Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Treatment] Induced Centrals (5-8 pressure) Too Many to get Used to? Settings Change? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Treatment] Induced Centrals (5-8 pressure) Too Many to get Used to? Settings Change? (/Thread-Treatment-Induced-Centrals-5-8-pressure-Too-Many-to-get-Used-to-Settings-Change)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Induced Centrals (5-8 pressure) Too Many to get Used to? Settings Change? - Gideon - 07-13-2020

(07-13-2020, 01:17 PM)suzdream Wrote: Ughhh the resmed lady just called and said 6 is too low to overcome obstructions and she is turning it back up.
It is not sounding good, Your obstructive events are 1.17 AHI your obstructive events are very well managed!!!
It sounded like she will continue to increase the pressure because I described waking up not being able to breathe so she said my events being aren't managed yet  ?? ?
Based on this you do need a higher min prressure, but for comfort, not to manage obstructive events!!!

So I guess I will need to show her I am having lots (or more) events still? I didn't mention central vs obstructive, just that this felt different than before and felt new, and I wondered if a lower pressure would help my brain "get used to the machine".

Last night I had the lowest AHI yet too.  I wonder if she is even checking my real stats?
One of two things
1. she is not reading the same data I am (wrong patient?)
2. She really doesn't have a clue what is going on and is assuming that all Apnea is Obstructive.  (We actually see a lot of this)

She is also turning EPR back on and asked if I went into the "clinicians" menu... I just said oh it was in a comfort menu I thought it was unimportant comfort stuff ??
Officially you are correct, but EPR is what treats obstructive events other than Apnea which is treated with your EPAP / Exhale pressure (Min Pressure) EPR is the best treatment for Hypopnea, Flow Limits, RERAs, UARS, and even snoring if it is still there. It is what gives ResMed the edge in Sleep Apnea therapy and treatment.

I asked her what if this doesn't work? And she said we can try a new mask ??  I am not sure her rationale in that, but I guess asking her about an EERS is out ??
Honestly your doctors wouldn't have a clue about what EERS is, especially if they do not understand Central Apnea.  Central Apnea is common enough that everyone in sleep medicine should have a decent concept of this.

It's going to be a long summer I think ?
You need to find a new person to manage your apnea.  
The interview is one question, "What would you do if a patient presented with primarily Central Apnea?"
Blue are my comments (Bonjour)

RE: Induced Centrals (5-8 pressure) Too Many to get Used to? Settings Change? - suzdream - 07-13-2020

Thank you for the EPR explanation!! I didn't realize it had a therapeutic use. 

When I woke up and couldn't breath I thought it was from a central apnea where it triggered my waking reflex but maybe not. 

I think she really doesn't have a clue what is going on (she is most certainly not a doctor ??), but I am also not sure how to get anyone different ?

Im in Canada so the process was : my doctor gave me a referral paper sheet I took to their office, and then I got the sleep study kit from them and brought it back there. Then the resmed lady called me and set me up with machine. So I'm not sure how to even get someone else. 

I might have to fess up and tell her I took out the card and downloaded the data, and that I believe it's treatment emergent central apnea. I wish I could just have a real conversation with medical people, and that they would actually try to help.

I think you are right a used asv would be cheaper now rather than waiting 18 months and paying more.  

Did you have a look at my pics I posted in the comment before? Is there anything you thought? 

Thanks!!

RE: Induced Centrals (5-8 pressure) Too Many to get Used to? Settings Change? - sheepless - 07-13-2020

"When I woke up and couldn't breath I thought it was from a central apnea where it triggered my waking reflex..."

my first thought as well, in which case you should see more ca when raising pressure.

RE: Induced Centrals (5-8 pressure) Too Many to get Used to? Settings Change? - suzdream - 07-13-2020

I fully expect to see way more CA events tomorrow morning unfortunately.

RE: Induced Centrals (5-8 pressure) Too Many to get Used to? Settings Change? - Sleeprider - 07-13-2020

Canada has failed its citizens in health care, so they come here and self-fund things that work and keep them alive, yet many US citizens envy your health care. It takes you 18 months to schedule a titration, and the average wait here is 1 to 3 months. Go figure. If you want to take this out of pocket, we can solve your problem by the end of the week for about $500 USD. In return you can forget all about Nurse Ratched at Resmed.

[Image: 5891fedc76d54.image.jpg]