Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Nostril Pinching - Full Face Mask - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Nostril Pinching - Full Face Mask (/Thread-Nostril-Pinching-Full-Face-Mask)

Pages: 1 2

Nostril Pinching - Full Face Mask - chicanogeek - 06-19-2020

hi folks - i have a auto bipap machine that auto titrates. I also have a Resmed F30I Full Face Mask. Last night I woke up at around 320 or so because I could not breathe through my nose. My nostrils were clamped shut and I couldnt open them. This happened twice that I can recall, and scared the heck out of me. I realize i could have breathed through my mouth, but in my sleep I couldnt control that function. I woke up, used Saline nasal spray thinking my nose was dry.
I talked to my DME and they think the pressures were too high. I called my doctor and Im waiting for a call back to discuss.
questions for the community:
  1. Has this happened to anyone else?

2. Im thinking this is extremely dangerous. Am i over reacting?

3. Should I use a breathe strip to keep my nostrils open tonight?

4. Or should I stop my machine usage until I hear from my doctor.

1. Uncontrolled my AHI is 47.3
  5. I use OSCAR, but dont know how to use it enough to pinpoint what happened. im happy to post screenshots etc.

RE: Nostril Pinching - Full Face Mask - optimalsleep - 06-19-2020

You live in a hot dry climate, it sounds like. At least list the state you live in.

You need humidification.

Res med AS10... isn't BiPAP. You have a RESmed AS10 listed for your equipment and is a plain CPAP. AS10 has a humidifier.......
Sounds like your pressure is too high.
Go ahead and post a screenshot OSCAR analysis.

You have a F30 face mask not an FT 30.....

RE: Nostril Pinching - Full Face Mask - Sleeprider - 06-19-2020

If you mainly breathe nasally you should consider using a nasal pillows mask like the Airfit P10 rather than the FFM. Pressure would not cause this but poor fit could. See the mask primer link in my signature.

FFM, nasal pillow......he's congested. CPAP will do it. Me personally I used sudafed for a bit and now Ibeprophen to stay clear most of the night. My events are low even though my leak rate is high at times with a nasal P30i. WHat bugs me is the fixed setting doesn't work with my humidifier..... haven't figured it out yet.

RE: Nostril Pinching - Full Face Mask - chicanogeek - 06-19-2020

i havent logged in here in a bit, and just got a new machine a couple of days ago

sorry to spam i need one more post to post links.

sorry im new here and trying to figure out how to post a link.  i attached three screenshots, the max that the site lets me right now.

here is a link h-ttps://imgur.com/a/wCv7diR with an added dash.

looks good on your new machine

i thought i uploaded them to imgur from the top down.  here is an attachment showing those three specific graphs.

How do feel now? Still dealing with congestion?

i dont think it was congestion last night, i only used the saline to lubricate my nostrils since they were basically stuck together.  i agree the events have gone way down with the new machine unfortunately, i felt like i almost died last night becuase i stopped breathing, and then after i woke up and tried to take another breath, my nostrils were stuck together.  of course by then i had ripped off the mask, and started breathing through my mask.  im just concerned that i could die from this if it keeps occurring.  like what if i cant breathe because stuck nostrils and i dont actually wake myself up.

the reason i went FFM is because i originally had nasal pillows, and couldnt breathe with them because i kept breathing out of my mouth!

the other question i have is, can i use breathe strips to keep my nostrils open tonight, or will that interfere with the machine?  i dont think my doctor is gonna call me back today.