Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
O2 drops to 92%, is that bad? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: O2 drops to 92%, is that bad? (/Thread-O2-drops-to-92-is-that-bad)

O2 drops to 92%, is that bad? - fejsbukpejdz - 06-09-2020

Sometimes during sleep O2 levels drop from 96% to 92% briefly.

Is that bad ?

Before CPAP it used to fall to 85% and evne less

RE: O2 drops to 92%, is that bad? - mesenteria - 06-09-2020

It's a huge improvement, and frankly nothing to worry about, not in comparison.  You're sssssoooooooooooooooooo much further ahead.  

I believe most all of us, no matter if being treated with PAP therapy of a kind or description or not, have some small deficit of O2 as we sleep.  While waking sats might typically be near 97/98%, sleep sats are lower often.  Less than 92% is going to give us pause because it bespeaks a slight problem in oxygen availability and exchange with CO2.  Maybe it is constriction of passages, maybe a bit of central apnea, congestion....but something is pinching the normal rate.

RE: O2 drops to 92%, is that bad? - Crimson Nape - 06-09-2020

If the shape of your SpO2 graph looks like the bottom of a "V" on the 92%, I wouldn't worry. This could very easily be an artifact from bumping the O2 sensor.

RE: O2 drops to 92%, is that bad? - fejsbukpejdz - 06-09-2020

my brother observed me make noises and move when the o2 drops to 92%

it sometimes drops to 91% but rarely since I started APAP.

Maybe like once every two hours or so or so it drops to 91%

It usually  happens in the first half of the night, in the first 2 to 3 hours.

RE: O2 drops to 92%, is that bad? - mesenteria - 06-09-2020

Really, it's not so low that it is a problem IF it is short-lived, say 30 seconds or less.  If it persists, gets lower, or happens many times in succession within an hour, it should be investigated and corrected.

RE: O2 drops to 92%, is that bad? - Crimson Nape - 06-09-2020

I am just guessing without seeing any data. Are you sleeping on your back when this occurs?

RE: O2 drops to 92%, is that bad? - fejsbukpejdz - 06-09-2020

I slept on my side... I will post data later during the day as soon as I get my laptop.

Thank you so much for helping me out

I have one question since I'm very young and I just got apap like a few days ago.

when I have those "arousals" that make my heart rate spike and my oxygen gets resotred back to normal...

Does it completely destroy my deep sleep stage and I jump right back into stage 1 or rem... OR

I just get back to my deep stage sleep?

Like what does an "arousal" usually do to the sleep stage in which it happens?

RE: O2 drops to 92%, is that bad? - SarcasticDave94 - 06-09-2020

I don't have hard evidence to point you to, but I'd be inclined to think an arousal that takes you out of deep sleep means returning to sleep requires a return to the beginning stages of sleep and not back to deep sleep. It has so to speak reset the sleep stage clock as I think sleep stages require a certain amount of time before the next progressive stage.

On the oxygen numbers, I can have 92% while awake for minutes at time. However, I'd need to have a recorded less than 89% for 5 minutes to be placed on oxygen. 92% while asleep and for brief periods though is considered normal as I understand it.