Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Airsense 10 sudden high pitch noise - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Airsense 10 sudden high pitch noise (/Thread-Airsense-10-sudden-high-pitch-noise)

Pages: 1 2

Airsense 10 sudden high pitch noise - tedgreen - 06-09-2020

Hi,

I bought a "Resmed Airsense 10 for her" CPAP/APAP machine directly from Resmed online about 2.5 years ago.

Machine has been doing great until last night, when there was a high pitch noise during inhaling.

I changed the filter, removed the water tank (put cover back), changed the hose and tried a different mask, but noise is still there. Really annoying.

Is it likely to be something else?

Is Resmed likely to repair/change a 2.5 year old machine under warranty? I am in the UK so consumer laws extend beyond the manufacturer warranty.

Machine has "only" been used 2,000 hours (I have several machines) so it should last much longer.

Thanks,
T.

RE: Airsense 10 sudden high pitch noise - jaswilliams - 06-09-2020

Ted they are likely to do a repair at cost but the repair will probably need to be handled through your supplier, contact them in the first instance

RE: Airsense 10 sudden high pitch noise - Gideon - 06-09-2020

Remove the humidifier and remove the hose, start the machine, is the noise still there?
If so it is likely a bad bearing, a repair issue. If not then make sure your humidifier is well seated which is a common cause.

RE: Airsense 10 sudden high pitch noise - tedgreen - 06-09-2020

(06-09-2020, 08:14 AM)bonjour Wrote: Remove the humidifier and remove the hose, start the machine, is the noise still there?
If so it is likely a bad bearing, a repair issue. If not then make sure your humidifier is well seated which is a common cause.

thanks, but high pitch noise is when inhaling so can't test without the humidifier or hose present.

Noise is coming from inside of the machine, beyond the air intake hole (where filter is).

RE: Airsense 10 sudden high pitch noise - SarcasticDave94 - 06-09-2020

I'd think without the hose and mask attached, it could not switch down to exhale pressures, so if the noise is present during inhale that is what would be present when switched on. Doesn't hurt to try it and see what happens.

RE: Airsense 10 sudden high pitch noise - Sleeprider - 06-09-2020

Without the mask and hose, there is no pressure, just an open circuit with maximum flow. I would try the test using the mask pressure fit test mode. If a repair is needed to the blower (pneumatic block), I'm pretty sure you will be covered.

RE: Airsense 10 sudden high pitch noise - sonicboom - 06-11-2020

If you still hear the noise with the test, remove the humidifier and check that the seals on the machine where the humidifier locks in to are properly seated and are not ripped or broken. There are 2 of them - one larger and one smaller. Failing that it is likely a motor issue. Unfortunately, as a moving part, some last shorter than others. You will need to get it repaired or if its not too bothersome you might choose to live with it until it gets substantially worse.

RE: Airsense 10 sudden high pitch noise - tedgreen - 06-18-2020

Despite the machine being 2.5 years old, Resmed repaired it under warranty, free of charge.

Repair note states that "Pneumatic block" was replaced due to confirmed excessive noise, and rest of the machine was full tested/checked.

Pneumatic block seems to be the core of the machine (motor, blower etc.). Machine usage is now reporting 0 hours in the menu, so I guess as good as new for the mechanical parts.

All back to normal noise now, happy with outcome!

RE: Airsense 10 sudden high pitch noise - SarcasticDave94 - 06-18-2020

Congrats on the win.

RE: Airsense 10 sudden high pitch noise - Sleeprider - 06-18-2020

Really good to hear this was accepted as a warranty repair after 2-1/2 years. Resmed stands behind the machine, and you got a new blower unit. Great outcome! Thanks for the follow-up.