Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Finally, SUCCESS after almost giving up on CPAP (retitled) - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Finally, SUCCESS after almost giving up on CPAP (retitled) (/Thread-Finally-SUCCESS-after-almost-giving-up-on-CPAP-retitled)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: New member, please help me interpret results - Computerdoc - 09-15-2020

FFM would be a last resort due to claustrophobia.  Do others concur with multicast that given the current level of leaks, my therapy is totally ineffective?

Oh, and staceyburke, the noise appears to be coming from the machine, not leaks, especially on inhalation.  Looking forward to comparison with an N30i mask I’ll be getting soon.

For what it’s worth, info screen on Aircurve showed a smiley face on mask leaks last night.  Mouth was VERY dry, even woke me up.  I’ll be posting new OSCAR data when I return from travel.

RE: New member, please help me interpret results - staceyburke - 09-15-2020

You have had some the best people give suggestions. I don’t have anywhere the expertise they have.

With that being said I have a VAUTO and use a pillows mask. My leaks were bad and effected my therapy. I tried about everything I could. I bought a mouth piece that cut it down a little. Used tape no noticeable difference.

Then I tried something different. My min pressure was 9.4 and I decided I would lower it to 8 and my leaks were less. I went to 7 and my H went up but my leaks were there but NONE were large leaks. I finally ended up at 7.4 and there my H chart was good and my leaks were not over the upper limits.

As I said I’m not one of the experts here but this worked for me. One thing I would suggest is to put the dotted line in your chats for upper leak threshold. You do that by right clicking on the left side of the chart where the word leak is and choose dotted line. Then check upper limit.

That dotted line is the highest you machine can compensate for the leak. Above the therapy is less than effective.

RE: New member, please help me interpret results - Gideon - 09-15-2020

It's not like throwing a switch, the further you are above the large leak threshold the less effective you therapy becomes. You have too many leaks, and leaks can be hard to minimize. Too tight a mask (common) and too loose of a mask both cause leaks, you need the balance.

Try the Mirage Activa nasal mask. it has about a .5 inch "bellows" which allows the mask to float and the pressure to make the seal. If nothing else it well demonstrate how tight a mask should be. It is big, and as such a bit old school, but I found it effective for years.

Thanks Fred and Stacey.  Next batter up is the N30i, Knightsbridge chin strap on deck, and pressure adjustments and/or the Mirage Activa after that.  At least I have lots of options to try.
Fred, why are you no longer using the Activa if it worked for you so long?  I’m concerned I’d get tangled up with a nose tube.  I really like the top of head tube.
I’ll keep experimenting with the tightness.

RE: New member, please help me interpret results - Gideon - 09-15-2020

Vision, it interfered simply because of its size, near that of a FFM. It is very flexible and as such maintains a good seal even with a lot of motion. Adjusted properly you should be able to move the head gear much closer to your face, then spring back to where it started from. I started looking at the newer, much smaller nasal masks, and eventually the P10. My DME at the time said it was discontinued, I didn't understand that they were going to stop offering it but it was still available.

RE: New member, please help me interpret results - multicast - 09-16-2020

(09-15-2020, 10:39 AM)Computerdoc Wrote: FFM would be a last resort due to claustrophobia.  Do others concur with multicast that given the current level of leaks, my therapy is totally ineffective?

Well, I was a bit exaggerating: your therapy would be far, far more effective without leaks.  When an FFM is no option: what about taping?

The F30(i) is a fine mask, but rather difficult to adjust, kind of diva: you'll need a lot of patience until it will work. Maybe worth a try.

Mike

RE: New member, please help me interpret results - Computerdoc - 09-16-2020

Last night's data.  Despite the leaks, I've been feeling pretty good during the day.  Unfortunately it'll be another week or so before I get my P30i mask.  My order got messed up and they sent me an N30i.  I did get the Knightsbridge chin strap and will try that tonight.

[attachment=26625]

RE: New member, please help me interpret results - multicast - 09-17-2020

That chin strap may keep your mouth shut but it doesn't prevent necessarily mouth breathing.  Hopefully it'll work for you.

RE: New member, please help me interpret results - Computerdoc - 09-17-2020

Last night's data.  Chinstrip hot and itchy and I took it off after about an hour.  Reduced settings at that time to EPAP 7.0, PS 3.0 and Max pressure 15.  Replacement Aircurve machine and P30i mask being shipped today.  Washed the chinstrap to see if that will reduce the itchiness and will try it again tonight.  Pretty frustrated at my failed attempts to reduce leaks.

I have an appointment with my sleep doctor (pulmonologist) next week.  What OSCAR charts (if any) should I share with her?  After you've taken control of CPAP settings what is her role?

[attachment=26636]