Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Smart Watches/devices - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Smart Watches/devices (/Thread-Smart-Watches-devices)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Smart Watches/devices - kappa - 03-03-2021

(03-03-2021, 07:37 PM)DaveL Wrote: Help please---what youtube video?

The "this YouTube video" text in Hydrangea's post is a link to a video from youtube channel "The Quantified Scientist", where Rob ter Horst, a post doc in Austria, reviews a bunch of smart watches and other sleep monitoring devices and (typically) compares their results to those from a Hypnodyne ZMax sleep monitor.

RE: Smart Watches/devices - DaveL - 03-03-2021

Thaks kappa! and hydrangea.

edit:

I would love to see a record of blood oxygen levels. So all these posts are important to me. I'm grateful that I have a better cpap machine. My ResMed 10 is a delight. I enjoy using MyAir on it.
If the battery life was longer on the iWatch 6 the Canadian price of over $600 would be easier to accept.
My Garmin Vivoactive HR keeps working...but lacks the blood oxygen level recording feature. Battery lasts about 6 days; recharging only takes an hour or so.

RE: Smart Watches/devices - Hydrangea - 03-03-2021

Thanks, Kappa!

Oops, sorry, DaveL. Colorblindness sneaks in at inopportune times!

In case anyone had trouble finding it, here's the link: https://youtu.be/FASpnYXZ61Y

I found his info very helpful, especially his summary at the end.

RE: Smart Watches/devices - DaveL - 03-03-2021

Hydrangea it sneaks in every day. I can't pick clothes colours so I dress conservatively. If I have something with a bolder colour then I probably won't wear it. And as a photographer I can't post process.
All that's ok. I get by.

Don't know why optometrists don't test colour screens and make up colour corrective glasses for people like me.

the glasses you can buy retail cost well over $700 Canadian. And I'm not going to spend that much money without trying them first.

RE: Smart Watches/devices - 2SleepBetta - 03-11-2021

(03-03-2021, 04:22 AM)2SleepBetta Wrote: My uses of 50I output? I glance at how it correlates with flow rate and motion disturbances, and note the durations of drops and the nightly average. I wouldn't miss it much if it quit now (accelerometers supplanted its little help). Desperate with high AHI and long OA's I got a 50I shortly after I began APAP. 

I post this to be clearer about my view of oximeter devices for those with sleep disordered breathing and to evoke/provoke more comment about the value, if any, of sleep trackers for those having significant levels of UARS, with and without micro-, mini- and full blown (no pun) arousals. The OP, posted comments and, now, further probing by me and others will help us all understand these devices and either use them to greater advantage or save our money for other uses.

First:

Unintentionally, my earlier post's comment, quoted above, seems dismissive about use of oximeters to help understand and monitor our sleep. It gave the wrong impression.

My oximeter and its output graphs in SleepyHead and in the Contec software became a "must" for a time in my early treatment. They were most valuable after I saw my OSA was out of control. Total times in apnea (TTIA) were as high as 36% of the sleep session. There were lots of 90-second OA's and many were much longer.  The scary SpO2 information motivated action to fix what turned out to be my simple and bad case of OSA and its positional and chin-tucker cofactors . 

When struggling and knowing nothing at all about OSA,  I knew only that long and high density apneas were a serious matter and I marveled at MDs' and most sleepers' preoccupation with getting AHI (apneic frequencies) down to the "treated " 5.0 AHI number . Little or no attention was/is given to TTIA nor to the length of individual apneas (my narrow interests then). It's reported by this link that one OA of about 5 minutes can begin to kill a normothermic brain ; to me that doesn't mean 10 to 30 second apenas are benign when frequent.

Second:
All that said, pulse oximeters, as we know, are not  sleep trackers, the OP topic,  the way I understand the term "tracker". They definitely can be useful adjuncts for many: warn us or show us low SpO2 and heart rates that are too high, too low or or too irregular. Beyond those warnings, I believe HR and SpO2 graphs, together with OA clusters can give some indication of the supine sleep position.

