Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Hi! - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Hi! (/Thread-Hi--29353)

Hi! - dreamers - 06-01-2020

Hi everybody- New board member here (Steve) and newly diagnosed sleep apnea patient. Just wanted to introduce myself and to say a BIG thank you to the board for the unbelievable caring response to new patients with sleep apnea.  It's really touching the amount of time and effort expended by the board moderators and experienced folks in answering questions, with amazing detail as the newbies try to gain more knowledge. 

Last Monday I found out that I have sleep apnea (AHI 14.3 and RDI 14.3) and the few days before my telemedicine appointment I wanted to educate myself as much as possible. In my travels I came across this amazing board. It was an eye opening experience.

Anyhow- 
Based on what I learned-

Machine ordered-  Brand New Airsense 10 AutoSet for Her with heated hose- even though I'm a guy Smile 
Face mask ordered- Airfit N30 
I will use Oscar on my laptop to view my data from the Airsense 10.

I learned so much from reading the "PAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine"Thank you so much Supersleeper
I highly recommend every newbie read this thread! It really prepared me when I spoke to the DME about my order!

Anyhow- My machine comes in a few days and I have a online appointment with the DME to go over the machine before I dive in. I look forward to becoming a more involved member of the board as I gain experience.

Sleep-well  Everybody

RE: Hi! - Big Guy - 06-01-2020

Hello & welcome! Lots & lots of members with an incredible amount of SA knowledge and experience here and willing to share with others. 

You're in very good hands here.  Big Grin

RE: Hi! - OpalRose - 06-01-2020

Hi dreamers,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Looks like you've done your homework.  Don't forget to order the Clinicians Manual for your machine.
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pressure/change-cpap-pressure-settings-adjusting-your-machine-with-a-clinician-setup-manual

Check back once you get your A10.

RE: Hi! - SarcasticDave94 - 06-01-2020

Welcome to Apnea Board, where we discuss things to help your apnea therapy work better than Doc Dolittle could ever hope to provide. We also discuss coffee, because it goes with waking up after sleeping great.

RE: Hi! - Sleeprider - 06-01-2020

It's a breath of fresh air to have a member show up and learn what to do before they are "stuck" with a machine. You really did your homework and should have a very successful experience with the best possible CPAP for your diagnosis. Thank you. What a great start!

RE: Hi! - mesenteria - 06-01-2020

Agree, it's a great leap forward to see someone tackling their new situation with such verve and interest...and no professed fear.  Too-funny

Just in case it might be news to you, and to help you to be calm that first night 'alone' with your new friend, people who use nasal masks often find themselves with mouth open and air blasting out of it, and it won't be long after falling asleep either.  It's surprisingly common.  Don't be dismayed because, next day, that'll be your new pet peeve and you'll have something to strive over.  Smile

You'll be suggested remedies like a soft cervical collar tall enough that it might help to keep your jaw closer to your cranium, or maybe a chin strap.  The other two choices are a new mask type or taping your mouth closed.  If that seems draconian and awful, you'd be surprised how many of us, me included, sleep rather blissfully just that way.

RE: Hi! - dreamers - 06-02-2020

(06-01-2020, 05:49 PM)mesenteria Wrote: Agree, it's a great leap forward to see someone tackling their new situation with such verve and interest...and no professed fear.  Too-funny

Just in case it might be news to you, and to help you to be calm that first night 'alone' with your new friend, people who use nasal masks often find themselves with mouth open and air blasting out of it, and it won't be long after falling asleep either.  It's surprisingly common.  Don't be dismayed because, next day, that'll be your new pet peeve and you'll have something to strive over.  Smile

You'll be suggested remedies like a soft cervical collar tall enough that it might help to keep your jaw closer to your cranium, or maybe a chin strap.  The other two choices are a new mask type or taping your mouth closed.  If that seems draconian and awful, you'd be surprised how many of us, me included, sleep rather blissfully just that way.

Thanks, mesenteria. What kind of tape do you use to tape your mouth closed? I'll pick some up before my machine comes in. Thanks.

RE: Hi! - thed00d - 06-02-2020

Hi, dreamers. New member here as well. Welcome.

RE: Hi! - mesenteria - 06-03-2020

I use the white tape, 2.5 cm wide, that comes in a large plastic white spool made by the 3M Corp.  They call it NexCare Water Resistant. The plastic spool nests in a white plastic cylinder, and the flanges of the spool and the side of the cylinder have the logo, description, etc, in turquoise and blue and green...something like that.  You'll know it immediately when you spot it.

Easily torn, easily applied, easily removed...IF you create that small folded-over tab at one end.  I'd give it an A- for the use to which I put it.  Not an A or and A+ because I think 3M could improve the adhesive to be more spittle resistant than it is.  If you drool a bit at the corner, and if you've not applied sufficient tape to extend at least 5 full mm beyond the corner of the mouth, you'll get tiny seeps of air out, often just enough that when you turn over, and are mostly awake, you'll notice this effect and have to try to rub over the tape to re-seal it.  Again, that's if you were stingy, or if your aim was wrong.  An hour later, same thing, same place, perhaps worse now.