Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Smart Watches/devices - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Smart Watches/devices (/Thread-Smart-Watches-devices)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Smart Watches/devices - DaveL - 07-18-2021

Decision for me....Garmin Vivoactive HR 3. On sale. Not expensive. No monthly fees. $200 CDN plus 13% sales tax of course. (Apple Watch 6 was $570 plus 13% sales tax. Plus a monthly charge...)

It's better than my old Garmin was.That was the Vivoactive HR (first generation watch). The Garmin ...3 is a GPS watch. And I installed a screen where I can see the time at night if I need to. It supposedly measures light sleep/deep sleep/REM

RE: Smart Watches/devices - jlfinkels - 07-18-2021

(07-18-2021, 06:50 AM)DaveL Wrote: Decision for me....Garmin Vivoactive HR 3.  On sale. Not expensive. No monthly fees. $200 CDN plus 13% sales tax of course.  (Apple Watch 6 was $570 plus 13% sales tax. Plus a monthly charge...)

It's better than my old Garmin was.That was the Vivoactive HR (first generation watch).  The Garmin ...3 is a GPS watch. And I installed a screen where I can see the time at night if I need to.  It supposedly measures light sleep/deep sleep/REM

Makes sense. If it does what you need it to and the accuracy is decent, it is the right choice for you. I only use a “smart watch” (actually a fitness tracker) for tracking sleep to compare sleep stages to an OSCAR report when I run it, so I went with an inexpensive refurb Fitbit Charge 4.

RE: Smart Watches/devices - DaveL - 07-18-2021

Charge 4 would be better.
I wanted the analog screen to show what I needed. I bought a C4; I couldn't read the screen at night without reading glasses. Since I woke up a number of times and tried to read the screen each time it didn't work for me. The C4 sleep report would be better than mine, which I believe is a 3rd generation Garmin.

It's much better than my old Vivoactive Hr watch--1st generation sleep report.

RE: Smart Watches/devices - DaveL - 08-13-2021

well the Garmin Vivoactive 3 didn't work out for me. It didn't know when I went to sleep; I'd lose 2 hours records every night. It didn't show any deep sleep. It showed Rem.

So I didn't know whether the broken Garmin Vivoactive HR was wrong, the Garmin Vivoactive 3 was wrong, or I was wrong. I took it back after erasing all my data.

I bought an Apple iWatch 6. It wasn't so painful because I had a credit of $226 Cdn from the Garmin purchase. And I price matched with Amazon, so there was a $45 dollar saving there.

I wanted the ECG ability.
I wanted the blood oxygen level ability.

I also got all the apps on it. Complications. (aptly named for this old guy.)

What I learned:
* sleep report is not so good. BUT it does tell me better how much time I'm awake. Apparently the Garmin watches failed at that.
* It doesn't record sleep--light, deep, REM. Not so bad. I'm not obsessing about Deep sleep now....so I don't mind
* It DOES have relaxation aids. Simple breathing aids. And when I'm stressed i do that. Makes me go within. Why did I need a watch to tell me that?

I'm grateful that I bought the iWatch 6. It makes life simpler. And it's worth it.

Prediction: about a month from now the price will go way down! I predict an iWatch 7...

RE: Smart Watches/devices - loucasg - 08-17-2021

(08-13-2021, 09:46 AM)DaveL Wrote: * sleep report is not so good.  BUT it does tell me better how much time I'm awake. Apparently the Garmin watches failed at that.
* It doesn't record sleep--light, deep, REM.  Not so bad. I'm not obsessing about Deep sleep now....so I don't mind
Get Autosleep, it's just $3.99, a one-off purchase (unlike other apps that need a subscription) and offers great reports, including deep sleep, REM etc. Has great reviews regarding the accuracy of reports.

apps.apple.com/app/autosleep-track-sleep-on-watch/id1164801111

RE: Smart Watches/devices - YipeekiOH - 08-17-2021

I really like AutoSleep and it’s reporting. There is another app called HeartWatch that can be linked to AutoSleep. It is a nice “wellness” app which also looks at SPO2 numbers at various intervals through the night. I understand there is debate about accuracy of the SPO2 numbers reported by the Apple Watch 6. For me it mainly a curiosity rather than a necessity.

RE: Smart Watches/devices - cathyf - 08-17-2021

Does the Apple watch give you a count of the number of times awake? I'm trying to figure out if mine is high or low or what... I get 15-25 times awake per night. Which is probably 3-5 times per hour.

RE: Smart Watches/devices - DaveL - 08-18-2021

Hi cathyf

My i6 shows the report for the last week. Last night I was awake 3 times. I woke at 2 am, 3:30 am and 4 am, according to the display That's in the health module. Over the last week my average time in bed is reported as 7 hours 43 minutes; average time asleep is 6 hours 43 minutes.

How useful is that? Well I'm awake each night longer than I knew before. that's a big hit every night. However, I bet the fitbit is more accurate and tells you more.

I've just spent a while trying to help; I'm feeling very technically challenged. I've seen a list of times awake in previous looks. I can't find it now.

(08-17-2021, 04:17 PM)loucasg Wrote: Get Autosleep, it's just $3.99, a one-off purchase (unlike other apps that need a subscription) and offers great reports, including deep sleep, REM etc. Has great reviews regarding the accuracy of reports.

Thanks loucasg!

I'll do that.

Done

(08-17-2021, 04:17 PM)loucasg Wrote: Get Autosleep, it's just $3.99, a one-off purchase (unlike other apps that need a subscription) and offers great reports, including deep sleep, REM etc. Has great reviews regarding the accuracy of reports.

thanks loucasg

I bought the package.  heart watch.  auto sleep  auto wake  

I'm concerned about auto wake....the other two are good.

cathyf auto sleep looks like a real asset.  even if my Mack computer can't type it right.  AutoSleep  
There....phew.