Cpap after 5 years? - becker44a - 05-23-2020

I just started using a new Airsense 10 Autoset for Her, obtained as replacement for my S9 Autoset, which is about 6 years old.  No one asked for the S9, so it is now my spare machine.  I requested my PCP to provide the order for a new machine to the DME.  He obliged, and the new machine was acquired via Medicare and supplemental insurance.  No sleep study was requested or required.  The whole process was relatively straightforward.  I did have to be firm with the DME about what machine I wanted - originally they said that the only difference between the Autoset and Autoset for Her was the outer decorations.  A little education got me the for Her as requested.