I haven't looked back to check old and more troubled sleep session archives (when OAs were most troubling and I did not have an accelerometer), but wouldn't be surprised if I found that in some periods, right after selected sharp HR rises, I would see conspicuous episodes with more OAs and with greater and more frequent SpO2 drops and rises: those episodes lasting until the next big shift and a likely evening out of flow rate. In other words, such episodes (clusters of OAs paricularly) would signal, I speculate, a probable period of near-supine sleep and/or chin-tucking.  

In my case with a pacemaker and OAs negligible, sudden sharp HR increases, from my base lower rate of 60 hz, typically indicate large bodily movements, which my accelerometer shows. Those movements increase the air flow rate and tidal volume causing rises in SpO2. 

Third:
Seeing the posts mentioning how sleep tracking watches performed well in detecting sleep and its stages was surprising. I've become skeptical about the usefulness and validity of sleep trackers for persons other than insomniacs, those with poor sleep hygiene and those whose sleep is impacted by only OSA, CA and/or H. In my opinion those persons with significant inspiratory flow limitations (IFL) and UARS will get little help from the consumer market "trackers".

That is because my sleep stage analyses, using a (if not the) front running consumer level sleep assessment device (the Dreem 2, with its EEG-like sensors), have often been contradictory and nearly always inconclusive. I, with significant IFL, claim that my various flow rate (i.e., breathing) disturbances may (or do) result in arousals: from full wake ups (at my bladder or alarm clock's call)  to arousals and microarousals of the kind we are unaware. 

How would I know?  On one hand, aside from sleep studies (with PSG EEG), ApneaBoard experts--with deep background but without benefit of EEG information from the troubled sleepers do comment that certain FR patterns indicate arousals. On the other hand, I see my own concurrent and huge bursts of FR and bodily movement waveform disturbances. Ideopathically such disturbances frequently and roughly occur in the "middle  (or in the inner part) of any continuous sleep stage segment and sometimes those disturbances also occur near a change of that stage from Deep or REM to Light or from any stage to WAKE. Upon spotting a breathing-motion disturbance near one of those stage changes it often happens that the stage did not change when a like disturbance occurred minutes earlier in the same stage. It seems likely that an EEG done as part of a PSG sleep study would be far more sensitive and discriminating. It would show an arousal at the earlier occurrence or at both occurrences if the beginning stage were restored and then interrupted a second time.

The D2 may do well in "detecting arousals" as penumbras of sufficiently sleep disturbing OA' and CA's. Otherwise, it strikes me that the D2 is blind to most other arousals. If that $499 device, with its multiple scalp electrodes as EEG sensors and with its optical HR and SpO2 sensors, fails to accurately report sleep quality, for those with arousals, then my rebuttable presumption is that most of the mentioned "trackers" do fail and are blind there as well. However, for those without significant inspiratory flow limitations but having OA's and CA's the trackers may be very helpful in showing the three stages of sleep for those relatively  less troubled sleepers.

I think the pricey Dreem 2 ("D2")--$499 new, still? (my used one was $350 after Dreem reneged on their $299 offer blunder)--is credited with quite accurate EEG detection of sleep stages. It may be it lives up to its reputation for those who do not have those small arousals we do not sense nor remember. But my remembering of my D2's misreported wakeful periods together with my seeing the D2's unresponsiveness  to huge flow rate and motion curve disturbances tell me the D2 has little value for those with UARS and inspiratory flow limitations ("IFL"), say, and miniarousals which leave one unrested. That being the case, I ask readers and posters how many of these wrist-worn n X $100 +/- devices can be helfpful for, say, any IFL or UARS affected person dealing either with significant levels of flow limitations or with near continuous deformations of inspiratory flow rate peaks. (Note that in the latter, but most extreme case, constant real but undetectable flow limitation would be continuous--in the extreme case and exagerating here--from the sleepers first to last laborious breath of sleep, so no flow limitation would even be flagged by our machine because the flow rate curve envelope did not vary enough to show any change in the recent inspiratory flows.)

RE: Smart Watches/devices - GuppyDRV - 03-11-2021

2SleepBetta,

One of the best and most thoughtful post I’ve ever read. I’m on the UARS end of the spectrum and find position influences my night sleep as much as any other factor. I’m an avid bio hacker and use many devices. The Wellue O2 ring has proven invaluable to my therapy. I can routinely post sub 1 AHI every night but still have O2 desaturations well into the 80’s for an hour at a time. Needless to say I never felt well rested despite the fact that my doctor said I was fully treated.

