Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Diagnosis] UARS? Home Sleep Study Results, What Machine? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Diagnosis] UARS? Home Sleep Study Results, What Machine? (/Thread-Diagnosis-UARS-Home-Sleep-Study-Results-What-Machine)

UARS? Home Sleep Study Results, What Machine? - PatrickV - 08-23-2020

Hi everyone, I recently took an at home sleep study through Lofta. I am new to the forum but I've read a lot of great information and would appreciate some feedback on my results.

The reason I took the sleep study in the first place is because of my symptoms: chronic fatigue (despite having a consistent 8 hour sleep schedule), migraines, brain fog, difficulty concentrating, ADHD (possibly related), heavy congestion, and the last one that took the cake was me recently gasping for breath so loud in the middle of the night that I woke up my wife and dog.

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 165lbs
Extra: Terrible pollin/mold allergies that I manage with nasal spray.

Results:
Total Sleep Time: 7 hours and 20 minutes
Adi: 2.7( per hour)
Adi: 20( total during sleep time)
Rdi: 13( per hour)
Rdi: 96( total during sleep time)

Oxygen Saturation minimum: 93%
Oxygen Saturation average: 96%
Oxygen Saturation maximum: 100%
Oxygen desaturation 4-9%: 6 events during sleep 

Sleep pulse minimum: 36 BPM
Sleep pulse average: 43 BPM
Sleep pulse maximum: 96 BPM

Lofta said I had Obstructive Sleep Apnea. But since my adi is low and my rdi is high I was wondering if it could be UARS? If so should I get the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her or the ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto?

Please let me know if you need more information and thank for your time!

RE: UARS? Home Sleep Study Results, What Machine? - Sleeprider - 08-23-2020

Patrick, welcome to the forum. What nasal spray are you using. For allergies, Flonase (Flucasone Propionate) makes sense. Your AHI / RDI probably does not qualify for insurance coverage of CPAP or bielevel, but it is clearly very disruptive and is borderline. If you have good insurance with reasonable copay and deductibles, it is worth pursuing a prescription and coverage, if you have high copay or deductible, then CPAP or bilevel will provide significant relief from upper airway resistance, and it may be worth getting a prescription from your primary doctor to make equipment acquisition easier and possibly covered. With upper airway resistance, it is helpful to use therapy that is capable of bilevel pressure for inhale (higher) and exhale (lower). This directly treats flow limitations, RERA and hypopnea and is just more effective and comfortable.

The two best machines for that purpose are the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset which has exhale pressure relief providing up to 3-cm of pressure support, or the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto which is a full bilevel machine, but is more expensive, and may exceed your needs. Best bet is to check listings on some of the marketplaces like Craigslist (SearchTempest), Facebook Marketplace, Offerup, DotMed and if you have a prescription, Supplier #2, Supplier #33 an others. We can get you dialed in pretty quickly. Your other need is a mask, and the nasal pillows like the Resmed Airfit P10 are the quietest and least intrusive if you can avoid mouth breathing.

RE: UARS? Home Sleep Study Results, What Machine? - PatrickV - 08-23-2020

Hi Sleeprider,

Thanks for the quick and thorough response! For allergies I use Flonase. Fortunately the sleep study resulted in me getting a prescription.

That's very good to know that the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset has exhale pressure relief. It sounds like that would be a good choice since my case is on the mild side. 

RE: UARS? Home Sleep Study Results, What Machine? - Sleeprider - 08-23-2020

You will likely get a great deal of relief from flow limtations and upper airway restriction using the EPR feature with relatively low pressure. The minimum pressure of a CPAP is 4.0 cm, so to get the full benefit of EPR at 3, you need to start with a minimum pressure of 7.0. That results in inhale/exhale pressure of 7.0/4.0. In Autoset mode, the machine can easily keep you in the "zone". Be aware, the Philips uses a feature called Flex which is not the same. Be sure of what you are getting before having it delivered or picking it up, and beware of the Philips exclusive sales agreements many suppliers have agreed to.

RE: UARS? Home Sleep Study Results, What Machine? - PatrickV - 08-25-2020

Thank you for letting me know. I've read that figuring out ones preferred pressure takes time. So I appreciate you giving me a good starting point to work with!

RE: UARS? Home Sleep Study Results, What Machine? - Dormeo - 08-25-2020

Surprisingly, some people with mild cases may need more pressure than some people with moderate or severe cases, and I believe the same would go for pressure support.  If cost is not an issue for you, you might want to get the VAuto, which can do what the AirSense 10 Autset does, plus more. 

You could probably get additional symptomatic relief by seeing an allergist.  My current line-up includes Flonase, Azelastine, allergy shots, and NeilMed nasal rinses.

Once you have a machine and a mask, maybe continue posting in this thread, because your first post includes some helpful information for people who would be advising you.  Or you could copy/paste into a new thread.

RE: UARS? Home Sleep Study Results, What Machine? - PatrickV - 08-27-2020

Hi Doremo,

Thank you for the advice I'll definitely look into the VAuto.

I've tried a few other allergy remedies including NeilMed nasal rinses and Breath Right nasal strips. Flonase and the nasal strips have done a wonderful job of managing my symptoms.

I'll go ahead and post my results in this thread.