Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New CPAP user, help with settings - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New CPAP user, help with settings (/Thread-New-CPAP-user-help-with-settings)

New CPAP user, help with settings - dompoblete - 09-14-2020

Hello,

I need some help adjusting the settings for my Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, i am 29 years old and been recently diagnosed with severe OSA. I had always had trouble with my snoring since i was younger but never actually came around to getting it checked. After my sleep study (attached results), i was recommended an auto cpap with 5-20 cmh20 which obviously led me to my machine listed above. 

It has been about 2 weeks now, and i am still having trouble find the right settings to work for me. I have been trying to increase my lowest pressure and trying to interpret the date myself but i dont entirely think i am doing this right... At this time, i am still getting above 10 AHI and working to lower to that. I would love to get all yall recommendations. Please let me know if there is anything if any additional data is needed.

Thank you!

RE: New CPAP user, help with settings - staceyburke - 09-14-2020

Welcome to the board. The experts on the board will be by to let you know what they see. I hope you can get those numbers down ASAP. I know this is hard to take in all of this!

RE: New CPAP user, help with settings - Gideon - 09-14-2020

Welcome to the forum,
and do you have a oximeter?  Your diagnostic test %showed 350 minutes below 88% and this level requires supplemental oxygen or other treatment to improve this.  CPAP will improve your oxygen levels but we want/need to verify this as it doesn't always.

Do you have a titration study?  it would show oxygen levels with a CPAP.

Your two daily graphs sho some different things.  We don't know if this is a trend or not but the higher pressure brings out central apneas in some, not all, people and you seem to be one of the lucky ones.
Your Flow limits are high and it would be nice if we can bring them down some.  These are best treated with Pressure Support or EPR.  This can also bring out central apneas.
So we are going to try and bring down your pressures and utilize EPR to treat flow limits, RERAs, hypopneas.

I suggest setting 
min Pressure = 10
EPR = 2, FullTime

Use overnight and repost.

Because your pre-CPAP O2 levels were consistently low I also suggest getting an OSCAR compatible pulse oximeter (see the oximetry wizard in OSCAR) To check your overnight oxygen levels.

RE: New CPAP user, help with settings - staceyburke - 09-14-2020

As far as an oxygen monitor you can get a cms 50f (you can down load to Oscar) from Amazon for about 100 or eBay for about 80. I had mine for about 2 months and it works well.

RE: New CPAP user, help with settings - dompoblete - 09-17-2020

(09-14-2020, 05:50 PM)bonjour Wrote: Welcome to the forum,
and do you have a oximeter?  Your diagnostic test %showed 350 minutes below 88% and this level requires supplemental oxygen or other treatment to improve this.  CPAP will improve your oxygen levels but we want/need to verify this as it doesn't always.

Do you have a titration study?  it would show oxygen levels with a CPAP.

Your two daily graphs sho some different things.  We don't know if this is a trend or not but the higher pressure brings out central apneas in some, not all, people and you seem to be one of the lucky ones.
Your Flow limits are high and it would be nice if we can bring them down some.  These are best treated with Pressure Support or EPR.  This can also bring out central apneas.
So we are going to try and bring down your pressures and utilize EPR to treat flow limits, RERAs, hypopneas.

I suggest setting 
min Pressure = 10
EPR = 2, FullTime

Use overnight and repost.

Because your pre-CPAP O2 levels were consistently low I also suggest getting an OSCAR compatible pulse oximeter (see the oximetry wizard in OSCAR) To check your overnight oxygen levels.

Thank you all for your suggestions, i'll look into getting a oximeter. Thanks staceyburke for your recommendation.

I went ahead and popped the suggested settings. See attached.

RE: New CPAP user, help with settings - Gideon - 09-17-2020

You are showing a lot of chin tucking here, you showed hints of it before but only hints. This must be beat before we can address other issues. Read the Soft Cervical Collar link in my signature.