Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
oscar "up to date" but no data - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Software Support Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Software-Support-Forum)
+--- Thread: oscar "up to date" but no data (/Thread-oscar-up-to-date-but-no-data)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

oscar "up to date" but no data - sheepless - 07-09-2020

upon downloading last night's data from the sd card, oscar 1.1.0 beta 1 tells me it's already up to date but "nothing's here!", "no data is available for this day", "no sessions present". 

the card has 798 mb free of 1.84 gb. it is & was unlocked and was in my machine all night. I flipped the lock switch a couple times to make sure it was truly unlocked before trying to download a 2nd & 3rd time with purges in between.

the oscar page for 7.8.20 is not visible unless I click on the date in the calendar (arrows do not advance the date). initiating a purge of the day's data from the calendar had no effect.

rebuilding data had unfortunate results.  afterwards, I looked at every day since 1.1.20.  beginning 2.5.20 and every subsequent day has the machine and setting info under ahi on the daily tab uncentered and skewed to the left along with the note that pressure settings are guessed that day.  

2.5.20 & 2.6.20 were devoid of data as well until I restarted oscar, after which it looks like the others with skewed info and guessed settings. restarting oscar had no other noticeable effect.

the 20200708 datalog on the sd card contains just 2 files of 1kb each, a .crc & an .edf file.

I think I saw that rebuilding is from data stored on my computer rather than from the sd card.  I wouldn't be surprised if a windows update corrupted some data but I don't know that.  windows update history shows nothing since 6.30.20 and that was just a security update for adobe flash player.  I've been postponing windows updates since then. 

is there a way to right this ship?  shouldn't it at least show summary data and not guess at settings?  I can live without a day's data but am concerned something serious has gone awry since yesterday.  guess my next step will be to start over with a new install of the latest version of oscar but even if it works I'm curious about what went wrong since yesterday. 

when I do a new install, I'm thinking it cleaner to avoid the many folders and files from previous versions and download data directly from the sd card (unless the card data is corrupt?).  can I tell oscar not to look for data files on the computer or do I have to move or rename them?  I'd like to preserve existing data if possible.  should I delete or uninstall the 4 or 5 earlier oscar versions still on my computer?

RE: oscar "up to date" but no data - GuyScharf - 07-09-2020

I recommend you upgrade to OSCAR 1.1.1. There were problems with ResMed backups that are corrected in 1.1.1, and that could affect rebuilding.

Yes, if you have all the original data on an SD card, that is certainly the best way if you have any question about your data on disk. You can just create a new profile in your OSCAR_Data directory and go from there. If everything works out well, then delete the old profile.

RE: oscar "up to date" but no data - jaswilliams - 07-10-2020

Sounds like you machine failed to write to the SD card they do go bad very easily if it fails again tonight replace it

RE: oscar "up to date" but no data - sheepless - 07-10-2020

well, that didn't go well. downloaded and installed 1.1.1 but first couple attempts failed / hung the program until I figured out how to bypass oscar attempting to transfer data from what appears to be my oldest oscar data folder which I believe is the only one I tried migrating data from SH rather than transferring from the sd card. I also changed the name on the data folder the new install tried to get data from.

anyway, I think it's working now. still no data from 7.8.20 but last night was recorded and shows up in oscar. idk why no data from the 8th; either an intermittent problem with the card or it wasn't seated properly I guess. machine info and settings are now centered properly & settings not guessed. of course all my previous journal notes do not transfer from the sd card.

how do I migrate/import old notes into the latest oscar version? can I just copy/move the files from older data folders into the new one? what happens if there are duplicates between notes from earlier versions?

RE: oscar "up to date" but no data - GuyScharf - 07-10-2020

(07-10-2020, 01:59 PM)sheepless Wrote: how do I migrate/import old notes into the latest oscar version?  can I just copy/move the files from older data folders into the new one? what happens if there are duplicates between notes from earlier versions?

There is no way to import notes from other profiles into OSCAR at this time.  However, it may be possible to transfer all notes from one other profile into the new profile, replacing any that are there.  Give me a couple of days to test to make sure what I am thinking about will work.

OSCAR 1.1.1 will allow you to export the journal as an XML file, which you can import into Excel, your browser, etc. to see the notes.  But there is no corresponding import function into OSCAR at this time.

Update: General need logged as Maintis #253

If you have a profile with lots of notes, and you want your new profile to have all those notes and are willing to lose any notes you may have put in the new profile, I think this method will work (it did in my limited test).  Be sure to keep backups of everything, just in case!

