Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Never Hungry, Always Fat - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Never Hungry, Always Fat (/Thread-Never-Hungry-Always-Fat)

Pages: 1 2

Never Hungry, Always Fat - sneef - 08-02-2020

I was diagnosed with Severe OSA (91/h).

I wonder if one of my own personal issues is shared by some/many/most people who were diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and had not yet found the right treatment (CPAP not yet working right for me, that's another thread).

I go to bed, i do this thing i always thought was sleeping... i wake up, I'm not hungry. No ghrelin i assume.

I can, and often do go 4-6 hours being awake before i will take any food of substance, i may drink some water or almond milk, but barely a glass and sometimes nothing... and even when i do eat, I'm not exactly "starving hungry".

The makeup of my diet is pretty decent, certainly not perfect, but better than many. I'm not particularly active (too sleepy) and some day's i am sure I'm not even getting 1000 calories into me... and yet i still have a large belly/man-b00bs, lots of neck fat and a bit of love handles... while sporting little chicken legs

{god i am a train-wreck, I'm sure glad everyone here understands I'm on a journey towards better health, but i feel like i am walking underwater 24/7}.

So the question here is, who else had a similar lack of hunger when suffering untreated OSA? Some/Most/Many/All?

and ... If/When i find the right therapy, that allows me to finally get some sleep... Am i magically going to turn into that teenager i once was who demanded a big breakfast?

RE: Never Hungry, Always Fat - srlevine1 - 08-02-2020

Have you undertaken a full medical workup? Especially cardiac functions and blood tests -- including thyroid functions? 

And, no disrespect, but have you ever considered clinical depression which can affect changes in sleep, appetite, energy level, concentration, and daily behavior? 

Is your calorie intake balanced with your calorie expenditure because it generally takes a calorie deficit of 3,500 calories to lose a pound of weight? Make sure you remain well-hydrated to prevent kidney and other organ issues. 

Best of luck.

RE: Never Hungry, Always Fat - Jeff8356 - 08-03-2020

Medications may also play a role, but you didn't mention any.  Steroids (prescription) can play a big part.  Do you use any type of asthma/copd inhalers? Or take prednisone or some other form of steroid? Or some kinds of blood pressure meds can have undesired side effects.

I am never hungry in the morning either.  But I have been like that for decades before I was diagnosed with OSA.  Seems that my stomach and my mind are in two different time zones.  Coffee in the morning then nothing to eat until noon or so.  Calorie intake is usually around 1200 for an average day but I have been 40+ pounds overweight now for years.  I don't loose any but I don't gain any either.
I am also pretty sedentary due to health problems.  Exercise is minimal, maybe a walk around my property, or working in the garden for a while.

Worth having a conversation with your Dr about it.  And be honest with him/her.

RE: Never Hungry, Always Fat - Sleeprider - 08-03-2020

Speaking of your other thread, the last post there was in April 2017. How about an update http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-I-was-prescribed-CPAP-can-i-buy-BiPAP?pid=200884#pid200884

RE: Never Hungry, Always Fat - mesenteria - 08-03-2020

(08-02-2020, 10:59 PM)sneef Wrote:  

The makeup of my diet is pretty decent, certainly not perfect, but better than many. I'm not particularly active (too sleepy) and some day's i am sure I'm not even getting 1000 calories into me... and yet i still have a large belly/man-b00bs, lots of neck fat and a bit of love handles... while sporting little chicken legs

{god i am a train-wreck, I'm sure glad everyone here understands I'm on a journey towards better health, but i feel like i am walking underwater 24/7}.

So the question here is, who else had a similar lack of hunger when suffering untreated OSA? Some/Most/Many/All?

and ... If/When i find the right therapy, that allows me to finally get some sleep... Am i magically going to turn into that teenager i once was who demanded a big breakfast?

If you are not active, and if you also severely curtail your calorific intake, you will certainly start autophagy and begin to lose weight.  At the same time, your basal metabolic rate will diminish, and it will become harder for you to lose weight on the reduced calories you are consuming.  This is a well-known and well-understood phenomenon.

