Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Finally, SUCCESS after almost giving up on CPAP (retitled) - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Finally, SUCCESS after almost giving up on CPAP (retitled) (/Thread-Finally-SUCCESS-after-almost-giving-up-on-CPAP-retitled)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: New member, please help me interpret results - Computerdoc - 08-24-2020

Okey dokey.  I'll turn the ramp off for tonight and see how it goes.  Now that the minimum pressure is going to be 7, should my max pressure be higher than the 10 it is now?

RE: New member, please help me interpret results - OpalRose - 08-24-2020

Computerdoc,
I can understand as I look back when I first started and wondered how anyone can possibly breathe in air pressure of 4cm., and quickly discovered that the feeling I had was called being "air starved".  Once I started to move my minimum pressure up, it took very little time to adapt to it.

Try this:  Use your machine sitting up somewhere an hour before bed.  Turn off the ramp and use it at the higher pressure you just set.  You can watch TV or read a book to distract you from the pressure.  You would be surprised how fast the time goes by.

It doesn't look like your maximum pressure goes that high, so for now I would leave it at 7min and 10cm max.

RE: New member, please help me interpret results - Computerdoc - 08-24-2020

Thanks Will do!

RE: New member, please help me interpret results - Computerdoc - 08-25-2020

[attachment=25949]Last night:  tolerated no ramp and 7 minimum pressure pretty well.

RE: New member, please help me interpret results - staceyburke - 08-25-2020

Good how did you sleep - feel when you woke up? You need a higher low number raise to 8.  You also seem to have position problems. That is normally tucking your chin. Look at your chart, when you have several event very close together shows chin tucking. Some times you can stop that with side sleeping and sometimes a collar is needed. Try side sleeping first if you are already or don’t think you can look into a aft collar. At the top of the site look at wiki and search to read about it.

I feel pretty good, better than yesterday morning.  What do the charts show?  I prefer sleeping on my side, but my sleep study showed severe apneas during back sleeping.  I have ordered a soft cervical collar and will raise the minimum to 8.

RE: New member, please help me interpret results - staceyburke - 08-25-2020

Charts show chin tucking about 5 times with multiple events each time. Also to many H, why we raise to 7 but still to low - it might need even more but one step at a time. Hope you have another good night.

RE: New member, please help me interpret results - Sleeprider - 08-25-2020

As you can see the Philips does not do well at anticipating obstructive sleep events, and requires the minimum pressure to be optimized to prevent most events. I would judge that with a Resmed Autoset, your AHI would have been much less. The events remaining in your chart are hypopnea, RERA, Flow Limitation and obstructive apnea. As you become more comfortable with CPAP therapy, you will need to increase the minimum pressure gradually to "titrate" out these events. When you are ready, increase minimum pressure to 8.0. That will further reduce events. I suspect you will eventually require a higher minimum pressure than that, but we will increase slowly at a pace you tolerate until your event rate is acceptably and you are getting better sleep.

RE: New member, please help me interpret results - OpalRose - 08-25-2020

Glad your feeling better and it seems you tolerated the higher pressure well. But you will, as stated above need a higher pressure. Your graph is pretty much what we expected to see and is typical of the Respironics algorithm.

I’d be happy to switch to the Resmed Autoset but I got this Respironics machine in July 2017 and, as I understand it, Medicare will not pay for a replacement until I have had the Respironics for 5 years. My original machine failed last year just after the warranty had run out, and my DME gave me a “loaner” to keep me going, which I’m presently using.