Once I discovered the positional aspect I added an inexpensive soft cervical collar and like magic my sleep changed. I quantify using Oura and the Fitbit Sense! I’ve posted two screen captures of Oura showing my deep sleep increasing from an average of 45 minutes to well over 1:30 per night. The other shows a corresponding decrease in my respiratory rate. Even my doctor said he has to re-think his understanding of positional effects on therapy. The change in trend is stunning and exactly corresponds with the addition of the soft cervical collar.

Without these devices I would never have know where to look. My take is that they are best for big picture long term trends. I have never used them for detailed AHI tracking etc.... I can also credit the OSCAR software and others posting on this forum. Your write up was excellent and most appreciated.

GuppyDRV  

RE: Smart Watches/devices - 2SleepBetta - 03-12-2021

(11-28-2020, 10:29 PM)GuppyDRV Wrote: I use the Oura and the Fitbit Sense. They aliegn almost lock step which was not the case with prior versions of the Fitbit. 

GuppyDRV,

I , 2SleepBetta, inserted italicized comments between youir comments. Thanks for posting and for your affirming attaboy below my second post in this thread.  There's no disputing that a persistent and deeply low SpO2 can be overlooked even though it is a First Thing to attack, as we and others discover on our own and eventuallly do attack as we work on AHI.

Re your Oura and Fitbit Sense, I only recognize those as brand IDs and know just a bit about their uses. If there is additional specific model ID for devices you use, please share those. I may add one or both to my sleep device collection and would want to get the model that either is highly recommended or seen as quite satisfactory by a knowledgeable user. Too often the latest, highest priced models are not as good as their predecessors, though they will be more expensive and will likely offer some new minor enhancement.

The Oura has been put up against PSG and does really well. Both use many metrics to register sleep stages. The one I haven’t heard mentioned here is HRV.....worth a read if you’ve never heard of the concept.

Are there consumer level HRV devices? Do they output info to CSV  or TEXT files? I' believe I have seen that HRV metrics reveal a lot about health and life expectancy, but haven't seen mention of sleep stage detection.

The Peripheral Arterial Tone signal (PAT), as detected and interpreted, e.g.,, by Itamar's WatchPAT  may be equal to or better at detecting and scoring arousals than an EEG which must be interpreted by a sleep lab technician. I'll make note to check out use of HRV for sleep stage sensing and reporting; thanks for the pointer. Cost of the WatchPat device (with? without? software) the last time I looked was approx. $2,750--way out of line for most of us. (But I'm aware of one knowledgeable sleeper who paid half or more of that amount for a highly sophisticated Nonin HR and SpO2 sensing and reporting system. I think he input the system data into a ResMed blower. 

I've toyed with the idea of requesting a WatchPat sleep study to run concurrent with my own devices for comparison; those tests, I believe are reasonably priced. It crossed my mind to  post and ask whether there would be any interest in forming a group to buy a WatchPat to share on some basis, maybe donate it to AB for sharing (the idea is fraught with legal, medical, and licensing complications, no doubt). Again, those most interested in such collaboration, if any, would be UARS sufferers with their low AHI but always unrestful sleep (maybe PLM and RLS sufferers would be interested, too). 

I also use a Wellue O2 ring. Best device I’ve ever bought. If you think CPAP in anyway is not giving you the results you’re expecting, get one of these. The biggest lesson for me is that even with a sub 1 AHI my O2 chart can still look like garbage with desaturations bellow 90 for 40-50 minutes at a time. Yet this would be considered treated by most Sleep Doctors. The answer to the question you’re thinking was positionally induced flow limitations. Set the flags right in OSCAR and you’ll see. Added a soft cervical collar and charts look like a flatline now. Would have never known without the Wellue O2 ring.

Again, our sharing, attentiveness, interest, motivation and the right collection of gadgets can lead to simple solutions and inexpensive betterments  (collars) we might not have discovered nor tried without our good information from basic devices and ApneaBoard.

Deep sleep doubled and I feel the best I have ever felt as a result. If you can afford the technology than get some. Might also change your mind on drinking close to bedtime!

