Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Anyone on here not use humidifier? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Anyone on here not use humidifier? (/Thread-Anyone-on-here-not-use-humidifier)

Pages: 1 2

Anyone on here not use humidifier? - Davidacarrick - 09-03-2020

Anyone on here not use a humidifier and if so why?

RE: Anyone on here not use humidifier? - Big Guy - 09-03-2020

I tried not using mine a couple of nights some time back. The 1st night w/o, I woke up with a very dry mouth. Didn't think too much of it, and decided to try a 2nd night. Same result in the morning. 

So, I'm still using mine, but I don't turn the heat on to the hose. And, I leave my humidity control on auto.

RE: Anyone on here not use humidifier? - Crimson Nape - 09-03-2020

I started my therapy using the humidifier.  After a couple of years, I found that I needed it only during the winter, when the humidity is extremely low.   Now, it has been about 2-1/2 years since I last used it.

RE: Anyone on here not use humidifier? - dwd1249 - 09-03-2020

I got my Resmed in Dec 2015 with the side panel so I don't have to have the tank installed. Since then I've only used the humidifier a few times. The last time being last year when in the hospital getting me knee replacement. I found the ac drying my nose out. At home we never have the ac on at night.
It's whatever floats your boat.

RE: Anyone on here not use humidifier? - mesenteria - 09-04-2020

I read here that some people can't seem to get through a whole night's sleep without their reservoir running dry.  That's at least 150cc of water.  I fill my reservoir every four or five days, and my controls are set at their lowest possible limits that are not 'Off'.  Ambient room and outdoors humidity in the PNW of N. America runs an average of 55-60%, hence my ultra-low requirement for humidification of the night air.

Are you having problems, maybe some discomfort or congestion, rain-out inside the mask, or dry-mouth?

RE: Anyone on here not use humidifier? - sheepless - 09-04-2020

in 4 years I've tried a variety of humidity & hose temp settings, passive humidification (water in tank, heat & humidity off) and nothing at all. in all seasons. near as I can tell, no combination makes a difference one way or another. most mornings I have congestion, a runny nose & sneezing for an hour or so after removing the mask, no matter what. a few months ago I gave up. it doesn't even help my lip leak dry mouth. I'm in western pnw of the U.S. where it's wet in winter & dry in summer. air temps in the teens to low 100s. forced air electric heat pump for heating & cooling.

RE: Anyone on here not use humidifier? - stanleydean - 09-04-2020

Hey David,
To me using or not using the humidifier is mostly a matter of comfort. What seems to work best for me is a heat setting of 1 which uses somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of a reservoir full of water for a night's sleep. I use this setting year round.
Stan

RE: Anyone on here not use humidifier? - Canuck 2 - 09-04-2020

I like to use my humidifier in winter in Northern Alberta Canada because Atmospheric humidity drops below 35%, I can use my machine with out the humidifier on when I travel to Caribbean or near any large body of water because the humidity in the Atmosphere is above 60%- 65 % I find it not to be issue plus Just finding distilled water could be a issue in a foreign country . I find when I travel to Mexico I will wash all my hoses and mask parts when I get home right away because I can smell mildew when I get back to drier air and that is not using any water at all in the humidifier but just sleeping in a air conditioned room.

RE: Anyone on here not use humidifier? - jaswilliams - 09-04-2020

When I started I was not supplied a humidifier as I was issued a Resmed S9 Brick which had no humidifier I immediately upgraded to an Autoset 10 used the humidifier but I found I preferred cold air to warm moist air. So I used a side plate I then purchased my own S9 VPAP Adapt (ASV) as it was much cheaper used it had a humidifier but the smaller footprint without the humidifier was fine, its not particularly dry here in the UK so I don’t miss the humidifier

RE: Anyone on here not use humidifier? - cbikenj - 09-04-2020

I haven't used mine in years and have no issues.  I think it started as a test for me to see if it was necessary and I found that it didn't really make a difference to me.  Even when I travel I don't use it so it works fine for me no matter what the environment is like