Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
ResMed AirSense 10 Question - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: ResMed AirSense 10 Question (/Thread-ResMed-AirSense-10-Question--30464)

Pages: 1 2

ResMed AirSense 10 Question - sleepwreak - 09-24-2020

Hi,

I recently got a new Air Sense 10 machine.  I don't use the humidifier and I was told that it would be better if I purchased a side panel to replace the water reservoir. One person said since they started using the side panel they sleep better and have lower AHI. Is there validity to this? Could the side panel make a difference?

Thanks

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Question - Crimson Nape - 09-24-2020

It is defiantly quieter with the side plate. As far as sleeping better and a lower AHI, that is totally dependent on the person.

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Question - sheepless - 09-24-2020

a great question I've never seen addressed and I don't know the answer to. intuitively, I can't imagine why the cover would make a difference other than possibly raising pressure slightly, which can more simply and accurately be accomplished by adjusting settings. I usually leave my humidifier empty and am always looking for ways to improve my therapy so I'll be watching for better replies than mine!

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Question - Bobaloo - 09-24-2020

(09-24-2020, 04:30 PM)sheepless Wrote: a great question I've never seen addressed and I don't know the answer to.  intuitively, I can't imagine why the cover would make a difference other than possibly raising pressure slightly, which can more simply and accurately be accomplished by adjusting settings. I usually leave my humidifier empty and am always looking for ways to improve my therapy so I'll be watching for better replies than mine!

Is there a reason you do not use your humidifier? Comfort or convenience?

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Question - Big Guy - 09-24-2020

I have the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet and tried using it w/o the humidifier. My sleep wasn't nearly as good. I do have the side plate, as I purchased it when I first started my SA Therapy. I've never used it though, so I can't say if my machine is any quieter. I can say though, my machine is literally dead silent even when using the humidifier.

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Question - staceyburke - 09-24-2020

I would say the same thing - almost silent only sound is the mask and that is with or without water in the tank.

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Question - Bobaloo - 09-24-2020

(09-24-2020, 05:29 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I have the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet and tried using it w/o the humidifier. My sleep wasn't nearly as good. I do have the side plate, as I purchased it when I first started my SA Therapy. I've never used it though, so I can't say if my machine is any quieter. I can say though, my machine is literally dead silent even when using the humidifier.

My ResMed S10 is extremely quiet as well. I started with a new Phillips DreamStation. The DS was annoyingly loud. Basically, loud whooshing air movement noises. It was hard to go to sleep. With my current still new ResMed I often wake up in the middle of the night and wonder if the AutoSet accidentally turned off! Even when my max pressure is near 12 cm of H20! With the DreamStation, both low and high pressures were associated with loud cycling air pump swooshing noises. Hated it. So glad I switched to a ResMed after a week! You can't just go by the supposed manufacturer sound level decibel ratings. Based on the data, both machines should be similar for noise levels. Not.

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Question - sheepless - 09-24-2020

"Is there a reason you do not use your humidifier? Comfort or convenience?"

I'd use it if I could figure out how to make it effective for me, but I've never been able to discern a difference between no water, passive humidification (water without heat) and water at various settings. with and without various hose temp settings. I don't feel like my nose and sinuses dry out without humidification so I don't really feel the need in that regard, but I often have congestion, sneezing, runny nose for an hour or 2 in the morning no matter what combination / variation I try. I could handle having to alter settings season by season, but I don't even get discernable and consistent results day to day in a given season.

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Question - sleepwreak - 09-25-2020

(09-24-2020, 05:29 PM)Bobaloo Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 04:30 PM)sheepless Wrote: a great question I've never seen addressed and I don't know the answer to.  intuitively, I can't imagine why the cover would make a difference other than possibly raising pressure slightly, which can more simply and accurately be accomplished by adjusting settings. I usually leave my humidifier empty and am always looking for ways to improve my therapy so I'll be watching for better replies than mine!

Is there a reason you do not use your humidifier? Comfort or convenience?

I always thought that most everyone used the humidifier so I continued using it for many years. I discovered that I really didn't need the humidifier after camping trips - I don't use it to conserve battery power. I always thought my dry throat was related to not having the humidifier on, but I really believe that the most important change I have made was taping my lips. This has improved my mask leak numbers and also has helped with my nightmares and dry throat. Before taping I would frequently wake up with a feeling that I actually died. 

Anyway thanks everyone for the replies.

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Question - sheepless - 09-25-2020

dry mouth & throat from mouth leaks & mouth breathing feels awful. I've seen humidity recommended to compensate & it probably helps some but it doesn't help mine. solutions to dry mouth can be elusive but necessary.