Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New to nose breathing when using CPAP - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New to nose breathing when using CPAP (/Thread-New-to-nose-breathing-when-using-CPAP)

New to nose breathing when using CPAP - Sleepless D - 09-20-2020

After years and years of mouth breathing due to nasal airway block I am finally able to breath through my nose after a successful operation of my Nasal concha.
I read many articles saying that nose breathing is more healthy and relaxing. My CPAP they said would even be more effective if I'll start to practice nose breathing.
Today my beloved Bulldog decided to chew my full face mask and I have no choice but to adopt nose breathing.
I found it to be very confusing. Am I supposed to both inhale and exhale via my nose ? Is my mouth supposed to be closed ? I find it hard to close my mouth as the incoming pressure causes my mouth to open. Please share your knowledge  Smile ...

RE: New to nose breathing when using CPAP - Melman - 09-20-2020

You need to breath in and out through your nose only. If you inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth the therapy will not be effective without a full face mask. Some are able to prevent breathing through their mouths by sucking their tongue up against their palate. That doesn't work for me. A chin strap works for some. Again not for me. The most reliable method seems to be taping the lips. I'm sure someone will respond with taping recommendations. I'm not comfortable with taping so I use a full face mask. My AHI is normally about 0.5 so I don't believe mouth breathing makes the therapy less effective.

RE: New to nose breathing when using CPAP - DaveL - 09-24-2020

Welcome to the forum!

I've had wonderful dogs for many years! My Golden female had an obsession over toilet paper rolls. She would take the cardboard core and eat it. Thank heaven I didn't have to worry about intestinal blockage. (A neighbour's labrador retriever used to eat socks. Lab had two operations for intestinal blockage.

About therapy: the air is under pressure and it keeps our airways open. If we open our mouths using a nasal mask the therapy doesn't work. the air goes out through our mouth. I choose to use a strap. Others use tape. Sleep docs say full face masks, but I'm claustrophobic.

Suggestion: find a way to try masks, or read users' reviews to see how others like them. One mask won't fit everyone. I found a DME that allows me to try masks before I buy. They'll loan me a mask for a week. I go in prepared after reading reviews, and ask them "what's new in masks?" And if my mask is working for me, I buy the same one. After all, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

RE: New to nose breathing when using CPAP - Cpapian - 09-24-2020

You might find some helpful information on Dr. Steven Parks website.  He is an ENT.  I recall he had an article on nose breathing. 

Yes you breathe in and out through your nose.  And yes, you need to keep your mouth closed.  Teeth should be close, but not clenched. 

To prevent air entering your mouth put your tongue at the top behind the ridge, against your soft palate.   To check if you got it right,  open your mouth with mask and machine on.  If no air escapes,  you are good to go.   If not, play with the location a bit .... everyone is a little different.   To be effective,  you have to make it a habit 24/7.  So practice during the day and every time you wake up at night.   This position opens up the pathway,  so to speak. 

Taping can help while you are getting used to it.  When I tape, I use the 3m sensitive tape that is blue, and make a tab for quick removal in an emergency.   I wouldn't recommend taping if you are likely to vomit.

Chin straps can be helpful for some,  but the downside is they can push the jaw into the neck.

RE: New to nose breathing when using CPAP - DaveL - 09-24-2020

(09-24-2020, 01:03 PM)Cpapian Wrote: You might find some helpful information on Dr. Steven Parks website.  He is an ENT.  I recall he had an article on nose breathing. 

Yes you breathe in and out through your nose.  And yes, you need to keep your mouth closed.  Teeth should be close, but not clenched. 

To prevent air entering your mouth put your tongue at the top behind the ridge, against your soft palate.   To check if you got it right,  open your mouth with mask and machine on.  If no air escapes,  you are good to go.   If not, play with the location a bit .... everyone is a little different.   To be effective,  you have to make it a habit 24/7.  So practice during the day and every time you wake up at night.   This position opens up the pathway,  so to speak. 

Taping can help while you are getting used to it.  When I tape, I use the 3m sensitive tape that is blue, and make a tab for quick removal in an emergency.   I wouldn't recommend taping if you are likely to vomit.

Chin straps can be helpful for some,  but the downside is they can push the jaw into the neck.

The Knightsbridge dual strap was designed to overcome that. I've had good results with mine. (just trying to help.)