Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
CPAP Newbie - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: CPAP Newbie (/Thread-CPAP-Newbie--29663)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

CPAP Newbie - Sleepy Lou - 07-05-2020

Hello, SleepyLou here, and I'm a CPAP newbie. Came across this site while researching Aerophagia, and I decided to become a member and part of this sleep apnea community. I participate on other forums (not related to sleep apnea),  and I know first hand how helpful forums can be.   

I'm in my mid-forties, and my wife, for years insisted that I go get myself checked out for sleep apnea. She freaks out when she observes me when I 'm sleeping, and not breathing for a long extended periods of time followed by a loud gasping sounds. My kids make fun of me on how loud I snore, and I began to notice I was developing symptoms associated with apnea. I said enough was enough, and got my script to get myself tested for sleep apnea. Long story short, I went to sleep center last month and got tested. 

My test results found that I indeed have sleep apnea and that I needed to use a Face mask and a pressure of 15. Fast forward 2 weeks ago, a respiratory technician came to my home and set me up on a ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP machine. The first 2 nights were horrible, which was frustrating because I handled the sleep study just fine with a similar set up. The following 2 nights were a little better but I had to take the gear off and and shut off the machine in the middle of the night.  I would wake up feeling like a soccer ball was stuffed into my stomach while I was asleep, and (excuse my description) I was REALLY,,,REALLY Gassy (sorry,,,).  I discontinued using the CPAP machine, jumped on my computer the next morning and found out I was experiencing Aerophagia. Which apparently is pretty common among CPAP users on higher pressures. I contacted my Dr. and told him what was happening, expecting him to tell me that he would lower the pressure of the machine, and instead he told me he's never heard of what I was experiencing. Huh?!? He then recommended me to "try out" the Nasal pillows with a chin strap. I was hesitant but agreed. He's the Dr right? 

Technician came by my house again, and set me up with the nasal pillows. As soon the technician ran diagnostics to check for a good seal, and the machine ramped up to 15, I knew right then and there that the nasal pillows were not going to work. The technician also provided me with a chin strap, and mentioned that in some rare cases, individuals using a chin strap and the mask had favorable results. So now I had two options to work with. Nasal Pillows or Mask. I decided to try out Mask with chin strap. 

2 nights ago, I began using the CPAP machine again along with the chin strap. I slept for 5hrs and 30 min and had .01 episodes, before I began feeling mild aerophagia discomfort. I removed the chin strap and mask and slept another 2.5 hours. Last night I tried again, but the chin strap was driving me nuts so I removed it and just stayed with the mask on and the Aerophagia came back with a vengeance 2.5 hrs into my sleep. I shut the machine off and took everything off!! I looked at my report, and I had 3 episodes. 

I'm at wit ends here. I know I need the CPAP machine, but the same machine that is supposed to help me is preventing me from sleeping, I'm going backwards!! Help!! 

Thank you for reading, and would appreciate any advice from experienced CPAP users.

RE: CPAP Newbie - Gideon - 07-05-2020

Welcome to the forum.

Let's get you setup.
1. In the above black banner click on "CPAP Setup Manuals".  Follow the instructions, it is a manual process so not instantaneous but the end result is you will have the Clinical Manual for your machine and thus know how to change settings.
2. Download OSCAR <--- (link) and in the black banner next to the "CPAP Setup Manuals".  OSCAR gives us the info needed to make intelligent suggestions for changes.  For instance, we WILL suggest lowering your pressure to prevent your aerophagia, with the intent to raise it back to a full therapeutic value slowly as you get used to it.  Step one above is to help know how to do this yourself.

3. On reviewing your OSCAR daily charts, we will suggest changes to optimize the therapy specifically for you based on how you and your body are responding and the types of events that are present.  Collectively we do very well at this.  We cannot make any changes to your machine, but we do know how to read what is happening and will offer you our years of experience in dealing with CPAP issues.

RE: CPAP Newbie - Sleepy Lou - 07-05-2020

Appreciate the info bonjour.

RE: CPAP Newbie - GeNomeZ - 07-05-2020

Welcome to the forum! I’m also new to the group and in South FL.

The folks here really know what they are doing and will be really helpful. They’ve helped me a ton in my short time here (I’ve only been using a CPAP for 9 nights).

Good luck!

RE: CPAP Newbie - Sabina - 07-05-2020

Welcome! Cool

I’ve been here since last December and it has been a Godsend. 

In reading this forum and playing with my machine settings, I seem to have gotten myself to where my AHI is rarely over 1 and my average is about 0.2-0.5. I adore my machine and absolutely can not sleep without it. I tried once during a power outage and ended up buying backup battery the next day. It was the most miserable night of my life. 

I kept wondering how in the heck I ever survived prior to my machine. 

Be patient, you’ll get there. What full face maskS have you tried?  Sleep-well

RE: CPAP Newbie - Sleepy Lou - 07-06-2020

Thank you for the welcome. For the first time, in 2 weeks of using the CPAP, I slept well. I looked over the myAir data for last night, and my score was 97/100.

