Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
A warning..a Wolf in ASV Clothing?? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: A warning..a Wolf in ASV Clothing?? (/Thread-A-warning-a-Wolf-in-ASV-Clothing)

A warning..a Wolf in ASV Clothing?? - racprops - 09-30-2020

The reason for all of this is my believed System One 950 ASV was the subject of what I thought was a failure of air volume or flow.

I replaced it with my backup 960 and then when I was told the parts are no longer available to repair them got a Dreamstation ASV.

Using the new Dreamstation made me question my calling it a failed unit so I took in to Beth at Medical Repair Systems for a full testing so if it passed I could offer it to someone whom need it.

Beth of Medical Repair Systems called today (9/30/2020)  and said my PR System One 950 ASV is NOT a 950 ASV.

She reports that the PR Software was not able to ID it, that it reported it is NOT ASV machine and could not ID it and then the software killed it.

Well it is still running and she said the test wiped all my settings…YET they are still there.

She said at one point it IDed it as a BiPap machine, not an ASV.

Yet at one point she saw all the settings and it read as ASV as a BiPap does not have all those settings.

I now know she wrote all my settings down so after the software wiped it she could put them all back….so that is how she saw an ASV set of settings…

Her best guess is it has a BiPap board reprogrammed to run as a ASV. I am not sure she did any tests…It still runs so was not killed by the software nor did said testing software wipe the old settings....

I bought this unit from an ex-PR service tech whom said it was fully rebuilt ASV machine with a new motherboard and Fan for the cost of said rebuilding: $250.00, and ran it as a ASV for some 4000 hours with no problem until the end.

So in the hope for finding some proof I removed the top cover in the hope there would be an ID marking which motherboard is in the unit.

BUT Phillips does NOT give any model number or any ID I could find on the top of the mother board so I could not ID it.

And Phillips BiPAP machine does have the two smaller buttons on top so it could be possible to upgrade a bipap to an ASV…

I suspect they used the same motherboard just program which system they want into the board and then place the label for that program.

I suspect that tech did that on a lesser board to repair a bad ASV board.

I have been told: “It is possible, with the correct equipment to reflash CPAPs. I haven't heard it happening on PR machines.”

BiPAP AVAPS, BiPAP S/T, and BiPAP autoSV Advanced System One are all covered in one manual.

I don't know what I have... so without farther testing may never know.

Rich

RE: A warning..a Wolf in ASV Clothing?? - Sleeprider - 09-30-2020

When Covid-19 hit, there were a number of people publishing hacks to convert CPAP machines to ventilators. The Airbreak project was a notable success, but seems to have gone away. You can find discussions of this in the Covid-19 forum if you have access, or just search the Airbreak project. I was not aware of a Philips hack, but it makes sense that the hardware is mostly the same in those devices and functionality is also in firmware.

RE: A warning..a Wolf in ASV Clothing?? - racprops - 09-30-2020

Well in this case it seems the tech had a BiPAP board and programed it as a ASV board...The case IS a 950 ASV case.

So at a cost of $250.00 and use of some 4000 hours that means my cost per hour was $.0625, not bad.

But with the machine I get a window in OACAR about odd readings and the service software seems unable to ID it.

Do we here have a real friendly service person whom will be willing to see if we can figure out what is going on with this machine??

I am not in any hurry to put any more money into it.

Even postage is almost too much....

Rich

RE: A warning..a Wolf in ASV Clothing?? - Sleeprider - 09-30-2020

I think you answered your own question. If the answer is not even worth the cost of shipping to you, then few if anyone is going to spend any time on a one-off machine with undocumented changes.

RE: A warning..a Wolf in ASV Clothing?? - racprops - 10-01-2020

A confusing update.

I am at a loss to explain what happened with Beth at Medical Repair Systems.

Beth claimed: Her software could not run any tests on the machine, she claimed the software had wiped the settings, and that it in a number of try’s A) read a BiPAP system, and B) then killed the system, that it was dead and could not even be turned on any more.

All she said seems to not be true. It powers up fine. It runs fine. My own settings were still there. I played with the settings and all seems great.

IN FACT the problem that I condemned it for: low to almost no air volume/flow is gone and it is blowing normal air volume/flow.

From all my exspearances with these machines, especially with my new Dreamstation, I am becoming to believe these machines need to be rebooted often perhaps daily.

So what happened??

I think it is one of those things, perhaps on power up here the 950 reset its self, making what she said she found look like a mistake or fib, perhaps a problem with the interface between the machine and her computer.

Or for some reason she did not want to test the machine because I said I was planning on selling it to someone and she did not want to stand behind the report that it is certified by her.

OR lastly it is as she said, perhaps a reprogrammed BiPAP board to run as a ASV machine.

It seems Phillips uses the same board and case for three model systems but if so there should be no difference other than the programming and the label on the bottom of the case….

Then the system should not have any problem running any of the three programs, I can only think of two possibilities of what happened, 1) there is a different board used for each program, and even when re-programed it “tells” of the board original intended use. 2) the wipe was incomplete and a piece of the original program remains so the reader “see” both programs.

How did this happen??

By accident: These boards look the same, the tech may have used what he though was a true ASV board which was in fact a BiPAP board, and when it allowed being programed as a ASV confirmed it.

BUT he should have then run the full tests to confirm it was running correctly to certify it and he should have run into the same problem Beth run into…??

I do not know if these boards come preprogrammed or are loaded when they are installed?? If loaded when installed then if the test programed is run at the same time it could test and certify it right then without an opening test system that would see the problem..

OR it was done as a cheat, a way to use an on hand board in an ASV case to then sell it…but for only $250.00?? None the less he should have to know what he was doing.

I am looking into have a different shop run the testing, as it seems to be fully working I really need to know before I use it again of offer it to anyone.

Rich