Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Product Review] Wellue SleepU Wrist Pulse Oximeter - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Product Review Forums (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Product-Review-Forums)
+---- Forum: Other Product Reviews (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Other-Product-Reviews)
+---- Thread: [Product Review] Wellue SleepU Wrist Pulse Oximeter (/Thread-Product-Review-Wellue-SleepU-Wrist-Pulse-Oximeter)

Pages: 1 2 3

Wellue SleepU Wrist Pulse Oximeter - Crimson Nape - 05-31-2020

Rating: 4
As of this review, I've been using this oximeter for a little over a week.  

First its description; It is light and unobtrusive with only an LED display and a micro USB port.  The USB connection serves for all data, recharge, and on/off operations.  A separate finger sensor is employed for this model and attaches solidly to the base of one of your digits and connects through this USB port.   Attaching to the base of a digit aids in preventing artifacts while in use and offer very good stability.   There are no other external buttons or connections.  The SleepU can store up to 3 separate sleep sessions before overwriting the oldest.

Communicating and configuring the SleepU is through the USB, along with free software, named O2 Insight Pro, and is available for both PC and Mac. These packages are easily obtained from their website.  The downside is there isn't an app for Linux. (Bummer!)  In addition to these pieces of software, an Android and iPhone app for monitoring is available from their respective sites.  

The SleepU's operation is very straight forward.  All operations are initiated by plugging in the proper cord for the planned operation to its USB connector.  

For charging, plug in the provided USB cable that came with the SleepU to any USB port.  A battery symbol will be displayed on the LED until it is fully charged.  When fully charged, the display will turn off.  

To record a session, simply connect the finger probe's micro USB connector to the SleepU.  The wrist unit's LED display will  initially display its time and date, then after a few seconds, display your SpO2 level and pulse for a few seconds, then will go dark.  The display becomes active for a few seconds any time that you rotate your wrist.    

Communicating with the SleepU for configuration and data download, again involves plugging the same USB cable used to charge the unit and then start the O2 Insight Pro software.  

The O2 Insight Pro software allows for setting the time and date, based on your PC's time/date, download its data, and erase all sessions if desired.  This software provides very nice graphs of both the SpO2 levels, pulse, and movement.  The software also allows the data to be exported as a PDF or a CSV file.  The movement graph doesn't do much in my opinion.  I guess it is basically displaying how much you moved the arm that the SleepU was attached to.

Now, what I consider the downsides. There isn't any provision to use this device with Linux (that I'm aware of).  The locking clasp on the wristband appears a little weak.  The USB micro plug on the probe is difficult to properly orientate for connecting in the dark.  (Having said that, there is a very slight indention on the top side but it is so small you have to drag your fingernail across it several times to feel it.   I'm thinking of putting a small dot of hot glue on this side for better recognition.)

Bottom Line: Accurate, easy to use, and thanks to the OSCAR team, its data is easily merged into OSCAR.  Because their prices have significantly dropped, I see this as the replacement to the CMS-50 series.

- Red

RE: Wellue SleepU Wrist Pulse Oximeter - slowriter - 06-01-2020

(05-31-2020, 01:40 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: There isn't any provision to use this device with Linux (that I'm aware of).

Bottom Line: Accurate, easy to use, and thanks to the OSCAR team, its data is easily merged into OSCAR. 

Do you need their software just to import to OSCAR, or can you bypass it?

I use Linux almost exclusively, hence the question.

RE: Wellue SleepU Wrist Pulse Oximeter - Crimson Nape - 06-01-2020

You need the software to download the data. OSCAR does not have a direct import feature for this device.

RE: Wellue SleepU Wrist Pulse Oximeter - Crimson Nape - 07-14-2020

This is an addendum to my review of the SleepU.  
  1. While the SleepU will store a maximum of 3 sessions, it limits each session to a 10-hour segment.  If you go over the 10-hour segment it will start a new one automatically.   This could cause a problem if you haven't downloaded the oldest data and the SleepU cycles back to overwrite the oldest one.

2. To import into a Linux box you will need either a mobile device or try using Anbox on the Linux device.  Anbox allows Android apps to run on a Linux device.  Using the Wellue app in Anbox has not been tested by me, so this is just speculation as of this post. Also, Anbox if very "iffy" to set up.   Direct connection to a Linux device would require writing a HID to USB driver.  I tried to contact Wellue/Viatom to see if they would offer any documentation.  Let's say I've had better luck at splitting the Beer atom. Big Grin

The download steps require downloading the data via Bluetooth to the device using the app, ViHealth.  If using a mobile device, you would need to transfer the data to a location where you can import it to the Linux device.  That is the best I have come up with for now.  I am open to suggestions.

Note: There is an app that supposedly allows Mac apps to run on a Linux platform but seems to be rather large piece of code. I am currently exploring this avenue. If successful, I report on it.

- Red

RE: Wellue SleepU Wrist Pulse Oximeter - SleeperAwake21 - 12-16-2021

Thanks for a thorough and thoughtful review - based on this, I'll give it a try.

RE: Wellue SleepU Wrist Pulse Oximeter - moarZs - 02-22-2022

Hiya, thanks for the review.

Your idea about anbox or another android emulation layer might not work because you would have to pair ViHealth via bluetooth..?
Is there no way to just download the files directly from the oximeter?
Is there an open source alternative to ViHealth?
Can ViHealth be used without an internet connection? Does anybody know if your data is uploaded to a Chinese server for "processing" to then display in ViHealth?
A quick check reveals 4+ trackers (one Chinese, 3 Google) and a facility to register and login which I don't know if that is required or not to use anything other than backup functionality.

Cheers

RE: Wellue SleepU Wrist Pulse Oximeter - Crimson Nape - 02-22-2022

moarZs - This is a product review forum. You have asked the same question in the main forum. Please wait for a response there.

RE: Wellue SleepU Wrist Pulse Oximeter - SKPC - 08-01-2022

This may not be the right place to REPLY as the subject is different but I am not sure where is the right place - sorry! maybe this can be forwarded to the right page.

I have been using the Wellue O2 Ring for 5 months now and I like it and the ease of importing the data into OSCAR - however it has some issues and needs repair / replaced but there has been NO WAY that i can get in touch with Wellue / Viatom I have tried three times on 2 websites using the on-line contact forms with no reply - then I found a customer service phone number (supposedly) but that just went immediately to voice mail with no reply.

For that reason, I really don't want to use another Wellue / Viatom product but the other products that are acceptable for OSCAR importing all appear to be finger-fit only and not ring or wrist. Does anyone have any contact for Wellue that actually works - OR - another product they use for continuous monitoring that doesn't fall off and works with OSCAR?

Thanks

RE: Wellue SleepU Wrist Pulse Oximeter - SleeperAwake21 - 08-01-2022

Perhaps you can raise a complaint with Amazon if Wellue doesn't respond? (assuming that's where you got it). That may engender some attention.

RE: Wellue SleepU Wrist Pulse Oximeter - SKPC - 08-01-2022

GREAT IDEA! I will try that - Thanks!