I had .8 episodes/hr and I was shy 20 min, of getting a full 7 hours of sleep with the mask on. The Aerophagia returned, but not as intense. I figured out why I think. Since I was wearing a chin strap, the strap shifted it self loose while I was asleep, and as result I swallowed air.

I made a few changes to my CPAP machine settings last night that may have made the difference. I lowered my Pressure to 13.6, took the ramp feature from auto, and set it to 30 min and I made sure the chin strap was snug but not too tight. Since I started my therapy, the mask has never been an issue, its been perfect fit and seal for me (I'm a medium).

Bonjour, as I mentioned above, I appreciate the info you shared with me. I will back up for a moment and share a short back story. As I was looking over the CPAP manuals thread, the opening paragraph jumped out me when the topic about CPAP settings and how it was not illegal for the patient to adjust his/her settings. Confession time... Before I joined this site, I observed the last technician that came to my home, and saw how they accessed the Clinical Menu. (hehehehe) I have been adjusting my pressure levels in very small increments, and have researched and understand the importance of the AHI. Monitoring the pressure settings along with my AHI readings have helped me narrow down what settings will work for me. So far, the introduction of the chin strap may be the aid I was looking for in the prevention of or reduction of Aerophagia.

Based on last night's results, I'm moving in the right direction. I will keep my current CPAP settings as is and monitor my results every morning.

Question for the group: Is the chin strap or cervical sleep collar be more effective in the prevention of Aerophagia?

Thanks again for reading.

RE: CPAP Newbie - Gideon - 07-06-2020

What are the words on the front of your machine?
"CPAP", this machine has no detailed data
"ELITE", a CPAP with detailed data
"AutoSet", a machine that changes pressure algorithmically. Also with detailed data. An APAP

(07-06-2020, 07:42 AM)bonjour Wrote: What are the words on the front of your machine?  
"CPAP", this machine has no detailed data
"ELITE", a CPAP with detailed data
"AutoSet", a machine that changes pressure algorithmically. Also with detailed data. An APAP

bonjour, the words in front of my machine are : ResMed, AirSense 10, CPAP.

RE: CPAP Newbie - Gideon - 07-06-2020

A couple of things.
We do not recommend your machine for one reason. That is that it does not provide detailed data. This is data that we use to identify issues you may be having.

For example,
1. Leaks, Are you having mask leaks or are you mouth breathing?
2. Are you tucking your chin through the night thus causing obstructive events that no amount of pressure will correct?
3. Are you having issues with Flow Limits as these are otherwise unreported.

Also this "CPAP" machine is the same billing code as the Elite" or the "AutoSet" which means it costs you the same as these higher models. It costs your supplier less so more profit for them.

I would forceibly request one of the other models so you can get the detailed data that OSCAR reads.

Do you have a copy of your prescription? Let's make sure it meets the prescription.

Ask your doctor if he intended you to get a machine that provided no detailed data. If so he can fix. Also, the Auto is best for Aerophagia.

Best choice is the AutoSet. It is better for Aerophagia because the Auto feature will raise pressure to resolve obstructive issues while maintaing a lower average pressure thus minimizing or eliminating aerophagia.

The Elite is similar to your CPAP. But with data.

Tell him the pain from the Aerophagia is such that it's impacting your sleep, you need to stop it or only use it a hour or two them sl|p without it. At least that's what a lot of others say.

(07-06-2020, 08:20 AM)bonjour Wrote: A couple of things.
We do not recommend your machine for one reason.  That is that it does not provide detailed data. This is data that we use to identify issues you may be having.

For example,
1. Leaks, Are you having mask leaks or are you mouth breathing?
2. Are you tucking your chin through the night thus causing obstructive events that no amount of pressure will correct?
3. Are you having issues with Flow Limits as these are otherwise unreported.

Also this "CPAP" machine is the same billing code as the Elite" or the "AutoSet" which means it costs you the same as these higher models.  It costs your supplier less so more profit for them.

I would forceibly request one of the other models so you can get the detailed data that OSCAR reads.

Do you have a copy of your prescription?  Let's make sure it meets the prescription.

Ask your doctor if he intended you to get a machine that provided no detailed data.  If so he can fix.  Also, the Auto is best for Aerophagia.

Best choice is the AutoSet.  It is better for Aerophagia because the Auto feature will raise pressure to resolve obstructive issues while maintaing a lower average pressure thus minimizing or eliminating aerophagia.

The Elite is similar to your CPAP. But with data.

Tell him the pain from the Aerophagia is such that it's impacting your sleep, you need to stop it or only use it a  hour or two them sl|p without it.  At least that's what a lot of others say.

Great information bonjour, thank you!!  I would have never known this about the different machines. Especially in regards to the costs of the supplier...  Angry  but that's whole other topic. 
I do not have a copy of a script, since my Dr. office took care of everything in regards to my sleep study. After my Dr reviewed my results, I received a phone call from a home health care company and they dropped off the the AirSense 10. 
I will reach out to my Dr. and see if he will provide me with a script for a better CPAP unit.  Thanks again.