Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Treatment] CPAP Optimization Suggestions - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Treatment] CPAP Optimization Suggestions (/Thread-Treatment-CPAP-Optimization-Suggestions)

Pages: 1 2

CPAP Optimization Suggestions - Cruxis - 06-11-2020

Hello, I was recently diagnosed with mild sleep apnea of 5.8 two weeks ago and given a cpap. It's been an ok experience so far but I still have the daily headaches and brain fog so I was wondering if my settings are off or could be optimized for better performance. I'll attach a screenshot of last night's Oscar data, I've only been using it for about 3 nights so far but I figured the earlier someone takes a look the better. Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.

Edit: Also here are my current settings in case it helps:

Mode
AutoCPAP
Pressure Min
5.00 cmH2O
Pressure Max
20.00 cmH2O
Auto Off
Off
Auto On
Off
Flex Level
Flex Lock
Off
Flex Mode
A-Flex
Hose Diam.
15mm
Humid. Lvl
Humid. Mode
Adaptive (System One)
Humidifier
Connected
Mask Res. Lock
Off
Mask Resist.
Off
Ramp Pressure
4.00 cmH2O
Ramp Time
30.00 Minutes
Ramp Type
Linear
Show AHI
Off
Tube Lock
Off

RE: CPAP Optimization Suggestions - Gideon - 06-11-2020

Welcome to the forum.

On this machine I would increase your min pressure to 8 and see if you knock down the hypopnea, RERAs, and Flow Limits.

Best would be to trade this machine in for the ResMed version, the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet

Quote:ResMed AutoSet hands down.
Why ResMed?

1. Faster algorithmic response to events than PR.
2. Lower average pressure
3. Better to avoid Aerophagia.
4. EPR provides for better treatment of hypopneas, RERAs, Flow Limits, UARS, and snores
5. EPR acts like a BiLevel up to a limit of 3cmw (1,2,or 3cmw) and a max pressure of 20 cmw
6. EPR follows your breathing where as Flex predicts it with a feeling of fighting to get a breath when it predicts incorrectly
7. More flexibility in treating a greater variety of Apneas and respiratory events.
8. In general provides better therapy.

I have frequently told many DreamStation users that they need to get either the ReaMed AutoSet or BiLevel to get better therapy. 

Respironics costs less

For what I see in your charts it is a far more capable machine for treating what your chart presents.

RE: CPAP Optimization Suggestions - Cruxis - 06-11-2020

Ok, how would I get my Provider to agree to that, I just started this last week so I assume they'll be less than inclined to switch it out that quick. Not trying to be difficult, just wondering if I'll have to buy it on my own.

RE: CPAP Optimization Suggestions - Gideon - 06-11-2020

1. Change your AHI in preferences to RDI. That will add the RERAs to your AHI.
2. What don't you like about your therapy, be critical, but be honest.
3. Look at number 6 above. Does your breathing feel natural, or at times are you fighting it. I'll bet it's the latter.

It is the subjective reasons for not being effective that you are looking for. The numbers say that you are treated just fine, take an apple a day and see me (your Dr.) in a year.

RE: CPAP Optimization Suggestions - SarcasticDave94 - 06-11-2020

Looks like it's time to wake up Dr. DoLittle and get him to do something after you decide what subjective aspects you don't like on the treatment.

How would I change it to report RDI on the dreamstation?

Isn't that an OSCAR report change?

Ok, now I see. Change it to RDI and bring a printed report to my doctors office to show him.

Yes, and include written or mental notes of all things not tolerated with the current machine. All complaints are in play if they affect therapy.

Sounds good, I’ll try setting the min to 8 for now and bring the sheet to my doctors on Monday. Anything else I can do to tide me over till then?