Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New CPAP user night reports - Please advise - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New CPAP user night reports - Please advise (/Thread-New-CPAP-user-night-reports-Please-advise)

Pages: 1 2

New CPAP user night reports - Please advise - Cubus - 08-16-2020

Hello,

Night 2 on my Airsense Autoset. Got very little sleep. Spent most of the night in the half-conscious state but still feel great today! :-)
I've attached the report. I also a report from the first night (Aug 15th) for completion of data. That night was left at auto-ramp, 4-20 and EPR of 3. 

I turned off auto-ramp, adjusted the minimum pressure to 7, left EPR at 3 and initially let the max at 20. For whatever reason the unit started ramping up pressure really early in the night and high (~14). It was quite weird/uncomfortable. I've then limited the Max to 10 following advice in my other thread. 

I overall don't mind the feeling of the machine (if it's not at 14 pressure) and have very positive attitude towards the entire endeavor. However, if you have any tips for a novice on how to fall asleep with the mask or get used to it faster, I'd appreciate it. 

Another novice question. How do I sneeze or cough in it? Should I try to take it off my face as soon as I feel the sneeze coming, or is it ok to blow into the mask?  :-)

Thank you.

RE: New CPAP user night reports - Please advise - Cubus - 08-17-2020

Night 3

Still very little sleep. Almost note I'd say. 

I kind of half doze off to that state of half-consciousness and stay there. I did, however, realize that sometimes I've that feeling I just didn't take a breath. One of those situations was at 2:08am, which corresponded with CA. I then get more awake, focus on breathing and again, just stay there until I half doze off.

Would you recommend any change or keep going?

RE: New CPAP user night reports - Please advise - jaswilliams - 08-17-2020

As you numbers are less than 2 and the remaining events are there is not too much to worry about if the CA’s still concern you try reducing the EPR to 2 and see if that reduces the CA’s any

RE: New CPAP user night reports - Please advise - Cubus - 08-17-2020

(08-17-2020, 08:17 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: As you numbers are less than 2 and the remaining events are there is not too much to worry about if the CA’s still concern you try reducing the EPR to 2 and see if that reduces the CA’s any

Thank you for the feedback. 

I might be wrong, but isn't AHI calculated based on number of hours slept? Or actually measured in this case?

So if I slept a total of maybe 2 hours and not 9 used for AHI calculation, wouldn't the actual index be much higher if looked only at time slept?

I think that's exactly where the sleep docs also made a mistake in the past. They looked at my AHI and they said it's great, but I only slept for less than 30 mins during an 9.5hrs sleep test. 

I just can't fall asleep...

RE: New CPAP user night reports - Please advise - jaswilliams - 08-17-2020

CPAP won’t help you fall asleep so you then need to look elsewhere all CPAP treats is disordered breathing and that is adequately treated. But if your awake then the numbers don’t count.

RE: New CPAP user night reports - Please advise - Sleeprider - 08-17-2020

Your cpap calculates AHI based on the total time of use, so it really over-estimated if you only slept 2 hours. CA events commonly occur when awake, so nothing to worry about. I suspect this will improve as your acclimate to therapy.

RE: New CPAP user night reports - Please advise - Cubus - 08-18-2020

Hello,

I felt pretty hopeful last night that I'd fall asleep and wanted to redo another "sleep test", leaving the machine to it own mostly and very similar to my first night: 4-10 and ramp On with hopes I'd actually fall asleep and give me some data to work with. It worked.

The SpO2 is extremely similar to my usual night prior to CPAP with 1 alarm from dropping below 88%. To my surprise though, the SpO2 drops that happened mostly between 0:30am 1:30am correspond to no events reported by the machine. Would you know what was going on there?

Also a bunch of CA almost in the morning that resulted with AHI chart reaching over 9.0. How to interpret this chart? Is it showing where the events were the most significant and help focus on where to dig deeper into data?

Thank you.

RE: New CPAP user night reports - Please advise - Gideon - 08-18-2020

AHI chart, ignore it, we do. It is not uncommon to see a number of events as you are waking, we call it SWJ or Sleep Wake Junk.
I don't see anything that correlates with that or the events at 05:30.
Post a copy of the Advanced charts so we can see what is happening with other breathing measures
Click "View / Reset Graphics / Advanced"

Also a 3-minute zoomed view of the times where your O2 dropped. This is to see what, if anything was happening during those episodes.
Please check the times on both your CPAP and Oximeter.

RE: New CPAP user night reports - Please advise - Cubus - 08-18-2020

Advanced 3 min charts posts 1/3

There's a weird event at 1:27am posted in charts 3/3 where it looks like I'd a large mask leak right after two consecutive drops of O2 down to 90%.

Charts 2/3

Charts 3/3

Thank you so much for looking at those.

RE: New CPAP user night reports - Please advise - Gideon - 08-18-2020

Your breathing went shallow, thus your O2 stats dropped.