Look in the profile directories for the old and new profiles.  You should find each has a file named Journalxxxx where xxxx are hex digits.  Hopefully, the journal files do not have the same name!

Copy the journal file from the old profile to the new profile.  Now open the machines.xml file in the new profile with a text editor such as Notepad (on Windows) -- not a word processor program.

Look for a definition of the journal "machine."  It will look like this:

Code:
<machine class="Journal" type="4" id="6952">
 <properties/>
 <brand>OSCAR</brand>
 <model>Journal</model>
 <modelnumber></modelnumber>
 <serial>00001e2b</serial>
 <series></series>
 <dataversion>0</dataversion>
 <lastimported>2018-06-15T06:08:32</lastimported>
</machine>

See the id= field in the first line and the "serial" field several lines later?  Change the last four characters of the serial field to match the last four characters in the name of the journal file you just moved to your new profile.  Change the id= in the <machine> line to the decimal equivalent of those last four characters.  (You can either look up the the decimal equivalent in the old profile's machines.xml or use https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/hex-to-decimal.html to do the conversion for you.

Save the machines.xml file.  Start Oscar and see if your notes are there in the new profile.

Let me know if this works -- or doesn't.

RE: oscar "up to date" but no data - sheepless - 07-10-2020

wow, thanks! give me a few days to try this and I'll let you know. do you think the same procedure, with names changed, as it were, would transfer bookmarks from previous versions to 1.1.1?

btw, if I had chosen to migrate from earlier data folders as oscar wanted (rather than use the sd card), would notes and bookmarks have transferred?

Yes, that should work with journal files from earlier versions as well. But remember this method only allows replacing the journal file on a profile with one from another profile. It doesn't merge journal data from one profile to another.

If you had migrated SleepyHead data with the data migration option, notes and bookmarks should have been transferred.

WAIT! I am reading the journal code and may have a better solution for you, and one that allows you to merge data from older profiles. I'll get back to you in a day.

Merging notes and bookmarks from other profiles - GuyScharf - 07-15-2020

It turns out there is a way to merge notes, bookmarks, zombie settings, and weight reports from previous profiles into a new profile.  It requires working with your computer's file manager as the capability is not built directly into OSCAR.

Your profile exists in a folder in OSCAR_Data/Profiles/profilename. You may have used a different name than OSCAR_Data for your data folder and may have placed it somewhere than the usual default location of Documents, so make whatever adjustments are needed in the following discussion.  But the directory named "Profiles" will never have a different name.

Every profile for which a note or bookmark has ever been recorded contains a "machine" folder named "Journal_xxxxxxxx".  Every Journal folder contains a folder named Summaries.  The Journal_xxxxxxxx/Summaries folder contains files with names like "5d087c4e.000", where the hex string is a Unix epoch timestamp.  So every day for which a note, bookmark, etc. have been recorded will have such a file in the Journal_xxxxxxxx/Summaries folder.

The first thing to do is to use your file manager to open the new profile you are going to want to merge all your old notes into and confirm that its Journal folder exists.  If you have never created a note or bookmark that profile, its Journal folder will not yet have been created.  Start OSCAR, open the new profile, and create a note (anything at all will do).  Close OSCAR and look again for the new profile's Journal folder.  It should now have been created.

Now, with your file manager go the Journal_xxxxxxx/Summaries folder for each profile you want to copy notes and bookmarks etc. from.  Just copy all the files in that folder to the new profile's Journal_xxxxxxx/Summaries folder.  Do this for all profiles whose notes you want to merge into the new profile.

Finally, in the new profile's Journal folder, you will see a file named "Summaries.xml.gz".  Delete that file.  (This is a compressed cache that OSCAR will automatically rebuild.)

Start OSCAR.  All your notes and bookmarks should be in the new profile.

Some cautions: As you look around various profile folders, you may find Summaries folders for other "machines" such as your CPAP machine.  Don't touch those folders and don't move those files anywhere.  They have nothing to do with notes and bookmarks but contains CPAP, Oximetry, etc. data.

You can copy files from a profiles Journal_xxxxxxx/Summaries folder from any version of OSCAR.  You may also be able to copy the files from profiles created by recent versions of Sleepyhead, but I have not tested how early a Sleepyhead version you can copy from.

If a profile you want to copy notes and bookmarks from does not have a Journal_xxxxxxx folder in the profile, then there are no notes or bookmarks to copy.

Hope this is clear and helps.