Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Suddenly have sores from same mask - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Suddenly have sores from same mask (/Thread-Suddenly-have-sores-from-same-mask)

Suddenly have sores from same mask - DotLove - 11-30-2020

I have used the AirTouch F20 mask for months and loved it because I finally found a comfy mask with no problems.
Now suddenly I'm getting sores, red marks, bruising  around the bridge of the nose and part way down the nose. I haven't done anything different, and I don't know why this is happening.

Any suggestions?

I know I'm supposed to keep using the same thread each time but I have no Idea how to find my old threads....sorry.

RE: Suddenly have sores from same mask - SarcasticDave94 - 11-30-2020

Using a different thread in this case is fine, it's a new, separate subject that needs attention.

My 3 suggestions about the mask discomfort:

1. Look at Supplier #31 Pad A Cheek. They sell padding that goes between your face and the mask.

2. Alternately you can recycle an old t-shirt or similar. Cut a section out of the donor shirt to make a handmade mask cushion.

3. Another option is if you think the ResMed F20 is going to keep causing issues, maybe look at a Fisher & Paykel Simplus or Vitera full face mask. I have both these F&P masks, along with the F20. I find the F&Ps are much more comfortable than the F20, and I get these to be almost leak free much easier as well.

Good luck and let us know if you get the issue fixed.

RE: Suddenly have sores from same mask - staceyburke - 11-30-2020

To find old threads - just click on your name under the avatar (picture) and you can get a list of all threads and posts you have made here.

RE: Suddenly have sores from same mask - OpalRose - 11-30-2020

It's fine to open this new thread as it is a different subject.  But if you ever want to search for a past thread, just go to your profile and it will show all posts and threads you've made.

With that said, I don't use a full face mask, but you could try adjusting the straps. Another thing to try for irritation is mask liners. Although they can be expensive, some folk make their own.

Even a piece of moleskin around the bridge of your nose would help.

RE: Suddenly have sores from same mask - DaveL - 11-30-2020

A question....how old is your mask?

I find that the cushion in my masks doesn't last as long as I expect.

RE: Suddenly have sores from same mask - Big Guy - 11-30-2020

Initially, I started out using an AirFit F20 mask. That's the mask I used when I did my two night in-lab sleep study. For quite a while, I was okay with it. It did leave some marks on my face, but I adapted to it and it was no longer an issue.

Then, the AirFit F30 came out and I was intrigued. I had my DME supplier switch from the F20 to the F30 the next time I was due a new mask. 

I'm liking it a lot better. More comfortable and less intimidating. Although I'm a mouth breather, I can breathe thru my nose with the F30. I don't do it for very long, as it's an instinct that's tough to overcome. 

Anyways, I'm sold on the F30. Once in a great while, I'll go back to the F20, but it's not for very long.

RE: Suddenly have sores from same mask - DotLove - 11-30-2020

It's a brand new mask, so I'm thinking it's defective in some way? I can always try another mask because I was sent three. I've never had trouble with that mask until I started using this one.  
Now medicare won't pay for a new mask every month and the head strap gear, water container and hose every 6 months. 
Could it be that my head straps are causing a problem? It is 2 months old and I'm not due for another one until February..
I have problems sometimes with the Velcro staying in place.
I called supply company and I was told I could buy new head strap out of pocket.
I will definitely ask about the new mask you mentioned.

RE: Suddenly have sores from same mask - staceyburke - 11-30-2020

If you are going to buy anything out of pocket, check prices of the suppliers in the suppliers list at the top of the site.  Also, many of the headgear and masks are sold at Amazon at a much better price than your supply co.

RE: Suddenly have sores from same mask - Big Guy - 11-30-2020

You might try washing the headgear. I do so in hot water and dish soap. It tightens up the straps nicely. 

I let my headgear soak for a good 30 min., or so. I then swish it around vigorously, all the while squeezing it good with my hands.