Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
leak problem solved! - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: leak problem solved! (/Thread-leak-problem-solved)

Pages: 1 2

leak problem solved! - Karlin - 10-29-2020

After I got my ASV machine I was having a terrible time with leaks. Oscar reported "large leaks" occurring 50-70% of the time. This of course made noise, annoyed my wife, and reduced the effectiveness of the therapy. I solved the problem with a "triple play." Each night at bedtime I clean the cushion, shave, and wash my face, not necessarily in that order. When I do all three, large leaks are completely gone. It's amazing. I'm sure this won't solve everybody's leak problem, but it did for me, and I thought I should share it. Some people will say, "Why weren't you doing this all along?," and that is a reasonable question. All I can say is that I wasn't.

RE: leak problem solved! - OpalRose - 10-29-2020

Thanks for sharing! Sometimes it's just simple steps that make a difference.

RE: leak problem solved! - Big Guy - 10-29-2020

I shower and shave every night. I clean my mask (ResMed AirFit F30) about every 3rd or 4th night. I still get leaks. My AHI #'s are still very good though.

RE: leak problem solved! - Glen e - 10-31-2020

Yup, I do a quick shave with an electric every night, clean cushion daily....

RE: leak problem solved! - hegel - 10-31-2020

I recently grew back my goatee. Started having leaks. I adjusted the straps, every one, starting from the top and working down. Leaks seem solved! P30 mask.

I clean my mask daily with a soapy wash (best) or baby wipes.

RE: leak problem solved! - Sleeprider - 10-31-2020

What a simple and great solution! Thanks for sharing.

RE: leak problem solved! - Karlin - 11-01-2020

Here is an update on my story. I was doing well on leaks and AHI and thought perhaps I could make everything more comfortable my loosening the mask a bit. Big mistake! Leaks soared again until I tightened up the straps.

RE: leak problem solved! - DaveL - 11-05-2020

Fascinating post! Thank you.

This experiment in life, treatment for OSA, is challenging.

On mask leakage, Years ago I worked for Atomic Energy of Canada, Chalk River Canada. Just a summer job. I was in the active area daily. So they tested mask fit with some wonderful additive they could measure. Some isotope...? They required us all to be clean shaven, just in case.

I know that I'm lazy with mask cleaning. Now I know I see I should change shaving schedules and more!

I'm finally accepting advice given to me here, to consider how I feel. And not be too concerned about numbers, because I've obsessed on those. That's provided major benefits for me. The bumps and jumps in leakage rate, and even treatment time give me lots to review and change. Confession--it affected me.

RE: leak problem solved! - SarcasticDave94 - 11-05-2020

Congrats on the win via the razor.

RE: leak problem solved! - SevereApnea - 11-08-2020

Thanks Karlin

Great tip.

I have been doing this with F30i lately and find it helps!
Clean shaven> wash and dry face > use wipes to clean the FFM silicone.
Somehow sticks better to the face.

Works great!

My problem: I have a greasy skin.
Previous recommendations by my Sleep Techs etc to use Amolin cream to FFM didn't help: the cream mixes with my facial grease and becomes a big slippery mess! 

When I follow your advice I can go up to 4 hours, then when I get up I just follow the same steps!