You say your legs are thin.  This is because they have to do so little work.  They are seldom exposed to the kind of resistance training that weight-bearing muscles need to maintain mass, vascularization, and tone.  When you restrict calories severely, you begin the process of autophagy (self eating), and you'll lose muscle mass at the same rate that you lose adipose mass.  If you want to keep muscle tissue, which keeps you warm and able to withstand stress and work requirements, not to mention keep good posture, you must do resistance training, or High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).  The reasoning is that, if you stress yourself by fasting for periods of up to 24 hours, your system goes into stress and secretes both Growth Hormone and Cortisol.  The cortisol is not great, but the growth hormone is what you need to help you to maintain (by growing) lean mass....muscles.

Apart from the advice to seek medical assessment and guidance, soon, please, I would urge you to go onto youtube and watch several videos by Dr. Sten Ekberg, Dr. Stephen Phinney, Thom DeLaurer, or Carlo Macapinlac.  This won't happen in a week, trust me, but if you persist and take in several videos by all of those, you are likely to come away with a better grasp of why your body appears as it does.

RE: Never Hungry, Always Fat - BB63 - 08-03-2020

Functional Medicine Practitioners believe 1200 calories of food is enough if in balance and without food additives, colorings and other toxins that the FDA allows to be added to our foods without putting the info on the labels. The food you eat supports your Microbiome or kills it off-it's where 2/3 of your immunity comes from. The bacteria in your stomach are connected to every organ in your body, a healthy Microbiome is just as important as the brain is.

Do you eat bread or other processed flour, large amounts of sweets, high carb foods instead of fresh organic veggies?

You do need to see a doctor and get lots of blood work done to find out if you're deficient in necessary nutrients and vitamins/minerals. But, use the info to improve your health, the bloodwork is a beginning and is not the end of your journey. Likely you will need some supplements at the very least.

PM me if you like, I'm fairly well versed regarding the diet. And on youtube, watch Dr. Hyman videos!

AB

RE: Never Hungry, Always Fat - JJJ - 08-04-2020

Nobody has specifically mentioned blood sugar, but your symptoms definitely raise the suspicion of blood sugar problems. A cheap way to get some data is to get a blood sugar meter and some test strips for it. You can buy one at any pharmacy without a prescription for $10-20 (they all provide about the same accuracy, so just go for the cheapest). However, if you are in Thailand the pharmacies may not carry them, so online might be your best choice. It would reveal a lot if you test yourself on getting up in the morning before you ingest anything, as well as what your blood sugar is before eating, and then how quickly and how much it goes up after eating. Do this over a couple of days to see patterns.

RE: Never Hungry, Always Fat - Cpapian - 08-10-2020

yes to what everyone else said. 

I was taught to always eat breakfast,  it's the most important meal of the day.  Eating 1st thing kick starts your metabolism. 

Another fun fact ... when your waist is bigger than your hips your metabolism is slower. 

If you got up in the morning ate, even a little bit, then did some exercise for half an hour,  those small changes might help a bit.

Small changes can add up.

RE: Never Hungry, Always Fat - Shadowpup - 08-11-2020

I lived in Thailand two and a half years.  Push away the khao pad, SINGHA, and Mekhong.  Eat from the market, not the food store.  Chok dee.

RE: Never Hungry, Always Fat - BB63 - 08-11-2020

(08-11-2020, 05:13 AM)Shadowpup Wrote: I lived in Thailand two and a half years.  Push away the khao pad, SINGHA, and Mekhong.  Eat from the market, not the food store.  Chok dee.

You are very wise!!

I don't know the meaning of khao pad, SINGHA, and Mekhong, nor the meaning of Chok dee. From the context of the message, I'm confident the unknowns are food types, which are very unhealthy and that Chok dee is saying 'goodbye' or something of that nature.

But, 'Eat from the market, not the food store' is very sound advice! The store bought food is loaded with toxins, additives, artificial flavorings, artificial coloring, bulking agents, nuerotoxins, antibiotics, higher levels of pesticides, soy, fillers, and added sugar/artificial sweeteners, which harm us, generally in seemingly asymptomatic ways. Even store bought dill pickles have toxins added, and they last for years in their own brine-there's no need for any additives in pickles! Only recently has the knowledge of unhealthy food additives become much more known to medical people as well as the average Joe on the street.

The market foods are fresh(er) and generally not treated with harmful additives and toxins!

You're very wise and the advice is A+, regardless of what country the patient lives in and it's especially relevant to our grocery store food (prepared/canned/frozen foods) in the US (thanks FDA!! Sad ). And a big TY to shadowpup for the great advice!

AB