Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[split] ResMed AirSense 10 Humidifier Tank Problems - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [split] ResMed AirSense 10 Humidifier Tank Problems (/Thread-split-ResMed-AirSense-10-Humidifier-Tank-Problems)

Pages: 1 2

[split] ResMed AirSense 10 Humidifier Tank Problems - jaswilliams - 11-04-2020

Moderator Note:
This thread is a split of the, "ResMed AirSense 10 Disassembly and Modem Removal Thread.  

(11-03-2020, 08:24 PM)Pat.Bee Wrote: Lately, I have been finding moisture/condensation(?) on the bottom of the water tank every morning that I need to wipe dry. I only fill the tank half way and am careful not to spill. So I am hoping this tear down will somehow magically resolve this problem too.  Will let you know after I use it tonite.

Pat, humidifier tubs are known to develop leaks if your getting moisture under the tub after use I would grab a replacement.

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Disassembly and Modem Removal - DaveL - 11-04-2020

(11-03-2020, 08:24 PM)Pat.Bee Wrote: Dear Farnsy,
Thank you so much for your film. I am fairly unhandy but your film and tips  made this totally do-able.
I disconnected the modem and completely cleaned (& disinfected as much as possible) the whole thing. Something I would never have attempted without your film and advice. The only investment I had to make was buying a torx 10 screwdriver. Your advice to take photos every step of the disassembly was invaluable.  
I was so relieved that it actually worked after I put it back together. Thanks to you I have a clean fresh machine and it now seems to run quieter too.
Lately, I have been finding moisture/condensation(?) on the bottom of the water tank every morning that I need to wipe dry. I only fill the tank half way and am careful not to spill. So I am hoping this tear down will somehow magically resolve this problem too.  Will let you know after I use it tonite.

edit:  please see post No 26 11 for a photo of both types of chambers...

Check your humidifier. If it has a whitish plastic strip on top it has the aluminum water tank.  It will leak after a while if you don't use distilled water.
There's another tank with a dark strip on top.  It comes apart, may be cleaned in the dishwasher, and you don't need to use distilled water. It lasts longer.

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Disassembly and Modem Removal - Pat.Bee - 11-04-2020

"Check your humidifier. If it has a whitish plastic strip on top it has the aluminum water tank.  It will leak after a while if you don't use distilled water.
There's another tank with a dark strip on top.  It comes apart, may be cleaned in the dishwasher, and you don't need to use distilled water. It lasts longer."
Dave & Jas, thank you for the tip. I always used distilled water and it appears I do have the white-strip aluminum water tank. Dang. I know it's less than 3 months old but I guess I'm going to have to spring for a new one. I'll make sure to get the dark strip, take-apart one next. Thanks again for the heads up.

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Disassembly and Modem Removal - Sleeprider - 11-04-2020

By "white strip" are you referring to the tab above the latch? I have a half dozen of these things, and they all come apart ate the hinge. They do seem to eventually fail by having some water between the plastic case and aluminum. I don't think tap or distilled water will make a difference, and can't imagine how that would affect the seal. The thermal expansion of aluminum is much greater than stainless steel (0.000014 vs 0.000006 in/degree F).

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Disassembly and Modem Removal - Big Guy - 11-04-2020

I've been using tap water in my ResMed water reservoir for well over 18 months now. No leaks at all. I can't see how using distilled water in it would make any difference in regards to it's serviceability / longevity. It has an aluminum bottom. The lid on mine also comes off.

Murphy's Law: Whatever comes apart easily, will go back together 4X as hard.  Bigwink

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Disassembly and Modem Removal - DaveL - 11-05-2020

I had holes in the last reservoir I bought for my S9 after 6 months of use....I bought the cheap one. Not the stainless steel one.  my DME confirmed it was because I was using city water--not distilled.

I bought my S10 "for her" recently.  It came with the humidifier. The DME sold one to me with the aluminum chamber. It's labelled "distilled water only" if i remember correctly.  Looking down on the top of the reservoir it has a "whitish" light coloured plastic piece. I think it's to make it easier to pull the reservoir out of the machine...

If I can figure out how to add photos here, I'll snap a photo of the two of them side-by-each so you can see the difference.

So...I bought the better reservoir from one of the suppliers here. It was half price! (YES!!).  I've decided I'm not going to truck bottles of distilled water out of the local grocery store during these times. I'm staying away if I can. (74 years old--less exposure is good!) I'm using city water with my new S10 humidifier reservoir.

please see post no 24 11 for photo of both types or reservoirs.

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Disassembly and Modem Removal - DaveL - 11-05-2020

(11-04-2020, 05:01 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I've been using tap water in my ResMed water reservoir for well over 18 months now. No leaks at all. I can't see how using distilled water in it would make any difference in regards to it's serviceability / longevity. It has an aluminum bottom. The lid on mine also comes off.

Murphy's Law: Whatever comes apart easily, will go back together 4X as hard.  Bigwink

Hi Big Guy

Glad you're not having problems. Don't change a thing! As an engineer I used to work all over southwestern ontario for the guvmint.  Water quality is different everywhere you go. 

I bought a stainless chamber for my S10 so I wouldn't have to buy distilled water at the grocery store.

please see post #24 11 for a photo

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Disassembly and Modem Removal - Big Guy - 11-05-2020

I got the impression that the manufacturer's call for using distilled water in their CPAP machines, as a way to minimize any hard water deposits left behind, by not dumping out the water each morning and then wiping the inside dry. 

They know that most people are lazy and won't empty / clean the reservoir as often as they should. 

Anyways......that's the impression I got and I'm sticking to it.  Wink

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Disassembly and Modem Removal - jaswilliams - 11-05-2020

Its only the Resmed manuals for the US that state to use Distilled Water. The manuals for EU/UK state use water. The only reason to use distilled water is as Big Guy says to save the hassle of cleaning the humidifier tank.

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Disassembly and Modem Removal - DaveL - 11-06-2020

(11-05-2020, 04:27 PM)jaswilliams Wrote: Its only the Resmed manuals for the US that state to use Distilled Water. The manuals for EU/UK state use water. The only reason to use distilled water is as Big Guy says to save the hassle of cleaning the humidifier tank.

Going back...the last time I purchased a replacement reservoir for my S9 E I bought the aluminum chamber to save money. 
About 6 months later it started to leak.  I had pinhole leaks then...when I woke up there were drops of water under the reservoir.  I made sure that I always put it in completely dry.

My DME reported that city water--chlorinated water-- would cause the chamber to leak.  Word of mouth--their advice.

So--after I bought my S10 "for her" I bought the better chamber so I could use city water.

Just trying to help..

Here's a photo of the two chambers side-by-side.  The one I'm not using is marked: "use distilled water only" on one of the tubes.

Why did I spend the money?  Covid 19.  I want m machine to be comfortable and usable if we have another lock down.