Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
How do you treat your humidifier? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: How do you treat your humidifier? (/Thread-How-do-you-treat-your-humidifier)

Pages: 1 2 3

How do you treat your humidifier? - Rcgop - 10-21-2020

I use distilled water only, empty, let dry, and refill before going to bed. 
After five years, my humidifier looks like new and I am considering just adding as needed.

RE: How do you treat your humidifier? - DotLove - 10-21-2020

(10-21-2020, 11:08 AM)Rcgop Wrote: I use distilled water only, empty, let dry, and refill before going to bed. 
After five years, my humidifier looks like new and I am considering just adding as needed.

Well said!

RE: How do you treat your humidifier? - Jeff8356 - 10-21-2020

Distilled for 2 days, empty, air dry, refill. Repeat.

RE: How do you treat your humidifier? - Big Guy - 10-21-2020

I started out using distilled water, and kept at it for about 6 months or so. I got tired of having to make sure I had it on hand. 

I started using regular tap water and have been ever since. I empty the reservoir each & every morning, wipe it dry with tissue, and then allow it to further air dry before inserting it back into my machine. 

Once in a while, some mineral deposits will begin to accumulate. When that does happen, a bit of white vinegar takes care of that problem. No fuss.....no muss. 

It's now over two years old and still looks / functions like new. I have new reservoirs on hand, as my DME supplier keeps sending them to me. 

I don't see any need to replace my reservoir anytime soon.

RE: How do you treat your humidifier? - OpalRose - 10-21-2020

Distilled, empty daily, refill.

RE: How do you treat your humidifier? - Sleeprider - 10-21-2020

New tap water daily, sometimes empty and dry, sometimes I forget. Occasional cleaning with hydrogen peroxide.

RE: How do you treat your humidifier? - SarcasticDave94 - 10-21-2020

Mostly it's empty and refill when I used mine last. I did originally use distilled only, but decided the added step of purchasing at the store wasn't worth it.

RE: How do you treat your humidifier? - Big Guy - 10-21-2020

Although we aren't financially strapped, I take the money I save from NOT buying distilled water, and use it for gas money for my m/c. 

Sometimes, I'll even use it for lunch while out and on a ride.  Big Grin

RE: How do you treat your humidifier? - Glen e - 10-21-2020

I bought a distiller off Amazon as I need it for my 2 humidifiers too. Works great, does a gallon every 4 hours.

[Commercial Link Removed] Search Amazon for, CO-Z Water Distiller

-----
Moderator Action: Commercial Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----

RE: How do you treat your humidifier? - sheepless - 10-21-2020

top off with distilled water for passive humidification when I think about it. run dry when I don't. wash the chamber maybe once in 2 months. I am congested with a runny nose for a couple hours every morning no matter what humidity & hose temp settings I've tried. no difference from when I used to wash everything every 3 days. I bought one new & 2 used machines in 4 years & have never replaced a chamber. one used one came with calcium deposits that I couldn't completely remove but it works same as the 'clean' ones. the only problem I've had is occasional whistling when the one bought new isn't seated just so.