Here you put your finger on my current state of denial about self-impaired sleep and need for better sleep hygiene: I have a relatively good sensor, the Dreem 2, telling me I'm Deep Sleep deficient (an understatement because the D2 is blind to short arousals). Two to three things contribute to that: irregular sleep hours, late screen time and too much time thinking about the post WWII trajectory of our country (its precipitous decline) and the little I can do (and have done) to flatten or raise it for my line's future. At least, as in your closing sentence, and thanks to prodding of my sleep monitoring devices, I have switched to decaf for coffee after 1600 hr , got some blue blocker glasses  and done some post 1000 hr screen color adjustments. My 0.1 AHI sleep has improved, even to getting some Deep Sleep.

That final sentence of yours characterizes most all my past year's thinking about unflagged and unscored breathing impairments in sleep --specifically, our unflagged arousals  and  labored breathing (due to excessively negative esophageal pressures). How can we laymen discover our kind of more subtle problems, what can we do about them, and what tools and flow rate curve signs are there to help us?  I still try to wring more out of the Dreem 2 sleep stage curve and  may probe the HRV and WatchPat matters. A first (and still elusive) goal was to provide a simple set of illustrations of  flow rate curve disturbances that are typical of (at least my) breathing disturbances that cause arousals. With such a start of a taxonomy of arousal signatures (primarily in the flow rate curve), I could devisea self-scoring system to evaluate whether certain one-at-a -time life style, Rx, food group or other change actually does benefit my sleep and might help others. But hope of recognizing arousals without benefit of higher resolution EEG or other sensors is dimming.

Hope this helps.

GuppyDRV

RE: Smart Watches/devices - cathyf - 03-20-2021

I can report that when I line up the my fitbit graphs to the sleep study report, the fitbit seems to get the sleep stages (but misses most of the arousals) and gets the heart rate, too. The "Estimated Oxygen Variation" doesn't seem to match with anything...

[attachment=30947]
[attachment=30946]
[attachment=30945]

RE: Smart Watches/devices - Doctor - 03-20-2021

(11-20-2020, 12:45 AM)Fourkidletts Wrote: Hey all!  I did a search for this, but nothing recent came up for me, so since the holidays are coming, I thought I'd ask.  

I'm looking at devices (under $100) that give you feedback on the quality of your sleep, as well as o2 and heartrate stats, with also some fitness tracking functions.  Anyone have one they like?  It seems the pulse ox portion of these, if they are on the wrist, aren't super accurate.  There's also the ring one called Oura, and something that goes on your thumb?  What is the recent data on these?  Any of them worth getting for tracking sleep info?

I'm testing eight different "smart" watches for the past 35 days, and the best sleep report so far is Garmin (VS4).  However:

1.  It often does not detect wake-ups during the sleep period
2.  Garmin has access to the data

Garmin has P02, P, fitness tracking, and more, but not BP.  It has been accurate for duration of sleep, and probably for REM detection as judged by the congruence of waking up from dreams.

The best bang for the buck, so far, has been this:  Link removed. Search Amazon for LCW Fitness Tracker

However, the software is a bit boring, lacks colorization, but it has P02, BP, fitness.  Only bug is that sleep duration is not accurate and it starts hours after sleep initiation, but is accurate with wake up.  P02 is close or spot on compared to finger oximeter, and BP is okay compared to cuff technique.

I don't like rings on my fingers, but wristwatches feel fine.  

I have screenshots from most of these watches.  I'm not a jock, but enjoy sleep monitoring, P02, and BP detection/analysis.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, certain types of commercial links are prohibited in this forum.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----

RE: Smart Watches/devices - biorn - 03-20-2021

Hello,

I post my few contribution here.

withings Scanwatch:

• the spo2 is well measured but only every 30min during sleep, so useless.
  • The sleep stage tracking is completely wrong. (woke up at 7:00 and the watch told me I was in deep sleep at 9:30)
  • Heart rate tracking works well except when running
  • Breath tracking no corelations with cpap.
Fitbit charge 4:
  • the spo2 is useless too, just a chart of the variation rate.
  • The sleep stage tracking seem to be good. (lot's of correlation with my cpap records)
  • Heart rate tracking is worse
  • lots of bugs