Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Monitoring data wirelessly - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Software Support Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Software-Support-Forum)
+--- Thread: Monitoring data wirelessly (/Thread-Monitoring-data-wirelessly)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: Monitoring data wirelessly - Dog Slobber - 11-06-2020

It sounds to me like you 2.4 network is heavily congested. Devices like the FlashAir are more susceptible to congestion because of their low power and small antennas.

Some things to try:
In your router's WiFi (2.4 Ghz) setup, ensure the Channel Bandwidth is set to 20 and not 40. A narrower bandwidth will get more packets through with less chance of interference from neigbring channels.

Take your Channel off of Auto and manually set it to 1, 6 or 11.  The two edge channels are preferable because there is less chance of their being neighbouring 2.4 WiFi devices.

To see if 1, 6, or 11 is preferable, set your channel to one of them, issue a few ping commands and note your success rate. Then repeat.

If your router has a Transmit Power setting, increase it to 100%
If your router has a Guest Network, turn it off, all that does is contribute to more congestion.

Bluetooth Devices and some Wireless Phones also use the 2.4 GHz frequency, so note if you have any Bluetooth speakers or other devices and turn them off.

RE: Monitoring data wirelessly - Crimson Nape - 11-06-2020

Dog Slobber makes some good points. The FlashAir will only operate on a 20Mhz bandwidth. A nearby Bluetooth device will kill the FlashAir's connection. I learned this the hard way when I tried connecting my cellphone to my oximeter while sitting next to my CPAP. Also, a lot of people now keep their Bluetooth turned on so it will sync with their vehicle's system. They then have it next to their bed at night.

RE: Monitoring data wirelessly - happydreams - 11-06-2020

Another possibility is someone else has a smart router and changed their channels to maximize their connectivity. Too bad if that interferes with you. It seems to happen to me several times per year. Basically I had to do the same thing, (search for clear channels) and my connectivity problems go away (for a while). This was for my network as a whole.

RE: Monitoring data wirelessly - Jeff8356 - 11-06-2020

If you have a laptop with WiFi available you could use an app like NetSpot or inSSIDer to do a survey of your WiFi environment. Will show you which channels are being used and how strong the signal is. Could help narrow down any offending wifi networks, either yours or a neighbors.
I believe they both still have free trials.

RE: Monitoring data wirelessly - Crimson Nape - 11-06-2020

There is a free app for Android (and probably iPhones) named "Wifi Analyzer" that I use for aiming antennas and looking at the airwave/channel loads. You can set it to monitor either 2.4 or 5Ghz signals. If you decide to use it, select the "Channel Graph" view. It will display the SSID, signal strength, channel number, and bandwidth of all area signals.

I hope this might help.

RE: Monitoring data wirelessly - MCS2014 - 11-07-2020

(11-06-2020, 08:51 AM)Dog Slobber Wrote: It sounds to me like you 2.4 network is heavily congested. Devices like the FlashAir are more susceptible to congestion because of their low power and small antennas.

Some things to try:
In your router's WiFi (2.4 Ghz) setup, ensure the Channel Bandwidth is set to 20 and not 40. A narrower bandwidth will get more packets through with less chance of interference from neigbring channels.

Take your Channel off of Auto and manually set it to 1, 6 or 11.  The two edge channels are preferable because there is less chance of their being neighbouring 2.4 WiFi devices.

To see if 1, 6, or 11 is preferable, set your channel to one of them, issue a few ping commands and note your success rate. Then repeat.

If your router has a Transmit Power setting, increase it to 100%
If your router has a Guest Network, turn it off, all that does is contribute to more congestion.

Bluetooth Devices and some Wireless Phones also use the 2.4 GHz frequency, so note if you have any Bluetooth speakers or other devices and turn them off.

Again, am unable to login to from my IP address 192.168.0.250. Just hangs.

RE: Monitoring data wirelessly - Jeff8356 - 11-07-2020

Something to try....
Unplug your xPAP and move it closer the your WiFi access point. Plug it back in and wait a few minutes. Then see if you can connect to your xPAP again.
It sounds like you are getting way too much interference which is cutting down the ability of your FlashPap to reach your WAP. It doesn't take much to make a signal unusable.

RE: Monitoring data wirelessly - Crimson Nape - 11-07-2020

If I recall correctly, a member from "Down Under" experienced the same problem a few years ago. He solved his connection problem by using an SD extender cable. The cable is somewhat ugly looking thing, using a ribbon cable, about 3 feet (1 m) long, and has an SD card male on one end and card slot on the other.

RE: Monitoring data wirelessly - SarcasticDave94 - 11-08-2020

SD extender cable, something like this?

[Image: stDAjTt.jpg?1]

RE: Monitoring data wirelessly - Sheepish - 11-08-2020

That's the thing. If you Google it, you'll find it widely available for starting at around six bucks.