Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Can you feel a difference in the <5 AHI range? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Can you feel a difference in the <5 AHI range? (/Thread-Can-you-feel-a-difference-in-the-5-AHI-range)

Can you feel a difference in the <5 AHI range? - tiredofbeingtired - 06-25-2020

Since <5 AHI is technically treated, I'm curious if people on this board feel better with a AHI lower than 5. If so, what AHI do you feel like you have to be at to feel well rested? And how far down can you notice a significant difference?

RE: Can you feel a difference in the <5 AHI range? - BillMar - 06-25-2020

YES!
I think you should aim to be as low as possible. I have used a CPAP machine for more than 5 years. My average AHI was 1.5 over that period. I recently got a new Dreamstation, and for various reasons the AHI average jumped up to about 5, with many nights in the 10 range. I felt considerably worse in the morning. The Dr. said up to 5.0 was OK. By using the information on this board I was able to make changes to get the average down to about 2.5 with no nightly "wild" jumps from average as had been occurring. I feel much better, hence my comment. I think it is not only the absolute AHI number but the variation from that which is important in how you feel.

RE: Can you feel a difference in the <5 AHI range? - OpalRose - 06-25-2020

Having a low AHI number doesn't necessarily mean well rested.  

I've had nights where I toss and turn for no good reason and know I didn't sleep well, only to wake up and find and AHI of below 1.  Then there's mornings I feel really good and well rested, only to look at the machine and see and AHI 2+.

There's no reasoning to it except to go by how you feel.  If you feel like a truck ran over you when you get up, then something's not right.  If you feel good, then go about your day and don't obsess over small deviations in your numbers.

Aim low, but don't obsess over it. How you feel is key.

Now with that said, I really believe that most of us should be able to get those numbers down <3. I really hate when doctors say 5-10 AHI is ok. How would they like to be strangled 5 times an hour? Sad

Also, it's just not the total AHI, but the makeup of the AHI.

RE: Can you feel a difference in the <5 AHI range? - SarcasticDave94 - 06-25-2020

I noticed it. An AHI of 5 is a measuring stick for the medical people to gauge success. I feel best at around 2 AHI, even if the ASV therapy is capable of getting 0s on the AHI. Zero isn't necessary as a goal or for best feel for me. There's lots of AB members that would say the same.

RE: Can you feel a difference in the <5 AHI range? - mesenteria - 06-25-2020

I guess it depends on the individual and what they 'think' about it when they see numbers that are quite substantially at variance with recent averages that run to about six months.

A bit of an analogy:  We see, and remark, on the numerous and varied developments in growth and mental prowess in our youth when they are under the age of about 10.  Each six month period presents a highly discrete (important term there) difference that can be measured by standardized tests.  Now, let's jump ahead 65 years to the last decade of life.  Do we expect to see the same rate of decline on the 'far side' of one's life?  Yep, we sure do.  In between, it's just a long and interesting story.  But those remarkable end-pieces make each evolution, good or bad, much more salient. 

The same thing happens when we get used to seeing a 'happy range' that suddenly shifts, and it's worse if we don't really understand why it happened.  If one has been getting, and expecting, AHI between, say, 1.5 and 2.5, and then it rises over a few days to 4.5, and stays close to that, we have no choice but to sit up and take notice.  The difference, intuitively and numerically, is well over 85%!! That's a substantial variance.  Even if we don't feel much of a difference, our brains are screaming at us to do....something!!

This would be no different if we had been getting AHIs in the range of 3.5-4.5, and then slipped into what could only be termed a salutary average of only 1.3 for a few weeks running.  Who wouldn't find pleasure in that?  But, if you'd been paying attention, you'd sure as heck notice it, and still wonder what had changed.

I don't have an answer in all of this, but if you're the least bit current with your general averages, a substantial shift would have to give you pause, and going from something like an AHI near 4-5 down to a solid 2 might, if nothing else, help you to relax and to enjoy it more.  Further, I think it's worth the chase.  It might be elusive for a time, but I think anyone whose machine is in good order, and that is offering the correct therapy, might as well tinker now and then and see what happens to the good.

RE: Can you feel a difference in the <5 AHI range? - Big Guy - 06-25-2020

My AHI's are almost always well under 5. My lowest one has been 0.2 so far. 

They seem to be random at times, and I can't tell any difference at all, between them.  Dont-know