Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
ASV Settings Help - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: ASV Settings Help (/Thread-ASV-Settings-Help)

Pages: 1 2

ASV Settings Help - Universeonwheels - 05-24-2020

Hello,

I have some data from using my ASV. I've just started using it. I have complex apnea and most likely UARS as well given 20 RERA-index. Here is my data. I woke up during the night and couldn't fall back to sleep with my mask on. I was quite congested during the night. For some reason I felt more relaxed when the pressure was about 2x the minimum it went. I spent a good portion of the time with my mask on awake. I slept about 11 hours total as I was and am still exhausted. Thank you very much!
[attachment=23230][attachment=23231][attachment=23232]

RE: ASV Settings Help - Universeonwheels - 05-24-2020

[attachment=23233][attachment=23234]

RE: ASV Settings Help - SarcasticDave94 - 05-24-2020

With almost no events, we need to address how you feel. The goal is not to have zero events, but less than a 5 AHI while at the same time feeling some benefit for using the ASV.

(05-24-2020, 05:06 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: With almost no events, we need to address how you feel. The goal is not to have zero events, but less than a 5 AHI while at the same time feeling some benefit for using the ASV.

Yes I agree. Isn't something off about my flow rate and flow limit?

Let's see what the chart experts have to say. I myself don't see any questionable areas to address. I'd have to go back to how the therapy session feels. Any area where there's less comfort that you'd like addressed? Other aspects that you felt were off in some way can indicate some action.

(05-24-2020, 06:09 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Let's see what the chart experts have to say. I myself don't see any questionable areas to address. I'd have to go back to how the therapy session feels. Any area where there's less comfort that you'd like addressed? Other aspects that you felt were off in some way can indicate some action.

Ahh okay sure. I didn't feel like I was breathing "well" most of the time. I felt more comfortable at higher pressures. That's about it I think, but it was pretty significant. I don't feel I breathe "well" during the day either, as if it's too shallow. Maybe that means something?

Any idea if that's possibly allergy based or another medical issue like COPD or similar? Not saying it is any issue, but does it seem to be seasonal?

As is, if you want more incoming air, you can try a small bump in EPAP Min if you want. I think it's at 6 now. You could try 7 EPAP Min or somewhere between 6 - 7. If you so choose, go this method: edit, use the ASV (it need not be overnight), consider how the feel and data may have changed, if changes exist, grade it on is it better/worse in any way, then act accordingly. If it was worse, return the setting you edited. If you like the effect of the change, keep it and try a day or two.

FWIW my focus is to help the feel aspect not to correct any numbers or data.

(05-24-2020, 06:32 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Any idea if that's possibly allergy based or another medical issue like COPD or similar? Not saying it is any issue, but does it seem to be seasonal?

As is, if you want more incoming air, you can try a small bump in EPAP Min if you want. I think it's at 6 now. You could try 7 EPAP Min or somewhere between 6 - 7. If you so choose, go this method: edit, use the ASV (it need not be overnight), consider how the feel and data may have changed, if changes exist, grade it on is it better/worse in any way, then act accordingly. If it was worse, return the setting you edited. If you like the effect of the change, keep it and try a day or two.

FWIW my focus is to help the feel aspect not to correct any numbers or data.
Sure I'll give bumping the EPAP-min a try. I dont think I have COPD or any other pulmonary issue but it's possible and I haven't been assessed. I'm only 19 as well although that doesn't necessarily mean much as my RDI is quite severe. I have Tourette syndrome and it's possible I develop breathing tics when I feel "icky" from lack of sleep. The congestion is not a seasonal issue but I have 18 mild allergies which aren't "helped" by anything I've tried.

OK gotcha. I would think that without playing doctor, it may possibly be some allergy related breathing restriction. But it is a guess. I get allergies myself around this time of year, and do have COPD. Again not stating you do. I'd just see about a bump of 1 at a maximum on the EPAP Min to read a 7. See how it plays overnight and post an OSCAR data chart. Tell us if it was good or helpful. Obviously, if it's not good in any way, switch it back to 6 and update here the details.

RE: ASV Settings Help - jaswilliams - 05-25-2020

An ASV can feel very strange at the start if you are used to much higher base pressures. I would not Raise the EPAP more at this time you are removing the benefits of the ASV.

Leave it a week to get used to it and then review. Looking at your earlier graphs, you do not have Central Apnoea but more likely sleep transition CA’s did you buy this ASV out of your own pocket ? It would be good to keep all of your treatment questions in one place so we don’t need to go hunting.

An ASV works very well on its default settings and we don’t normally recommend anything much different than the defaults unless your trying to treat UARS and other sleep conditions with an ASV which may not be optimum.