Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
nasal vs full face mask - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: nasal vs full face mask (/Thread-nasal-vs-full-face-mask)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: nasal vs full face mask - staceyburke - 10-05-2020

A dry mouth usually shows mouth breathing or at least air rushing out of the mouth. Here is a mask primer that the site has that may help... http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer

The main thing we tried to do with the adjustments was to stop some of the centrals and you did much better than the night before. You got more hypopnea (H) events. The way to try to fix that is adding to the EPR BUT we just decreased it to help with the centrals. So for a few days I would suggest to leave it and work on leaks to help bring them down.

RE: nasal vs full face mask - cpapnovice - 10-06-2020

tried to sleep on a back

RE: nasal vs full face mask - staceyburke - 10-06-2020

Your centrals are way up again.  I don't think sleep position would change that.  A lot of them were in the first few minutes of sleep.  When you use the ramp it is not at pressure for the ramp time so no therapy is happening.  How long do you have your ramp on?  I would take the down as far as possible (eliminate if you can).  And lower the EPR by 1. (I believe it is at 2 now).  Raise the min just a little from 9.6 to 10.

So
eliminate ramp if possible
EPR=1
Min=10 

Your leaks were better but still not good.  What is the name of the mask you are using?  If you can put a picture of it please do.  We need to find a way to get this under control.

how do you know centrals are in the beginning? it takes me 30-45 minutes to fall asleep

That is what I am saying about the ramp.  If it is on during that time you are not getting therapy. And it could just be you rolling around during that time and holding your own breath.

Let me try to explain the difference of central and other apnea. A central happens when there is no physical reason to stop breathing. We pause breathing all the time awake or asleep. To be classified as a central the machine sends a number of small bursts of air and if nothing is held up for 10 seconds it is a central or no physical blockage. obviously there can be mistakes in reporting. An obstruction can be opened with an increase in pressure while a central there is NO blockage so an increase in pressure will not help. centrals are common for people that have just started therapy because the body is adjusting to a machine blowing air into the lungs. If you had a huge amount of centrals (AND YOU DON'T) a different type of pap machine has to be used - cpap can not help centrals. It seems that most people do better with centrals when there is LESS variation in pressure so we try to lessen the EPR and the raise the min to make the variation less.

Once the centrals calm down the EPR is raised so that you do not have as much pressure on the exhale and is more comfortable to breath. So right now we are trying to cut down on the centrals by lowing the EPR (we still have a possibility of going down to 0 next time) and improving the leaks to cut down on the other appneas and flow limits you are having.

this makes sense. i feel during ramp time, i just not getting enough air. so off it goes

RE: nasal vs full face mask - cpapnovice - 10-07-2020

i dont remeber taking mask off but i woke up without  it

RE: nasal vs full face mask - staceyburke - 10-07-2020

Really looks pretty good.  The first CA and H happened during the very first part of sleep.  It looks like you had the ramp on - I won't count those.  So you only had 3 H events like I said Not bat at all.  I hope they will continue to go down as you get more accustomed to using your cpap.  It looks like you had your mask on until 3:40 then it came off.  Again not bad - no events but take a look at the  flow rate - you were not getting as much oxygen as you should.  Did you wake up with a little headache?  If so that is probably why.   Also look around 1:20 on the flow rate and you can see the other large leak that probably caused one CA and maybe the H near it.

I asked last time about what mask you were using (name and type).  Could you let me know?  On your left panel it shows a full face mask and in one of your posts it was a nasal mask.

How are you feeling - any better?  You have less events so I hope so but you have been having sleep problems for some time or you would not be on Cpap and it takes a while to feel better.  It is not like turning on a switch and you feel better.  It more like you notice you are not falling asleep while watching tv or you don't need the extra cup of coffee in the afternoon to make it.  Then you suddenly realize I'm feeling better.

I suggest we keep it the same setting and continue with working on the mask leaks.  Did the mask primer link I gave you help at all?

RE: nasal vs full face mask - cpapnovice - 10-07-2020

i had ramp off and for the first time i felt i was not starving for oxygen. i use resmed nasal mask n30i . i wake up with headache. I did not get a chance to read mask primer. Mask leaks must be caused by me turning a lot. should i should start taping mask to my face? i have some good tape that will not be difficult to remove. i know it is long process and not feeling sleepy in afternoon is my main marker of success. so far it is rare.