Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Pulse Ox Smart Watch Monitoring - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Pulse Ox Smart Watch Monitoring (/Thread-Pulse-Ox-Smart-Watch-Monitoring)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Pulse Ox Smart Watch Monitoring - letsrun100 - 12-16-2020

podsJ wrote:
"So basically, from what I have been gathering on Garmin forums is that the spo2 readings can be taken with a pinch of salt? Haha"

Well, I wonder why that is? I’ve tried wearing mine with the sensor on the inside of my wrist thinking it might get better contact(?). But that didn’t make any difference. I would think most of these O2 sensors that are in the fitness watches are pretty much the same. I believe they are different than stand alone O2 sensors which read through the finger as opposed to sending out the little red LED light and receiving a certain amount of light back at the receiving sensor. I imagine the algorithms are different between watches too. Anyway, I pretty much ignore my Garmin for O2 stats.
Test

RE: Pulse Ox Smart Watch Monitoring - podsJ - 12-16-2020

(12-16-2020, 07:01 PM)letsrun100 Wrote: podsJ wrote:
"So basically, from what I have been gathering on Garmin forums is that the spo2 readings can be taken with a pinch of salt? Haha"

Well, I wonder why that is? I’ve tried wearing mine with the sensor on the inside of my wrist thinking it might get better contact(?). But that didn’t make any difference. I would think most of these O2 sensors that are in the fitness watches are pretty much the same. I believe they are different than stand alone O2 sensors which read through the finger as opposed to sending out the little red LED light and receiving a certain amount of light back at the receiving sensor. I imagine the algorithms are different between watches too. Anyway, I pretty much ignore my Garmin for O2 stats.
Test

Yeah i am really not sure. I know they mention wearing it higher up the wrist but I wonder if it is just new technology for them and they might have rushed it out so it isnt the best quality.

Be interesting to see if it improves any time soon.

RE: Pulse Ox Smart Watch Monitoring - DaveL - 08-18-2021

My friend was diagnosed with sleep apnea at age 70 or so. He stopped breathing 103 times an hour...

I'm so glad I pushed for a sleep study back then.

I just used a Garmin Vivoactive 3 for about 2 weeks; took it back and left with an iw6. I had a Garmin Vivoactive HR for about 4? years. Transitioning from a Garmin HR to a VA3 was hard...there was no similarity in the numbers generated. I tried a FitBit Charge 4 (affordable; modern!) but I couldn't read the screen when I woke up during the night. It failed the *old* test. Somehow wearing a nasal mask with a Knightsbridge Dual Strap I was cranky when I couldn't read the time. (Shut off machine.Take off mask.Take off Knightsbridge Dual Band. Put on glasses. Read watch.Some swearing.Take off glasses.Put on Knightsbridge DS.Put on mask.Connect hose.turn on machine.Oh my....)