Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
First night with OSCAR, what does it mean? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: First night with OSCAR, what does it mean? (/Thread-First-night-with-OSCAR-what-does-it-mean)

First night with OSCAR, what does it mean? - BB63 - 07-27-2020

Today I got my much awaited SD card reader and I saw my own data in Oscar for the first time!

My interpretation  of the data shows I don't have a serious sleep apnea problem although I could very obviously be incorrect.

I notice 1/3 of the events happened after I woke up in the morning! And, I'm not sure why the leak rate shows zero most of the time-the vent holes on my mask would have to be 100 percent plugged up to make that happen. And, I have some terms to look up in the glossary.

Would appreciate some comments from the membership regarding what the graphs actually show.

TIA

W1ABA

RE: First night with OSCAR, what does it mean? - Sleeprider - 07-27-2020

You certainly don’t have a severe apnea problem, but do yourself a favor and turn on EPR. It appears you are using a limited auto pressure from 11.0 to 12.2. I’d recommend you add EPR full time at 3 and perhaps open up the pressure range from 9.0 to 14.0. The EPR will make you much more comfortable and will reduce flow limitation. Try it you’ll like it.

RE: First night with OSCAR, what does it mean? - Gideon - 07-27-2020

Sleepriders suggestions should help with the flow limits and improve your comfort with the machine.

RE: First night with OSCAR, what does it mean? - BB63 - 07-27-2020

Wow, based on my first look at the data, I already changed the pressure with a range of 9 to 13!! And, I changed the Antibacterial Filter setting in the CPAP. I can't take to much stock in a single nights worth of data, so time will tell.

I'm not sure about the EPR change, I had a recent experience with a hospital supplied CPAP and they refused to disable the EPR or even share the settings with me. But, I'll try it sometime soon.

TY all.

W1ABA

RE: First night with OSCAR, what does it mean? - BB63 - 07-27-2020

I just zoomed in on the 3 to 3:15 AM data. It is very telling I think. During this period I had 9 events, more than a third of them happened during those 13 minutes. I posted the zoomed screen capture. To me, it looks very much like I might have woken up (arousal), suspicious since I had just gotten to sleep 30 minutes earlier.

I should note that I live in severe Gout pain and have long suspected that I wake during my sleep due to the pain. At times I wake up screaming from trying to roll over, so I do know that pain can awaken me. Yesterday the pain was very severe.

I also moved the AHI graph so it could be seen on the same time axis as the flow rate. And, the zoomed in data looks a lot like the data I get when I am fully awake. I'm wondering if I might have fallen asleep, but woke up a little later....but with no memory of the awakening in the morning when I got up for the day.

Is this possible or a reasonable hypothesis?

W1ABA

RE: First night with OSCAR, what does it mean? - jaswilliams - 07-29-2020

Do not change the antibacterial filter setting

The antibacterial setting should be off, unless you have a special Resmed Antibacterial Filter between your machine and mask. Turing the setting on will adversely affect the machine pressures